PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Druid Archetype: Lycanthropy - Circle of the Beast

jprepo1
2016-02-26, 06:03 PM
Hello all, I have updated an old Druid archetype to 5e to allow for controlled Lycanthropy, as I found the blurb in the monster manual on PC lycanthropy to be overpowered.. I am more interested in lore than balance, but I feel that, at current, a min-maxer would have no reason to choose anything but a Werebear. I'm not really keen on rewriting the stat blocks for each were creature, but am looking for ideas on other ways to balance them out more.

I'm trying to keep the archetype as 'true' to 5e as I can (i.e. moderate benefits, few, if any, penalties)

Thanks in advance for the input.

Circle of the Beast
Lycanthropy is one of the most feared curses known to exist, causing even the wisest and kindest to become nothing more than a vicious beast. It is with this danger in mind that some druids willfully infect themselves with this curse, so as to better combat it. Being able to move, and think, like their quarry has made them a necessary, if shunned and little known, sect of Druidic studies. Using their magical connection with nature to suppress aspects of the curse, members of the Circle of the Fang are often loners, never truly accepted by civilized lands, and fearful of what might happen if they themselves lose control.

Hybrid Form
By using choosing this circle at second level, you gain the ability to transform into the were creature associated with your particular choice, as well as its animal form. While some of the effects are not as powerful as a traditionally cursed Lycanthrope, you gain certain abilities, as listed below. Because of the concentration required to maintain this form and stave off the curse, you may only Wildshape into the hybrid or animal form of your particular type of lycanthropy.

Werebear. The character gains a Strength of 19 if his or her
score isn't already higher, and a+ 1 bonus to AC while in bear
or hybrid form (from natural armor). Attack and damage rolls
for the natural weapons are based on Strength.
Wereboar. The character gains a Strength of 17 if his or
her score isn't already higher, and a+ 1 bonus to AC while
in boar or hybrid form (from natural armor). Attack and
damage rolls for the tusks are based on Strength. For the
Charge- trait, the DC is 8 +the character's proficiency bonus+
Strength modifier.
Wererat. The character gains a Dexterity of 15 if his or
her score isn't already higher. Attack and damage rolls for
the bite are based on whichever is higher of the character's
Strength and Dexterity.
Weretiger. The character gains a Strength of 17 if his or
her score isn't already higher. Attack and damage rolls for
the natural weapons are based on Strength. For the Pounce
trait, the DC is 8 + the character's proficiency bonus +
Strength modifier.
Werewolf. The character gains a Strength of 15 if his or her
score isn't already higher, and a+ 1 bonus to AC while in wolf

Curse Suppression and Side Effects
Because of the Druidic magic involved with keeping the curse under control for the Druid, not all of the Lycanthrope’s abilities manifest themselves. You do not receive the Damage Immunities associated with your form, and you are also unable to pass your curse to others, outside of a willing participant in certain Druidic Rituals. Because you are actively working against the curse to find a balance, when you return to humanoid form after having been in Hybrid form, you gain 1 point of exhaustion.

Primal Body
Starting at 6th level, when you transform into Hybrid form, you gain half of your proficiency bonus, rounded down, to your primary attribute in that form. Your attacks in hybrid form count as magical for purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical attacks and damage.

Supernatural Resistance
Starting at 10th level, you may tap into your curse’s power to augment your defenses. As a bonus action, you may gain resistance to all piercing, bludgeoning, and slashing damage from non-magical or non-silvered weapons until the end of your next turn. At level 14, you can tap into this resistance even father, gaining immunity from all piercing, bludgeoning, and slashing damage from non-magical or non-silvered weapons until the end your next turn when you take this bonus action.

Mastery of the Form

Starting at 14th level, you have totally mastered your curse. You gain 1 extra attack while in Hybrid form, and no longer gain a level of exhaustion when reverting to your humanoid form. Additionally, you may pass your curse on to a willing Druid participant by performing a ritual infection of the curse over the course of 24 hours.

jprepo1
2016-02-28, 08:43 PM
Based on Feedback from various sources, and my own noticing, here is an update. Would love to get some more feedback to help balance it more.

Lycanthropy Part 2: A work in Progress
After discussion, and largely positive feedback, I have finished version 2 of the Druid Circle of the Beast lycanthropic archetype. Although I wanted to avoid over complicated tables, and trust my players to RP, from a min-max perspective there was really no reason to play anything other than a Werebear.

With that in mind, I balanced the various forms out, giving each a total of 13 points to be spread out differently among st the forms for increases to STR, DEX, and CON. On top of that, I gave each form a normalized base HP, that can now slowly level over time with the player.

Feed is appreciated, as always!

Circle of the Beast
Lycanthropy is one of the most feared curses known to exist, causing even the wisest and kindest to become nothing more than a vicious beast. It is with this danger in mind that some druids willfully infect themselves with this curse, so as to better combat it. Being able to move, and think, like their quarry has made them a necessary, if shunned and little known, sect of Druidic studies. Using their magical connection with nature to suppress aspects of the curse, members of the Circle of the Fang are often loners, never truly accepted by civilized lands, and fearful of what might happen if they themselves lose control.

Hybrid Form
By using choosing this circle at second level, you gain the ability to transform into the were creature associated with your particular choice, as well as its animal form. While some of the effects are not as powerful as a traditionally cursed Lycanthrope, you gain certain abilities, such as proficiency in its natural unarmed attacks, and as listed below. Because of the concentration required to maintain this form and stave off the curse, you may only Wildshape into the hybrid or animal form of your particular type of lycanthropy. If there are multiple choices of animals, such as bears, only one can be chosen for this Circle. Your hybrid and animal forms share statistics, which are detailed in the table below.

Circle Werebear. HP: 27, Strength of 17, a Dexterity of 10,
a Constitution of 16, and a + 1 bonus to AC while in bear
Keen Smell. The werebear has advantage on Wisdom
(Perception) checks that rely on smell.
Multiattack (Bear or Hybrid Form Only). In bear form,
the werebear makes two claw attacks. In hybrid form,
The werebear may make 2 vlaw attacks or 1 claw and
1 weapon attack.
Bite (Bear or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack:
reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d10 + STR modifier piercing damage.
Claw (Bear or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack:
reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + STR modifier slashing damage.

Circle Wereboar. HP: 27, Strength of 17, a Dexterity of 10,
A Constitution of 17, and a+ 1 bonus to AC while
in boar or hybrid form (from natural armor). Attack and
damage rolls for the tusks are based on Strength. For the
Charge- trait, the DC is 8 +the character's proficiency bonus+
Strength modifier.
Charge (Boar or Hybrid Form Only). if the wereboar moves
at least 15 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with
its tusks on the same turn, the target takes an extra 7 (2d6)
slashing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on
a DC 8 + the character’s proficiency bonus + the character’s
Strength modifier strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Multiattack (Humanoid or Hybrid Form Only). The were boar
makes two attacks, only one of which can be with its tusks.
Tusks (Boar or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack:
reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+ STR modifier slashing damage.

Circle Wererat. HP: 21, Strength of 12, Dexterity of 18,
and a Constitution of 13. Attack and damage rolls for
the bite are based on whichever is higher of the character's
Dexterity.
Keen Smell. The were rat has advantage on Wisdom
(Perception) checks that rely on smell.
Multiattack (Humanoid or Hybrid Form Only). The were rat
makes two attacks, only one of which can be a bite.
Bite (Rat or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack:
reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+ DEX modifier piercing
damage.

Circle Weretiger. HP: 24. Strength of 13, a Dexterity of 16,
and a Constitution of 14. Attack and damage rolls for
the natural weapons are based on Dexterity. For the Pounce
trait, the DC is 8 + the character's proficiency bonus +
Dexterity modifier.
Keen Hearing and Smell. The weretiger has advantage on
Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
Pounce (Tiger or Hybrid Form Only). If the weretiger moves at
least 15 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a
claw attack on the same turn , that target must succeed on a
DC 8 + character’s proficiency bonus + character’s Dexterity
modifier Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target
is prone, the weretiger can make one bite attack against it as a
bonus action.
Multiattack (Animal or Hybrid Form Only). In hybrid or
animal form, the weretiger can make 1 bite and 1 claw
attack. In hybrid form, it may make 1 claw or bite and 1
weapon attack.
Bite (Tiger or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack:
reach 5 ft ., one target. Hit: 1d10+ DEX modifier piercing
damage.
Claw (Tiger or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack:
reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8+ DEX modifier slashing damage.

Circle Werewolf. HP: 24. Strength of 16, Dexterity of 13,
a Constitution of 14, and a+ 1 bonus to AC while in wolf
Keen Hearing and Smell. The werewolf has advantage on
Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
Multiattack (Hybrid Form Only). In hybrid form, the
Werewolf can make 1 claw or bite and 1 weapon attack.
Bite (Wolf or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack:
reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8+ STR modifier piercing
damage.
Claws (Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft.,
one creature. Hit: 2d4+ STR modifier slashing damage.

Curse Suppression and Side Effects
Because of the Druidic magic involved with keeping the curse under control for the Druid, not all of the Lycanthrope’s abilities manifest themselves. You do not receive the Damage Immunities associated with your form, and you are also unable to pass your curse to others, outside of a willing participant in certain Druidic Rituals. Because you are actively working against the curse to find a balance, when you return to humanoid form after having been in Hybrid or animal form, you gain 1 point of exhaustion (as described in appendix A of the PHB).

Primal Body
Starting at 6th level, when you transform into Hybrid or animal form, you gain half of your proficiency bonus, rounded down, to your primary attribute in that form, and as 1d8+ your forms’ Constitution modifier to maximum hit points while Wildshaped. Your natural unarmed attacks in hybrid and animal form count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical attacks and damage.

Supernatural Resistance
Starting at 10th level, you may tap into your curse’s power to augment your defenses. As a bonus action, you may gain resistance to all piercing, bludgeoning, and slashing damage from non-magical or non-silvered weapons until the end of your next turn. At level 14, you can tap into this resistance even father, gaining immunity from all piercing, bludgeoning, and slashing damage from non-magical or non-silvered weapons until the end your next turn when you take this bonus action.

Mastery of the Form

Starting at 14th level, you have totally mastered your curse. You gain 1 extra attack while in Hybrid form, and no longer gain a level of exhaustion when reverting to your humanoid form.

jprepo1
2016-03-05, 05:07 PM
I have uploaded v1.0 to the DMG in PDF form, here is an alternative link. Enjoy!

Druid Archetype - Circle of the Beast (https://www.dropbox.com/s/jw6tkt1syi3qjf9/Druid%20Archetype%20-%20Circle%20of%20the%20Beast.pdf?dl=0)

jprepo1
2016-03-08, 06:11 AM
I have taken feedback and updated this class to v1.1. The link above will direct to the updated location.

Notable changes:

-Beast and Hybdrid forms are now stronger, and level with the character in a slightly more powerful way. This was done to help make up for the loss of utility by being limited to one beast and hybrid form.
-Forms are now base d10 for HP, vice d8
-Exhaustion no longer occurs every time a character reverts to human form, only if doing so after using their last use of wildshape for the day. This keeps the feeling of it being a taxing curse to fight, without crippling the mechanics, as short rests can recharge your wild shapes.

jprepo1
2016-03-17, 05:55 PM
I have added v1.2, which adds Wereravens (found in the new Curse of Strahd) as a a new player were creature option. It can be found on the Dungeon Master's Guild Website (and if you are going to DL it, please do it from there if you can) and here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4d5ax207xi6hp0/druid%20lyca%20page%201.pdf?dl=0

Ryuujin
2016-03-24, 01:14 AM
I am not sure where the feedback is, as I don't see any in this thread. But I looked over your archetype and while I like the idea of a controlled lycanthrope this archetype is pretty much strictly inferior to a Moon Druid.

The things that are slightly better than Moon Druid are:

* +1 AC, assuming you have a semi decent AC to start this will be better than most of the Moon Druid's forms.

* Only needing 1 use of Wild Shape to turn into a lycanthrope at 10th level, vs the 2 uses for an Elemental form which is pretty much strictly better than the lycanthropes until 14th level and have the same resistances.

* The 14th level feature which lets you use a bonus action to gain immunity to non magical non silvered weapons for a round, which is better than the resistance elemental forms get. Though the update requiring 2 spell slots to use basically nerfs it again.

* At 14th level this option gets an extra attack, stacking presumably with multiattack, which will give them more attacks than most of the Moon Druid options.

The things that are worse than the Moon Druid:

* There are forms that have better stats than any of these options. The half proficiency to physical stats at 6th helps a little, but not enough.

* The elemental forms at 10th level have the same resistance, tend to have a main stat at 20 which these aren't going to beat, and have more utility.

* Moon Druid has a lot more utility, even if some of that utility comes at the cost of combat capability.

* Pretty much any time an archetype gives exhaustion in exchange for using one of its abilities, especially an ability that is going to be used every or even nearly every fight, that archetype automatically fails. I have yet to see an exception. This is just a terrible idea. It is why the Berserker Barbarian is perhaps the worst archetype in the game. All those nice abilities the Berserker gets are completely washed away in the terribleness of that one feature.

Basically while I like the idea I don't see much point in using this instead of just using a Moon Druid, possibly reflavoring some of the Moon Druid forms.

jprepo1
2016-04-28, 05:27 PM
v 1.21 is up! Circle of the Beast now grants the ability to Wildshape as a bonus action, bringing it in line with the similarly shapechanging focused Circle of the Moon. Also, Wererats now have the Nimble Escape ability, to highlight their stealthy and nimble nature.

Obviously I don;t mind anyone having this for free, otherwise I would not post it (link should be updated above), however, I would appreciate downloads through the DMG, as it helps me keep track, and auto alerts you to updates when I post them.

Enjoy!