PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e - Ribbons

Oramac
2016-03-07, 11:07 AM
So I'm trying to come up with a few Ribbons, and I'm not 100% sure how they work.

I know that they do not give any kind of bonus to combat, but can they grant new skills? Or change previous skills? What about tools? Or is it just a "here's a cool thing you can do that has no bearing on anything"?

The only two features I know of that are specifically referred to as Ribbons are Thieve's Cant and Storm Guide. Are there any other specific examples out there?

Thanks!

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-07, 11:31 AM
So I'm trying to come up with a few Ribbons, and I'm not 100% sure how they work.

I know that they do not give any kind of bonus to combat, but can they grant new skills? Or change previous skills? What about tools? Or is it just a "here's a cool thing you can do that has no bearing on anything"?

The only two features I know of that are specifically referred to as Ribbons are Thieve's Cant and Storm Guide. Are there any other specific examples out there?

Thanks!

Student of War is a good example, off the top of my head. Slow Fall and Primeval Awareness, too (though vis a vis the latter, remember that the 5e ranger is a good lesson in how not to design a class), and arguably the School Savant abilities of the Wizard Traditions (though they're pretty strong for a ribbon). Generally, any minor ability gained along with a more significant one, that doesn't significantly strengthen the character.

Oramac
2016-03-07, 11:38 AM
Snip

Generally, any minor ability gained along with a more significant one, that doesn't significantly strengthen the character.

So should the Ribbon be similar to the feature gained at the same level? Which is to say, if the feature grants "X", the Ribbon should grant "Fluff of X"?

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-07, 12:36 PM
So should the Ribbon be similar to the feature gained at the same level? Which is to say, if the feature grants "X", the Ribbon should grant "Fluff of X"?

I don't see that that's particularly necessary, though of course you will want the abilities of a class or archetype to be thematically similar anyway. Student of War, for example, is tangentially related to Combat Superiority at best, though they both reflect the Battlemaster's general concept of being a skilled, educated warrior.

Oramac
2016-03-07, 01:02 PM
I don't see that that's particularly necessary, though of course you will want the abilities of a class or archetype to be thematically similar anyway. Student of War, for example, is tangentially related to Combat Superiority at best, though they both reflect the Battlemaster's general concept of being a skilled, educated warrior.

Got it. Thanks for the tips! Now I just gotta get creative......

Flashy
2016-03-07, 04:24 PM
Timeless Body feature is another good example, as is the _____ Savant feature for the various wizard schools. I'd argue that Land's Stride verges on being a ribbon, though maybe it's just a tad too crunchy to really qualify

DiBastet
2016-03-09, 04:30 PM
That may come off as shameless promotion, but I got 100+ of them in this document here (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/172614/1-Options--100-Character-Ribbons-by-DiBastet). Might do it for you or at least give you some inspiration.

Oramac
2016-03-10, 09:59 AM
That may come off as shameless promotion, but I got 100+ of them in this document here (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/172614/1-Options--100-Character-Ribbons-by-DiBastet). Might do it for you or at least give you some inspiration.

I can't see DMsG at work, but I'll take a look!

Shameless promotion is fine by me.

JNAProductions
2016-03-14, 12:20 PM
Shameless promotion is fine by me.

Only if it's good shameless promotion.

And DiBastet? Does good work.

Arkhios
2016-03-14, 03:16 PM
Elves' Trance is a ribbon. Trance doesn't void an elf's need for 8 hours rest to gain benefits of a long rest.

In other words, even an elf must spend an equal amount of time resting like a member of any other race would to regain their x/long rest abilities.

DiBastet
2016-03-15, 05:01 AM
Only if it's good shameless promotion.

And DiBastet? Does good work.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/85733i7790997EA6DFF4B9/image-size/small?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

We live to serve. :smallredface: