PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The 5E Soul Knife

PallentisLunam
2016-03-06, 12:03 AM
So I've always loved the concept of this class and always hated how it's been implemented. I'm currently playing in a 5E campaign and my original character, for story reasons, has left the campaign. So I went to my DM and I showed him the Expanded Psionics Handbook from 3.5

Here's what we got started with that allowed us to play that session but I'm looking to build it out all the way and maybe refine it some:

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Power Points

1st
+2
Manifest Psi Blade
-

2nd
+2
Power Points

3rd
+2
-

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement

5th
+3
-

6th
+3
-

7th
+3
-

8th
+3

9th
+4
-

10th
+4
-

11th
+4
-

12th
+4

13th
+5
-

14th
+5
-

15th
+5
-

16th
+5

17th
+6
-

18th
+6
-

19th
+6

20th
+6
-

Class Features:

Hit Points-
Hit Dice: 1d10 per Soul Knife level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per Soul Knife level after 1st

Proficiencies-
Armor: Light and Medium
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Psi Blade
Tools: Choose one type of artisan's tools or one musical instrument
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Wisdom
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, Athletics, History, Insight, Perception, Religion

Equipment-

(a) leather or (b) a chain shirt
(a) a priest's pack or (b) a scholar's pack

Manifest Psi Blade:
At 1st level, your rigorous mental training allows you to project a blade of made of pure psionic power as a bonus action on your turn. The blade functions exactly like a short sword. It disappears instantly if it leaves your hand. You can dismiss your Psi Blade as a bonus action.

Power Points:
Starting at 2nd level, your mental fortitude allows you to harness the power of your mind to perform even more amazing feats with your psi blade. Your capacity for executing these abilities is represented by a number of power points. Your Soul Knife level determines the number of points you have as shown in the Power Points column of the Soul Knife table.
You can spend these points to fuel various psionic abilities. You start knowing three such abilities: Shape Psi Blade, Throw Blade, and Psychic Strike. You learn more abilities as you gain levels in this class.
When you spend a power point, it is unavailable until you finish a short or long rest, at the end of which you recover all of your mental stamina. You must spend at least 30 minutes of the rest meditating to regain power points.

Shape Psi Blade-
You can spend 1 power point to shape your Psi Blade, as a bonus action, into either: two short swords or a great sword. Your Psi Blade retains this shape until it is dismissed.

Throw Blade-
You can spend 1 power point as part of an attack action to throw your Psi Blade (20/60) Regardless of the success or failure of the attack the blade disappears instantly once the attack is resolved.

Psychic Strike-
You can spend 1 power point as a bonus action to deal an extra 1d8 points of Psychic damage on your next successful attack. This increase by 1d8 at every even level.

So as you can see, it's a start but I'd like some more ideas for uses of Power Points and any input on perceived balance issues would be welcome.

smeagolthevile
2016-03-06, 12:05 AM
You should check out the Pathfinder Magus archetype Mindblade. Its a melee fighter that uses psychic spells and can create psychic weapons, it might give you some ideas.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-06, 12:22 AM
I really want to stay away from full blown spells. And it looks like the Mindblade is very similar to 3.5 and PF's Soul Knives. My main issue is where to plug new uses for PPs into the table.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-06, 05:34 AM
It starts of OK, but I can't give feedback because there's not enough yet. First level it should already get more. Now you just have a shortsword whenever you want. The shortsword should really add something.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-06, 02:18 PM
Well my DM and I both thought that the ability to be armed at a moment's notice is fairly powerful.

What would you suggest the Psi Blade do?

Yaalsh
2016-03-06, 02:41 PM
Personally I would build the 'Soul knife' as a monk archetype and the Psi blade would be a Fluff thing while actually you would be unarmed strike.

Arnakalar
2016-03-06, 02:45 PM
Look up the 'Unearthed Arcana Mystic' (I'd link you but my post count is too low ~facepalm~) - an immortal mystic with psychic weapon might meet your needs.

If you don't like that, consider making an order of the Soul Knife, or a new discipline or two. Maybe it functions a bit like pact of the blade, letting you summon a magical weapon of your choosing, which you become proficient in, though with blade meld and psychic weapon you've basically already got most of that.

Also, you could check out the thread on this forum for some cool fighter options: showthread.php?410757-Warriors-of-Renown-New-options-for-fighters

In particular the 'Soulforge' - it's a bit wonky imo but it might give you some good ideas or otherwise meet your needs.