PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Variant Prestige Class] Silver Pyromancer

Xuldarinar
2016-03-07, 01:30 PM
SILVER PYROMANCER
A character that chooses silver pyromancer as his prestige class must fulfill the following criteria.

Alignment: Lawful Good.

Skills: Knowledge (religion) 3 ranks.

Spells: Ability to cast 1st-level arcane spells or spell-like abilities.

Special: Channel energy class feature, worshiper of the Silver Flame.

Prestige Class Features: A character that chooses silver pyromancer as his prestige class gains the following prestige class features.

Code of Conduct: At 5th level, he takes on the paladin's code of conduct. If he ever violates this code of conduct, he loses all class abilities from this prestige class until they are atoned for.

Enhanced Casting/Channeling: At 5th level, he treats his class level in the spellcasting class he used for qualifying for this prestige class as one level higher for the purpose of casting spells or treats his class level for the purpose of channeling energy as one higher. He must make this choice upon attaining 5th level and it cannot be changed.

Sacred Flame (Su): At 9th level, he gains the ability to expend a use of channel positive energy as part of casting a spell or activating a spell-like ability with the fire descriptor, or any class or racial ability that deals fire damage. If he does, the fire damage dealt is now half fire damage and half holy damage. This cannot stack with any other option that changes the damage type dealt by spells, nor can it be applied to fire effects created by magical items or other effects. To use this ability, he must be wearing or holding a holy symbol of the Silver Flame.

Smiting Spell (Su): At 13th level, he gains the ability to simulate a paladin's smite evil class ability through spells. This expends a swift action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity to brandish a holy symbol of the Silver Flame in the same turn as he casts a spell. Every evil creature targeted by the spell takes a -4 penalty to any relevant saving throw and he gains a +8 sacred bonus to any caster level check needed to overcome the spell resistance of any evil creature targeted or overcome any effect created by an evil creature. This bypasses any immunities or resistances possessed by the evil creature(s). This can be done once per day. If this results in the death of a good aligned creature, this counts as a severe violation of their code of conduct, whether or not they knew the creature was evil.

Greater Sacred Flame (Su): At 17th level, he gains the ability to convert all fire damage he deals to holy damage when utilizing sacred flame. This choice is made when casting the spell.

I felt inspired to do this, so.. I did it. If you are unfamiliar with variant prestige classes, check out the genius guide to Variant Multiclassing Rules sometime. If you've never read it, I'm sure you can figure out what you need in order to utilize this from what is already here.

Sahleb
2016-03-09, 10:46 AM
So it replaces the relevant feats?

Anyway, it seems all right. Smiting Spell is a bit weak compared to Smite Evil (especially considering the kind of damage an 11th level sorcerer who took Paladin VMC will be doing with quickened magic missiles), but then again, it's usable a lot more of the time.

Kind of weak compared to the old Silver Pyromancer, but that'd be too powerful to introduce to pathfinder anyway, even though it has to drop at least one sorcerer level.

Xuldarinar
2016-03-09, 01:52 PM
So it replaces the relevant feats?
Yes, it does.

Kind of weak compared to the old Silver Pyromancer, but that'd be too powerful to introduce to pathfinder anyway, even though it has to drop at least one sorcerer level.

Well, it would be perhaps too powerful if drawn directly from that version of the silver pyromancer, but the silver pyromancer has been ported to pathfinder (by various individuals I am sure). I drew this from this particular version (https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/classes/prestige-classes/silver-pyromancer).

Ethereal Gears
2016-03-10, 05:25 AM
I think this looks cool. I'm not familiar with the PrC it's based on, but I love the flavor of righteous all-consuming holy fire, so this is right up my alley. As a variant multiclassing type deal, I think this looks balanced. The need for both channel energy and arcane spells seems fair, although is it intentional that the actual class features aren't restricted to arcane spells/SLAs? I'm assuming one would choose this as a cleric/oracle/"insert divine dude here" after dipping one level of bard or wizard or something? Or am I missing something? Otherwise, I'm digging it!

Cheers,
- Gears