PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help Me Out: Unchained Monk Archetype

mctanuki
2016-03-03, 12:50 AM
So, I've been working on this a while (since before Unchained, but I like the Unchained Monk better, so I altered it for use with that). The basic idea is a Monk who focuses all their efforts on physical training, to the exclusion of things like magic and Ki. Brawler is similar, but A. has the wrong flavor for what I'm going for and B. is just as much a pain in the ass with Martial Flexibility and Combat maneuvers as the Monk's Ki abilities, which I want to get away from entirely. The Martial Artist archetype is closer, but I just don't like the direction they went with it. It's not the character I want to play, I suppose (and it's not Unchained-compatible anyway, and like I said, I like the Unchained Monk better).

I also wanted a Monk archetype that doesn't use weapons - or at very least not as their first choice. I wanted something that's fairly flexible, allowing different players to use the same archetype to make PCs with fairly different skillsets, rather than forcing them into the exact mold of the character I'm creating. To that end, I've made what I'm calling the Taijutsu no Tatsujin.

I'd like to hear any input anybody has. Does it seem over- or under-powered? Should I do things at different levels, or different things entirely? Does this strike you as a useful archetype? Have I, in my travels, missed some other homebrew Class or Archetype that accomplishes the same goals, thus making my entire endeavor pointless?

Taijutsu no Tatsujin (Body-Style Master)

The taijutsu no tatsujin believes spiritual perfection lies within physical perfection, quick reflexes, and mastery of hand-to-hand combat. Extremely disciplined in martial arts, they shun weapons, magic, and Ki, viewing them as crutches rather than viable combat tools.

Improved Initiative
At 1st Level, a taijutsu no tatsujin gains Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.
This ability replaces all weapon proficiencies

Increased Accuracy and Damage
Starting at 3rd Level, a taijutsu no tatsujin gains an Insight Bonus to their Unarmed attack and damage rolls equal to half their Wisdom Bonus (if any), rounded down. At level 12, this bonus increases to their full Wisdom bonus.
This ability replaces ki pool

Overwhelming Attack
At 3rd level, a taijutsu no tatsujin’s Unarmed attacks ignore 1 point of Damage Reduction
At 7th level, a taijutsu no tatsujin’s Unarmed attacks ignore 2 points of Damage Reduction
At 10th level, a taijutsu no tatsujin’s Unarmed attacks ignore 3 points of Damage Reduction
At 16th level, a taijutsu no tatsujin’s Unarmed attacks ignore 4 points of Damage Reduction
At 19th level, a taijutsu no tatsujin’s Unarmed attacks ignore 5 points of Damage Reduction
This ability replaces ki strike and flawless mind

Bonus Combat Feat
At 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, a taijutsu no tatsujin gains a bonus combat feat. For purposes of this bonus combat feat, the taijutsu no tatsujin counts as a Fighter with level equal to their monk level.
This ability replaces ki power

Without a Fight
At 4th level, a taijutsu no tatsujin gains a +2 bonus on Constitution checks made to Stabilize when Dying.
This ability replaces still mind

Toughness
At 5th level, a taijutsu no tatsujin gains Toughness as a bonus feat.
This ability replaces purity of body

Ferocious Combatant
At 13th level, a taijutsu no tatsujin gains the Ferocity trait (A creature with ferocity remains conscious and can continue fighting even if its hit point total is below 0. The creature is still staggered and loses 1 hit point each round. A creature with ferocity still dies when its hit point total reaches a negative amount equal to its Constitution score).
This ability replaces Tongue of the Sun and Moon

Keen Hands
At 17th level, a taijutsu no tatsujin increases the Threat Range of their Unarmed Attack by 1 step. This bonus stacks with the bonus provided by Improved Critical, and is added after the bonus Improved Critical provides (ie, a level 17 taijutsu no tatsujin with Improved Critical has a Threat Range on their Unarmed Attacks of 18-20).
This ability replaces Timeless Body

Pain Immunity
At 20th level, a taijutsu no tatsujin gains DR 5/- and Fast Healing equal to their Wisdom Bonus (if any).
This ability replaces perfect self

Specific worries I have:

Are they getting too many bonus feats? By level 20, they have 1 fewer than a Fighter (also, I'm terrible at math, so if I messed up numbers, lemme know?), but a lot more than a normal Unchained Monk. I used to have them gaining at the same rate a normal Unchained Monk gains Ki Powers, but that was WAY too many feats, as it turned out.
Is the ability to ignore a few points of all DR rather than completely overcome select types terrible, or an adequate substitution?
Should I replace Toughness with something better? Or is it a good substitute for being immune to all disease?
Should Keen Hands only step up your threat range by 1, or should it double it like Keen actually does? If that's the case, should it then not stack with Improved Crit?
Should I add additional attacks somewhere in here, to offset the inability to gain more through Ki?