PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu Ghosts

Kharthus0716
2016-03-09, 09:31 AM
So I am setting up a game of Call of Cthulhu 6th edition in the next few weeks, and I was wondering, what stats should I give a fairly powerful ghost that has taken over a house. It does not have examples in the book that I have seen. So I was hoping for a few suggestions from here.

Thanks in advance

Douche
2016-03-09, 10:50 AM
This title is an awful lot like "Call of Duty: Ghosts" which makes me imagine Michael Bay-ing your way through eldritch horrors to a dubstep montage.

Ashtagon
2016-03-09, 12:44 PM
Call of cthulhu? Eats 1d4investigators per round. Same no matter what monster for that game.

Comet
2016-03-10, 01:35 AM
To be a bit more helpful:

The basic gist of ghosts is given on page 205. The bare bones you need are its INT and its POW, the latter of which you will use against the investigators using the resistance table. Sanity loss is given as anywhere between 1 and 1d8, of which I would definitely use the latter if only to have as many nervous wrecks in the party as possible. Also, consider giving the ghost some sorcerous spells if you want it to have more tricks up its sleeve than just spooking investigators and draining their POW.

I could also swear that the Haunting, the first ready-made scenario, in the book had a ghost involved. Actually, that's not the whole truth but mr. Corbitt does have enough control over the entire house to give you some neat ideas about how to run a poltergeist in any scenario.

All in all, giving it the ability to manipulate the physical reality of the house, even if it's just in small ways, should give it enough presence to fill out the entire scenario without risking either it or the investigators fading away at the very beginning. Locking doors, pools of blood, ominous writing, weird noises, you get the idea. Then, as the investigators are getting closer to whatever truth lies at the centre of this haunted house, you can have the ghost manifest itself with as much sanity drain as you'd like and bash itself against the investigators until either of them run out of POW or the players figure out some clever spell or other knack to banish it.

Kami2awa
2016-03-10, 12:50 PM
There is an excellent Delta Green CoC scenario called "Music From a Darkened Room", which might give you some ideas. In particular, the house affects PCs with different POW characteristics differently, changing what hallucinations(?) and ghosts they see.

Segev
2016-03-11, 09:36 PM
This title is an awful lot like "Call of Duty: Ghosts" which makes me imagine Michael Bay-ing your way through eldritch horrors to a dubstep montage.

And your post, in turn, I initially read as "Micheal Westoning your way through eldrich horrors," leading to an entirely different mental image.

Coidzor
2016-03-12, 09:48 PM
And your post, in turn, I initially read as "Micheal Westoning your way through eldrich horrors," leading to an entirely different mental image.

What would that even entail?

Ionbound
2016-03-12, 10:22 PM
I don't know, but I suspect it involves lot of explosives and shotguns with specialize ammo. And probably a sniper on overwatch, while we're at it.

Segev
2016-03-13, 12:47 PM
It probably involves waltzing in and claiming to be the possessed avatar of one of the Elder Being's very own kin (if not the Elder Being itself), convincing the cultists that Yog Sothoth is Patrick Stewart, and getting them all to declare open war on Scientology before stepping back and watching them blow themselves up.