PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Inspire Me

JNAProductions
2016-03-08, 08:54 PM
I want to homebrew. But I don't know what.

So, inspire me!

RazDelacroix
2016-03-08, 10:20 PM
Alrighty then. *cracks knuckles* It has long been in my attentions that the Bards lack a clown college. Fix that. For starters, perhaps some inspirations from the Wild Sorcerer's wild surges for some inspiration?

JNAProductions
2016-03-08, 10:24 PM
Alrighty then. *cracks knuckles* It has long been in my attentions that the Bards lack a clown college. Fix that. For starters, perhaps some inspirations from the Wild Sorcerer's wild surges for some inspiration?

Not touching that with a 10' pole. :P

As a side note, I'll just be taking ideas that strike my fancy. This isn't Request a Homebrew (though if you REALLY want something done, I might accommodate you).

GAAD
2016-03-08, 10:39 PM
*Gains 2 Armor
*Restores 2 Health
*Deals 1 Damage
*Deals 2 Damage to the enemy Hero
*Takes 2 Damage and Draws a Card
*Equips a 1/2 Dagger
*Summons a random Totem
*Summons a 1/1 Silver Hand Recruit
*Gains 1 Armor and 1 Attack this turn

One of those should trigger the Inspire, I'm not sure what class you are. :smalltongue:

CantigThimble
2016-03-08, 10:40 PM
Someone who has no spell slots by default but knows spells.

Someone who prepares one (or several) complete spell lists rather than preparing individual spells. For example choosing either the trickery domain or war domain list and preparing every spell on whichever you chose.

JNAProductions
2016-03-08, 10:41 PM

Someone who prepares one (or several) complete spell lists rather than preparing individual spells. For example choosing either the trickery domain or war domain list and preparing ever spell on whichever you chose.

To the first! Um... What? That would be useless, unless you multiclassed. So it'd either be too weak (appropriate for multiclassing, but can't stand on its own) or too strong (appropriate on its own, too strong when multiclassing).

To the second... Clerics already get that. They just get extra spells.

CantigThimble
2016-03-08, 10:46 PM
To the first! Um... What? That would be useless, unless you multiclassed. So it'd either be too weak (appropriate for multiclassing, but can't stand on its own) or too strong (appropriate on its own, too strong when multiclassing).

To the second... Clerics already get that. They just get extra spells.

Then come up with a way to make it work! I'm not saying their class would never under any circumstances be able to cast spells, just that when they wake up in the morning and the cleric, wizard and warlock can cast their full complement of spells they can't cast anything.

I think I'm explaining this poorly. With that kind of system a cleric could one day prepare the Life and War domains and the next day prepare the Knowledge and Tempest domains. Or something to that effect.

GorinichSerpant
2016-03-08, 11:40 PM
A different idea is a non-caster class that is focused around shapeshifting. For when you want to transform but don't want to be a mage as well.

Final Hyena
2016-03-08, 11:45 PM
One thing I wanted to try but not entirely sure where to start and have other things to do first is a 'hulk' class. I think something that gets stronger the more it gets hurt is a fun idea, but making it so it doesn't get bogged down in maths every turn is tricky.

Another idea is a sort of conjurer, someone who could create infinite creatures, but you cap how many and how strong each is.

Another would be creating a robot class, the idea behind the robot is that he can use actions to change his abilities (rotate his body parts). He has a lot of situational abilities, but they're very strong when needed.

Edit;
One idea I just had is a character who shifts in side someone else's body, you can multiclass in two ways, to be better at buffing or better at taking control. I need more time to make these things.

neriractor
2016-03-09, 12:24 AM
*Gains 2 Armor
*Restores 2 Health
*Deals 1 Damage
*Deals 2 Damage to the enemy Hero
*Takes 2 Damage and Draws a Card
*Equips a 1/2 Dagger
*Summons a random Totem
*Summons a 1/1 Silver Hand Recruit
*Gains 1 Armor and 1 Attack this turn

One of those should trigger the Inspire, I'm not sure what class you are. :smalltongue:

lol, thatīs exactly what I was thinking when entering this thread :smallbiggrin:

speaking of blizzard, I have always wanted a playable 3.5 spellbreaker class/prestige class, think you could do that JNA? :smallsmile:

Then come up with a way to make it work! I'm not saying their class would never under any circumstances be able to cast spells, just that when they wake up in the morning and the cleric, wizard and warlock can cast their full complement of spells they can't cast anything.

that could be built with some sort of mechanic to gain temporal spell slots, theoreticaly you can cast infinite spells but the action you need to take will limit this seriously, seems like a really cool idea for an alternate spell system.

you could also make it so that every hour the "book-mage" gets a very limited amount of spell slots for a nice custom list (wich would make them useless at the beging of the day), if we made the time it took to regain and the amount of spells random we could play as a sort of random/chaos mage (even better if the spells you can cast are also random :smalltongue:).

DracoKnight
2016-03-09, 01:09 AM
A Dragon Rider class! :smallbiggrin:

It's been my pet project forever, but I am interested to see your take on it :smallbiggrin:

Final Hyena
2016-03-09, 01:14 AM

Someone who prepares one (or several) complete spell lists rather than preparing individual spells. For example choosing either the trickery domain or war domain list and preparing every spell on whichever you chose.

Perhaps it would be a character who knows any spell regardless of class appropriate for his level and he can grant the knowledge of any of those spells to others. I think for the class to make sense it would best be a religious class to explain why he gives but cannot actually cast. The only problem with that is that the main basis of the class is entirely dependant on others which is mechanically bad, and for many less enjoyable, so he should also have some other talents to make him more exciting and self sufficient. One possibility is an ability to take spell slots from others, friend or foe. You could expand on this by giving him the power to remove a spell from a creatures spell list.

I understand the idea of picking from several themed spell lists, I seem to remember something along the lines of Shaman back in PF except it was only for bonus spells not your entire spell list, this one would be easy to make, assuming you have a thorough knowledge of the spell lists.

Flashy
2016-03-09, 01:58 AM
Charity Domain
Druid circle themed on the deep ocean
Druid circle themed on mildew and decay
Paladin Oath of Destiny
Warlock beast patron

Final Hyena
2016-03-09, 02:29 AM
Warlock beast patron

I have access to one that's pretty much that, it's rather interesting, PM if you want a link. ^_^

Eldritch Memes
2016-03-09, 08:42 AM
I've been wracking my brain on how to convert the alienist prestige class from 3.5 (can't remember the splatbook though, complete Mage maybe? Was that a splat? ) for months now, perhaps you would have more success in that venue?

RazDelacroix
2016-03-09, 08:56 AM
Alright, no clown college for bards which means no jesters as well. Okay, new angle. There's this story I never liked as a kid called 'Jack & The Beanstalk'. Involves a ton of theft and house invasion.

Perhaps not a class, not a monster, but homebrew a magical kingdom of cloud-dwelling land of giants? Perhaps even work in that accursed murdering thief Jack into it as part of the giant's worries?

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-03-09, 08:17 PM
Prestige Class: Ranger, focusing on Nature Survival and related abilities.
Quirks: Cannot add an animal companion or add combat dice.

Because let's face it, current Ranger sucks and no one has been able to fix it with 20 levels.

Thank you! Fingers crossed!

RavenJovan
2016-03-09, 08:44 PM
Take the spells, races, feats, and prestige classes from D&D 3.5 Frostburn and translate them into 5e useable material.

Should prove to be relatively simple but time consuming for you.

RavenJovan
2016-03-09, 10:01 PM
Druid shapechange that allows transformation into creatures other than beasts, like fey, dragons, etc.

khadgar567
2016-03-10, 04:42 AM
Might well as put this here
Druid circle of farming aka farmer druid

RavenJovan
2016-03-10, 03:24 PM
two different types of dragons mate so what kinda dragon will be born of the eggs? eggs of either parent or a mix between the two? How about that?

ThePurple
2016-03-10, 03:47 PM
two different types of dragons mate so what kinda dragon will be born of the eggs? eggs of either parent or a mix between the two? How about that?

Back in ye olden dayes of Dragon Magazine (I think it was for late 2nd ed or early 3rd), I recall an article that was built around the idea of chromatic dragons following the chromatic wheel (ROYGBIV) with their respective breath weapons/elemental affinities interacting when interbreeding to determine what the half-breed was.

In this sense, the 3 main chromatic dragons were red (fire), blue (lightning), and yellow (salt; yes, salt, NaCl; it's not a typo; the damage would basically be done through slashing and desiccation, however you wish to interpret that mechanically). When a red and a yellow dragon interbreed, the fire of the red dragon would burn off the chlorine from the salt of the yellow dragon and produce an orange dragon with a breath weapon comprised of a pellet of pure sodium (which basically explodes, dealing sonic/thunder/sound/etc. damage). When a yellow and a blue interbreed, the electricity of the green dragon would strip away the sodium from the salt of the yellow dragon and produce a dragon with a breath weapon of pure chlorine (e.g. poison damage). When a red and a blue interbreed, the lightning and fire combine to produce a purple dragon that has a breath weapon of pure destructive force (once again, up to interpretation as to what damage type to see that as mechanically).

Whenever 2 dragons of incompatible nature (like a red with a green) breed, the resulting eggs are infertile. Whenever 2 dragons that are chromatically adjacent (like a red with a purple or a red with an orange), the resulting eggs are evenly split between the color of the parents.

I don't recall white and black dragons interacting with the rest of the chromatic wheel dragons, though you could probably come up with something. Possibilities include something as simple as treating whites and blacks as incompatible with wheel dragons or having the offspring of a white/black with a chromatic wheel dragon changing their color slightly and gaining either an additional damage type (so a white and a green is a light green that breathes freezing cold chlorine that deals poison and cold damage) or the ability to choose between the breath weapons of its parents (so the offspring of a white and a red dragon is pink and would be able to choose to breathe fire or cold).

RakiReborn
2016-03-10, 03:57 PM
Do you know the anime 'Fairy Tail'? In that anime, there is a magic called 'beast form'. It is essentially stealing a beast's power when you defeat it and using that yourself. I have been toying around with a Warlock patron - Abberation - that implements capturing an ability from a creature, allowing you to use it yourself as an ability (eg. a tiger's claws or a dragons breath attack) for a minute. I am curious how your take on that would be. I will post my homebrew of it in the near future, when i am contempt with it :)

RavenJovan
2016-03-10, 04:18 PM
Do you know the anime 'Fairy Tail'? In that anime, there is a magic called 'beast form'. It is essentially stealing a beast's power when you defeat it and using that yourself. I have been toying around with a Warlock patron - Abberation - that implements capturing an ability from a creature, allowing you to use it yourself as an ability (eg. a tiger's claws or a dragons breath attack) for a minute. I am curious how your take on that would be. I will post my homebrew of it in the near future, when i am contempt with it :)

Don't you mean content?

RavenJovan
2016-03-10, 04:19 PM
Back in ye olden dayes of Dragon Magazine (I think it was for late 2nd ed or early 3rd), I recall an article that was built around the idea of chromatic dragons following the chromatic wheel (ROYGBIV) with their respective breath weapons/elemental affinities interacting when interbreeding to determine what the half-breed was.

In this sense, the 3 main chromatic dragons were red (fire), blue (lightning), and yellow (salt; yes, salt, NaCl; it's not a typo; the damage would basically be done through slashing and desiccation, however you wish to interpret that mechanically). When a red and a yellow dragon interbreed, the fire of the red dragon would burn off the chlorine from the salt of the yellow dragon and produce an orange dragon with a breath weapon comprised of a pellet of pure sodium (which basically explodes, dealing sonic/thunder/sound/etc. damage). When a yellow and a blue interbreed, the electricity of the green dragon would strip away the sodium from the salt of the yellow dragon and produce a dragon with a breath weapon of pure chlorine (e.g. poison damage). When a red and a blue interbreed, the lightning and fire combine to produce a purple dragon that has a breath weapon of pure destructive force (once again, up to interpretation as to what damage type to see that as mechanically).

Whenever 2 dragons of incompatible nature (like a red with a green) breed, the resulting eggs are infertile. Whenever 2 dragons that are chromatically adjacent (like a red with a purple or a red with an orange), the resulting eggs are evenly split between the color of the parents.

I don't recall white and black dragons interacting with the rest of the chromatic wheel dragons, though you could probably come up with something. Possibilities include something as simple as treating whites and blacks as incompatible with wheel dragons or having the offspring of a white/black with a chromatic wheel dragon changing their color slightly and gaining either an additional damage type (so a white and a green is a light green that breathes freezing cold chlorine that deals poison and cold damage) or the ability to choose between the breath weapons of its parents (so the offspring of a white and a red dragon is pink and would be able to choose to breathe fire or cold).

I'll take this all into very large consideration, thank you.:smallsmile:

GanonBoar
2016-03-10, 05:53 PM
We need more Prismatic spells! There aren't enough rainbows!

RavenJovan
2016-03-10, 05:56 PM
We need more Prismatic spells! There aren't enough rainbows!

I <3 rainbows :haley:

Almir
2016-03-10, 06:04 PM
A monk quartercaster of some sort? maybe a Barbarian quartercaster??? :eek: