PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Conjure Thunderbird (custom ability) - what level would this be as a spell?

Citan
2016-03-10, 05:07 AM
Hi all!

I'd like an opinion on this ability I designed for one archetype of my homebrew class (a sort of half-caster so limited spellcasting and access to one-two "level 6" spells as capstone).

It's a "spell-like" ability that takes strong inspiration from the PHB conjure spells. I'm not sure however how powerful is this spell. What level would you rate it?

NOTE: Surges are a long-rest resource used to fuel the most powerful class abilities. You start with ~2 and end with ~8 at lvl 20 so it's a scarce resource.
NOTE: Flare is a class ability which damage has a "class level" component. So depending on the level and choice of class features, at lvl 20 it ranges from 30 to 60.
For most builds it would be around 20 at class level 10 and 45 at level 20, which is why I put this number for the sake of this thread.

-----------------
Conjure Thunderbird
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: S,V
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 mn.
You create a friendly creature, similar to a dragon in shape but entirely made of lightning and thunder, that spring into existence in unoccupied space you can see within range.

This creature has the statistics and abilities as a Blue Dragon Wyrmling, except for its hitpoints which are equal to -45- (see note above) and its AC which is equal to your class level. It is friendly to you and your companions for the duration.

Roll initiative for this creature, which has its own turns. It obeys any verbal commands that you issue to it (no action required by you). If you don’t issue any commands, it defends itself from hostile creatures but otherwise takes no actions.

During your turn, you can also use an action to perceive the environment through the senses of the creature. You can also cast a spell as if you were in the place of the creature, at the cost of one extra Surge per cast.

This ability requires you to concentrate on it from the moment you cast it and up to a maximum duration of 10 minutes. The creature disappears if its hit points drop to zero, if your concentration is broken or if you dismiss it with a bonus action.
-----------------

The Blue Dragon Wyrmling is normally a CR3 creature immune to lightning, with Bite and Lighting Breath abilites, and the following features:
Saving Throws Dex +2, Con +4, Wis +2, Cha +4
Skills Perception +4, Stealth +2
Senses blindsight 10ft., darkvlsion 60 ft., passive Perception 14

The reasoning behind this choice of features was the following:
- I wanted a conjuration that is not OP for when you get it (~lvl 14) but which stays relevant at higher levels (you learn very few abilities after all).
- Since it would be a bit frail at the start, I wanted to give it the same usefulness as you would with a familiar (scouting).
- Because I loved Trickery domain ability, I wanted to mimick it, while adding a steep cost to make it a meaningful choice and avoid plain OP.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. :)

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-10, 09:09 AM
Not enough puppets.

Citan
2016-03-10, 11:05 AM
Not enough puppets.
Err, sorry, what?
Didn't get your point at all. :)

Unless you were referring to the fact that only one creature is "conjured"?
Considering that Conjure Minor Elemental (lvl4) was 1 CR2 creature, and that you can use the "Thunderbird" as a familiar++, I thought this was fair, so I guess it's not.

You're implying that it's not enough because it we compare it to Conjure Elemental (lvl5), it's lackluster because Conjure Elemental is 1 CR 5 elemental ?

Did I guess right?

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-12, 08:24 AM
Nope, I'm referring to the Thunderbirds kid's TV series. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbirds_(TV_series)). It had puppets.