PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Iterative attack homebrew system (the revival)

AndrusPr8
2016-03-03, 04:58 PM
I was cheking in this forum a previous threat about Iterative attacks and different homebrew systems

The system I homebrew simplify enormously a lot of traits, spells and feats into 1 concept:
You determine the result of a weapon attack with 1 die roll, multiple attacks add bonus Damage without adding more rolls.

1) Itterative attaks
Itterative attacks are gone, instead after a certain BAB level you get additional weapon dice (AWD) to your damage. You don't get penalties to your die roll if you perform a full round attack.

BAB 0 = 0 additional weapon dice (AWD) in full attack
BAB 6 = +1 AWD in full attack
BAB 11 = +2 AWD in full attack
BAB 16 = +3 AWD in full attack

2)Two weapon combat.
In a full round attack you can add the damage of your off-handed weapon to the total damage but penalize the attack roll. (The penalties to ATK Rolls are those of the good hand shown in the two handed combat table)

3) Critical strikes
Critical strikes do not multiply damage anymore, but give AWD if you critically hit succesfully.

Pros: Time saving. Attacks are solved in 1 roll that has to be analyzed deeply. All the complexity of an action only results in more or less dice added to DMG.

4) Bonus Damage
A huuuuuge list of spells, traits, feats and similar only add to the DMG modifier and NOT to the weapon damage. Meaning that big sized weapons turn into more dangerous stuff and the +X weapons turned into really valuable items (this adds damage to the weapon directly).
And if you wonder: No, the sneak attack doesn't count as weapon damage, it's a DMG modifier.

System Pros: Time saving
At first my players were not fond of this system, until things got reaaaaaally complex: Concealment, Strong winds, Sanctuary spell, Feats / Traits, Multiple-armed combat, all of these factors added dice after dice to each single attack roll. Roll everything once and define instantly what happens.

System Cons: Extreme results = Less realism. It is a hit or miss system.