PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Two New Domains - Dream (Night) & Travel

Arnakalar
2016-03-07, 10:56 PM
What it says on the tin! Feedback much appreciated.

Travel Domain (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz5wLFO6pke0LXVJek9QcDNpWkU)

Dream Domain (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz5wLFO6pke0cjYtV0RHWWRCNEU)

Commentary: For Travel - There are a lot of homebrew Travel domains, but none of the ones I've read have seemed right to me, so I thought I'd try my hand. Frequently Travel is limited to 'mobility' - with this domain, I've tried to incorporate other elements of worldly experience for a somewhat utility focused cleric.

Fleet of Foot received some negative feedback for complexity and granting actions off-turn. Overall I like the function & immediacy of the ability so I'm not sure how to improve it.

I'm not really a fan of Journey of a Thousand Steps - increased movement speed is canonical for past travel domains and I don't think I've seen a homebrew without it, but... it just isn't that interesting, and moreover, between Longstrider and the 5e action economy being gentler with move actions I'm not sure it's worth it.

Horizon Walker is clearly a straight rip of Favored Terrain/Natural Explorer, save that you pick your FT each day. I'd rather come up with a more unique feature, possibly based off of the old Horizon Walker, the Druid of the Land spells, or by altering the overland effects of Natural Explorer (tracking and stealth don't exactly feel like a cleric of Fharlangh).

For Dream - This started out as an edit of a homebrew PF domain, but I thought combining it with 'Night' made for a richer, more interesting domain - there are a significant number of darkness domains, but I wanted to portray something different. Dream/Night is intended to invoke a subtle, mysterious nocturnal being - ideal for Fey gods, moon gods, etc - vs. the canonical darkness domain's presumed mirror of the Light domain. To that end I've tried to build a flexible, very magical controller type.

I think the features need a good amount of balancing - I like Waking Dreams - I received feedback that it looked OP, however it is weaker than the Oathbreaker paladin channel. I'm considering making it more powerful but single target, or require concentration (and target more targets?)? Both Gloom Casting and Dream Seed are still rough at this point.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-08, 02:03 AM
The pages don't load so I can't give feedback

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-08, 09:27 AM
As the resident fey expert 'round these parts, I have to say that I love the idea of a dream domain. I wish I'd had the idea myself when I was doing my other fey subclasses.

Can't see anything wrong with your implementation. I was hoping for something more... whimsical? But that's a hard thing to write into a subclass.

Arnakalar
2016-03-08, 01:31 PM
The pages don't load so I can't give feedback

Links are updated in the original post (sorry)

As the resident fey expert 'round these parts, I have to say that I love the idea of a dream domain. I wish I'd had the idea myself when I was doing my other fey subclasses.

Can't see anything wrong with your implementation. I was hoping for something more... whimsical? But that's a hard thing to write into a subclass.

Thanks! I'll have to look at those Fey classes. My worries for dream domain are really balance, whether Gloom Casting is appropriate, interesting, and doesn't step too much on Sorc.'s metamagic, and if Dream Seed is a good/fun ability. For that last, I'm wondering if it should maybe be any single target ench/illusion, a different spell, or a different, non-spell based effect.

On Whimsy... I agree, that would be good, but I'm not sure how you'd capture it - it seems like either RP or 'erratic/chaotic' abilities, which isn't exactly what you'd want.

I would love to capture some of the feel of Old WoD Changeling and specifically the idea of Chimerical 'reality' - *I loved* the Glamour/banality mechanics of that game, and it really captured the feeling of a bunch of superpowered children playing magical pretend. The 3.5 shadow abilities captured a similar 'will save or it's real effect' - I wonder if you could build a class/class option somewhat around that...

Oramac
2016-03-08, 01:51 PM
whether Gloom Casting is appropriate, interesting, and doesn't step too much on Sorc.'s metamagic, and if Dream Seed is a good/fun ability.

Gloom Casting seems ok to me, mainly because it's attached to the Channel Divinity, which is at most twice per short rest.

Dream Seed sounds fun, though I admit I've not played enough Tier 4 adventures to really comment on it effectively.

As a side question: where did you find the blank PDF to put your Domains on?

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-09, 10:50 AM
I think these are pretty cool, fluff seems good, balance is OK, I think maybe little bit too strong (or sometimes situational).

RavenJovan
2016-03-12, 04:58 PM
Wonderful and useful, thank you for your hard work

Arnakalar
2016-03-14, 09:20 PM
Coming back to this way later >.>

Gloom Casting seems ok to me, mainly because it's attached to the Channel Divinity, which is at most twice per short rest.

Dream Seed sounds fun, though I admit I've not played enough Tier 4 adventures to really comment on it effectively.

As a side question: where did you find the blank PDF to put your Domains on?

Thanks for the feedback - it's good to hear Gloom-casting seems alright. I agree on the Tier 4 stuff - mostly I just consider it good to be thematic, powerful, cool and something to look forward to - I don't think the actual effect is that important compared to how the earlier abilities and spells shape the subclass. E.g. long walk is actually probably pretty week - it's sometimes better than a teleport 1/day, but really it's mostly there to be cool.

I can't remember exactly - I think if you look at a pdf of the rulebook, or possibly homebrewery you can 'download background image' - or maybe print background image from chrome.

I think these are pretty cool, fluff seems good, balance is OK, I think maybe little bit too strong (or sometimes situational).

Thanks for taking a look at it, even though it didn't work the first time! Do you mean situationally too powerful, or too powerful but also sometimes too situational?

Wonderful and useful, thank you for your hard work

Thanks so much!

I'm still unsatisfied with many of the Travel domain powers. Thinking Journey should give something more like lands stride. Channel Divinity should possibly allow a free dash at the start of character's turn (no action at all) instead of as rxn... Not sure. I'm thinking Horizon Walker should be 2-3 of the more 'Overland Travel' focused favored terrain bonuses, and possibly an actual 'horizon walker' type buff, where you pick one type of terrain and get a boon.