PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing the underrated. Part 1. The Net

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-11, 11:47 AM
From today I am going to post once or twice a week how you can make a certain player option, feat, class feature, subclass or race fairly strong. An option which is underrated.

For now, I am going to use the net. It is a nice weapon and the net isn't used enough, just because it doesn't add to DPR. I'm trying to find some ways to use the net in a pretty strong way.

Let's take a look at the net. It is a ranged weapon with a small range. It doesn't deal damage. The only thing it can do is trying to restrain an enemy if that enemy isn't huge+ or formless. You can only attack once with a net if you attack with an action, bonus action or reaction.

Especially the last one is annoying. You need either have to make one strong attack, or attack with a bonus action or reaction.

Classes who can just make one (stronger) attack are the rogue, and in a lesser way the cleric. You can't use sneak attack with a net according to most DMs, so the rogue is pretty bad for a net user. The cleric also doens't add much here because it just isn't enough extra damage. You can deal 2d8 extra damage to the net attack and that's all what the cleric adds.

To attack with a reaction or bonus action you can do more. Haste works, but you can run out of hastes, especially mid and low level, so you need another way than a bladesinger haste spam. What comes to mind is two weapon fighting, maybe with the feat, but sadly the net is a ranged weapon.

Using your reaction to attack would be simple, because you could still use your bonus action then. Sadly the only good way to make a reaction attack with a ranged weapon is Giant Killer, the level 3 Hunter feature. This is limited and it works only on large or larger creatures, and a net works on large and smaller foes, so it is all a bit limited.

Looking at the bonus action, here are some more options. The berserker would be strong but can only attack with a melee weapon. Another way to attack with your bonus action is the war cleric feature. The war cleric becomes strong, because you can throw one net as bonus action and one as action, adding 2d8 damage on one of your net attacks. Your spells can help (magic weapon the net etc.) so war cleric isn't a bad option. Attacking with your bonus action is also possible with war magic. The EK war magic is nice for this. Using the level 7 feature is really nice because you can use conjure bonfire. A better option than the war cleric, especially with action surge. Furtherly, the EK also has spells for this. Action: conjure bonfire and bonus action net. You will deal damage every turn, restrain an enemy. Looks like this is the first real net combo you get. The level 18 feature doen't really make it better, because you will use your war magic for create bonfire if you are smart. Although you can then haste/war magic to make two attacks with the net that turn, then using a level 4 cloud of daggers and another two nets the next after that, but that's a bit nova.

Another class with war magic is the bard. As the EK, you can use magic weapon, conjure bonfire and cloud of daggers. Furtherly, the bard gives some nice options as haste and good spells to steal. The EK can already do most stuff the bard can, and the EK will deal more damage earlier, but the bard has some variant options and way more slots. The sorcerer will also be a nice net user when getting proficiency with the net. Using an action for the net and a bonus action create bonfire from level 3 (4 if you take one level fighter first or take the weapon user feat). The sorcerer can get this earlier than the EK, but sorcerers are just bad characters for melee without the two paladin dip in most cases, and the paladin dip for smite won't help here.

Looking at all options, the Eldritch knight sounds as the most interesting options because it works pretty early. The EK can summon nets back making this really the best option. The net eldritch knight beats the bard and war cleric with a nice combo and action surge, the sorcerer starts strong but doesn't becomes better in net using, even with spells not better than the bard or EK.

The EK will let you throw one or more nets a turn, if you throw it on an enemy with bad ranged attacks this enemy won't be able to do much and will be getting damage every turn. Every net you throw on the enemy gets advantage from the restrain it has after that. Furtherly, this build could use either 3 levels assassin and alert (getting advantage at the beginning so you can hit with the first net, and if it misses still get advantage on the second) or as a good option I would suggest a two level war cleric dip. Giving you the last EK war magic but +10 on an early net attack (and if it hits advantage on the second) and command, with some nice uses, especially to let them accept the nets or something. Use your imagination.

Conclusion: a Net Eldritch Knight can easily take the strongest enemy out. In a party with 4 players you will in most encounters do more than any teammate you have. Because of your actions, one enemy can barely do anything and it just takes you one turn if you go nova. Maybe two if you don't use haste OR action surge. While the enemies burns from your bonfire you can summon the nets back or draw new nets and choose a new enemy.

Another way to use the net is for a sniper. Again, the EK works best but this is also for something as war clerics. A level 2 war cleric can already use such a tactic. On the first round of combat throwing a net on an enemy with +10 from your channel divinity. When this attack hits you throw another net with your bonus action with advantage. Then you will back up and keep sniping the enemy. The net works perfect for all characters (cleric just as example) with a strong ranged attack.

Overall I think the net, a weapon that is barely used, is a good option for certain characters. It helps you to every 1 or 2 turn disable an enemy for three rounds or longer if you play it smart. You will probably be one of the most useful characters in combat. And for the bard, sorcerer and war cleric. Who were all good options after the fighter, you will still have all the wonderful spells they get and no martial can say you are useless in fights.

Note: for the net you need the crossbow expert feat to not use it at disadvantage, for ranged characters this already works nicely, and an EK gets enough feats, so I don't think it is that bad for most characters to spend this extra feat.

If there is any option you want me to try to optimize (bladelock, actor, or even something as small as lunging attack) then that can help. If I see a comment/option several times I will use that in part 2, which I will probably post Wednesday

Comments or suggestions can always help, I appreciate it and I'll use it! Stories about using the net or about experiences with the net are also useful and I would be interested in those

coredump
2016-03-11, 12:00 PM
I am not sure how you skipped over the 'always at disadvantage' issue. Without a feat, every use of a net is done at disadvantage. Crossbow Expert lets you use it at 5' without disadv, and Sharpshooter lets you use it at 10-15' without disadv.

While I would not advise taking a feat just to use a net, if you have a PC with one of those feats, I would take another look at using nets. (My ranger/rogue archer just picked up some nets.) They can be pretty handy.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-11, 12:12 PM
I am not sure how you skipped over the 'always at disadvantage' issue. Without a feat, every use of a net is done at disadvantage. Crossbow Expert lets you use it at 5' without disadv, and Sharpshooter lets you use it at 10-15' without disadv.

While I would not advise taking a feat just to use a net, if you have a PC with one of those feats, I would take another look at using nets. (My ranger/rogue archer just picked up some nets.) They can be pretty handy.

Woops, you are totally right, I knew about this but I just forgot to mention it. I will add it, and an EK gets enough features anyway :D
Thanks for the help, and for ranged characters it is a strong feat anyway so you can use the net and crossbow expert combination at once.

Lines
2016-03-11, 12:19 PM
Would animating skeletons and giving a dozen of them several nets work, do you think? And incidentally if several netted a foe, would they need to take multiple actions or make multiple attacks to escape?

MaxWilson
2016-03-11, 12:25 PM
Nets are ranged weapons, so you can in fact sneak attack with them, if you can avoid having disadvantage e.g. via Sharpshooter.

But the most efficient way to use a net is to give it to a lower-level PC or an undead minion like a skeleton. It's like Helping the whole party on their attacks for a whole round or more. Have another minion Help the first one to cancel disadvantage.

Incidentally, Conjure Animals (constrictor snake) gives you animals with a built-in restraining attack, just like a net. Great spell.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-11, 12:32 PM
Would animating skeletons and giving a dozen of them several nets work, do you think? And incidentally if several netted a foe, would they need to take multiple actions or make multiple attacks to escape?
It would work, but I think they aren't considered proficient for most DMs

Nets are ranged weapons, so you can in fact sneak attack with them, if you can avoid having disadvantage e.g. via Sharpshooter.

But the most efficient way to use a net is to give it to a lower-level PC or an undead minion like a skeleton. It's like Helping the whole party on their attacks for a whole round or more. Have another minion Help the first one to cancel disadvantage.

Incidentally, Conjure Animals (constrictor snake) gives you animals with a built-in restraining attack, just like a net. Great spell.
It is a great spell, I also get a giant frog as animal companion for restraining. It works best indeed for minions, but not all parties have them and it also works for other characters. Thanks for the help, totally forgot it works with sneak attack, making the rogue (especially assassin and arcane trickster) great.

MaxWilson
2016-03-11, 12:50 PM
It would work, but I think they aren't considered proficient for most DMs

In my (anecdotal, limited) experience, most DMs will let skeletons be proficient in any martial weapons, since they're already proficient in one (shortsword). But even if your DM rules they aren't proficient, it may be worth considering giving your skeletons nets anyway. Proficiency would boost you from +2 to hit to +4, but +2 is still pretty decent against the typical 5E monster AC.

It might not be your go-to tactic, but if you're fighting a bunch of Death Slaads or something, it could be worth passing out nets.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-11, 12:53 PM
In my (anecdotal, limited) experience, most DMs will let skeletons be proficient in any martial weapons, since they're already proficient in one (shortsword). But even if your DM rules they aren't proficient, it may be worth considering giving your skeletons nets anyway. Proficiency would boost you from +2 to hit to +4, but +2 is still pretty decent against the typical 5E monster AC.

It might not be your go-to tactic, but if you're fighting a bunch of Death Slaads or something, it could be worth passing out nets.

I'd say in rogue weapons for skeletons.

Yeah, for minions, nets are great. For players, they can be great

I already got many help and feedback in a short time. Thanks for that :D

Dimolyth
2016-03-11, 12:55 PM
In the case of bard, sorcerer, or other caster - there is always an option to get proficiency with net: Gladiator Background (refluffed entertainer). So, no multiclassing, wasting ASI or else.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-11, 12:57 PM
In the case of bard, sorcerer, or other caster - there is always an option to get proficiency with net: Gladiator Background (refluffed entertainer). So, no multiclassing, wasting ASI or else.

But the entertainer doesn't give prof. with the net.

And are there any suggestions for the next one ?

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 01:54 PM
But the entertainer doesn't give prof. with the net.

And are there any suggestions for the next one ?

The Gladiator variant (page 131 of PHB) substitutes the instrument proficiency with "an inexpensive but unusual weapon, such as a trident or net."

DeAnno
2016-03-11, 02:17 PM
Nets are pretty good at low levels if you have the Close Quarters Shooter Fighter feature from a UA. I use them on my level 3 Fight-Lock, and even Hex to disadvantage the strength check to get out.

MaxWilson
2016-03-11, 02:55 PM
The Gladiator variant (page 131 of PHB) substitutes the instrument proficiency with "an inexpensive but unusual weapon, such as a trident or net."

Wow! Great find!

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-11, 03:36 PM
The Gladiator variant (page 131 of PHB) substitutes the instrument proficiency with "an inexpensive but unusual weapon, such as a trident or net." That can work, when said "refluffed" I thought really refluffed so not a variant thing, but nice

Nets are pretty good at low levels if you have the Close Quarters Shooter Fighter feature from a UA. I use them on my level 3 Fight-Lock, and even Hex to disadvantage the strength check to get out.
Smart combination, works well

Wow! Great find!
Yeah, I saw that variant part and read it all several times but didn't even see it

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-11, 03:38 PM
I got a PM with a question if I could do Armor Of Agaathys. It isn't underrated of course so I don't think it's something to use in my next one but it is a pretty cool option. What do you think ? And again, are there more suggestions?

coredump
2016-03-11, 06:50 PM
Woops, you are totally right, I knew about this but I just forgot to mention it. I will add it, and an EK gets enough features anyway :D
Thanks for the help, and for ranged characters it is a strong feat anyway so you can use the net and crossbow expert combination at once.

Sorry for my post being kind of cranky.... my excuse is I was tired. But reading it now it sounds a bit rude.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-12, 02:13 AM
Sorry for my post being kind of cranky.... my excuse is I was tired. But reading it now it sounds a bit rude.

I didn't think it was rude, maybe it was, but with my limited English I dudn't see it. My English is always impolite, not because I try to be rude but because I'm too busy with solving my grammar mistakes. That's also why I use :D that often

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-12, 03:31 PM
Since I didn't get many suggestions, and because AoA is for later when I did the more underrated ones. I will go for the jump spell. And not just for jumping far :smallbiggrin:

Again, I'll try to let it help the party and if possible do damage.

Skylivedk
2016-03-13, 07:36 AM
I think the most important part of the net has been forgotten.

Killing flying creatures!

One of my favourite moments as a player was the killing of a wyvern with a net (and some arrows I had put into its body as it was flying towards the group).

Winged flying creatures (large or smaller) face rapidly approaching spheres of dirt whenever they have their cute little wings present-wrapped.

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 12:38 PM
Actually, I was thinking about taking advantage of the net to give a rogue a sneak attack from the advantage. The trouble comes from:

nets are ranged weapons, and thus cannot be dual-wielded by raw
You must, then, draw both the net and your weapon of choice with the same hand
You must have multiattack to attack with both in the same turn
You only get one object interaction

There is, thankfully, an easy way around it - the Thieve's Fast Hands ability. It lets you use your cunning action as an object interaction, which includes drawing your weapon. Nice! Pick up multiattack from your martial class of choice (I'd recommend champion fighter, since increasing crit range and having advantage means you're significantly more likely to get that good o'l sneak attack crit), and then you can

Use your free object interaction to draw the net
Use the first attack in your multiattack to throw the net
Use your cunning action to draw your rapier
Use your second attack to attack with advantage and get your one-person sneak attack

Though, now that I look at it, it does seem like you could normally get your sneak attack with the net itself. Nothing in sneak attack says that the weapon must do damage. You do have to not have disadvantage, however. And the target would have to be near an ally to get it, or you'd have to be a melee-ranged swashbuckler.

If you have the dual-wielder feat, you can draw two rapiers instead of one, but you have already used your bonus action to draw so you can't use your off-hand attack anyway. Still, +1 ac is there.

I thought about all of this while trying to figure out how to make a rogue get their sneak attacks mid-combat on their own.

soldersbushwack
2016-03-13, 01:01 PM
Actually, I was thinking about taking advantage of the net to give a rogue a sneak attack from the advantage. The trouble comes from:

You must, then, draw both the net and your weapon of choice with the same hand
You must have multiattack to attack with both in the same turn
You only get one object interaction

There is, thankfully, an easy way around it - the Thieve's Fast Hands ability. It lets you use your cunning action as an object interaction, which includes drawing your weapon. Nice! Pick up multiattack from your martial class of choice (I'd recommend champion fighter, since increasing crit range and having advantage means you're significantly more likely to get that good o'l sneak attack crit), and then you can

Use your free object interaction to draw the net
Use the first attack in your multiattack to throw the net
Use your cunning action to draw your rapier
Use your second attack to attack with advantage and get your one-person sneak attack

Though, now that I look at it, it does seem like you could normally get your sneak attack with the net itself. Nothing in sneak attack says that the weapon must do damage. You do have to not have disadvantage, however. And the target would have to be near an ally to get it, or you'd have to be a melee-ranged swashbuckler.

If you have the dual-wielder feat, you can draw two rapiers instead of one, but you have already used your bonus action to draw so you can't use your off-hand attack anyway. Still, +1 ac is there.

I thought about all of this while trying to figure out how to make a rogue get their sneak attacks mid-combat on their own.

Net. A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.
When you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to attack with a net, you can make only one attack regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make.
Weapons Table

I don't think you can attack right after you use a net using Extra Attack. I do think you could use an Action Surge or Flurry of Blows to get extra attacks though. I also don't see where the PHB says that ranged weapons require two hands to use.

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 01:08 PM
Ah, I thought the "only make one attack" was restricted by drawing, no by an actual rule. Big oversight on my part. The way it's worded seems to suggest that it's "attack with a net and nothing else, no exceptions."

And the net does only take one hand, which makes you think that you can dual-wield a rapier in your main hand, but dual-wielding specifically says "light melee weapon," and the dual wielder feat just lets you use larger weapons. Can't dual wield ranged weapons. Which, because of the "only make one attack" part, means you couldn't even make that other attack anyway. Darn, I think that whole concept went down the drain :smallbiggrin: Ah well, it wasn't a great one to begin with. I do stand by the idea that you could theoretically, if you avoided the disadvantage, make a sneak attack with the net. Nothing in the rules disallows it, it just requires some way to avoid disadvantage. Make your wolf-totem barbarian stand next to your target to cancel disadvantage and grant an adjacent ally and any rogue can make a sneak attack with that net. You don't even technically have to have proficiency in the net, though that gladiator find makes that trivial anyway.

soldersbushwack
2016-03-13, 01:24 PM
Drackolous Two-weapon fighting doesn't allow you to hold weapons in two hands it means you can do a special bonus action attack (with an appropriate weapon) after one of your attacks (with an appropriate weapon.)

With Extra Attacks It is technically possible to do "two-weapon fighting" with nonlight weapons. You just can't do the extra bonus attack and there is no real advantage to it.

Edit: Having a whip in your off-hand to threaten more area for attacks of opportunity might be smart though.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-13, 01:39 PM
Ah, I thought the "only make one attack" was restricted by drawing, no by an actual rule. Big oversight on my part. The way it's worded seems to suggest that it's "attack with a net and nothing else, no exceptions."

And the net does only take one hand, which makes you think that you can dual-wield a rapier in your main hand, but dual-wielding specifically says "light melee weapon," and the dual wielder feat just lets you use larger weapons. Can't dual wield ranged weapons. Which, because of the "only make one attack" part, means you couldn't even make that other attack anyway. Darn, I think that whole concept went down the drain :smallbiggrin: Ah well, it wasn't a great one to begin with. I do stand by the idea that you could theoretically, if you avoided the disadvantage, make a sneak attack with the net. Nothing in the rules disallows it, it just requires some way to avoid disadvantage. Make your wolf-totem barbarian stand next to your target to cancel disadvantage and grant an adjacent ally and any rogue can make a sneak attack with that net. You don't even technically have to have proficiency in the net, though that gladiator find makes that trivial anyway.
Well, everybody makes mistakes, RAW the rogue works. But even then it doesn't add that much. It helps and makes the net useful, but EK just works better

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 01:49 PM
Well, I mean, sure, nothing's stopping you from holding a net in your off-hand and a rapier in your main hand, but you can never use the bonus action to actually use the net even without it's special rule because it's not a melee weapon. The same would apply to a dart, even though it's operation takes only one hand. It's a ranged weapon, so you don't get to use it or any other weapon in conjunction with it with dual wielding, even if you don't throw it. All holding it does is make you no longer have a free hand. The feat wouldn't even give you the +1 ac. Might as well be holding a vase.

Actually, a vase is probably considered a light melee (improvised) weapon, so maybe you could attack with it. Dual-wielding vases.

Crossbow master does kind of let you do a psuedo-two-weapon-fighting with a hand crossbow. As far as I can tell, it's really only practical to use with a single hand crossbow and not dual wield at all because of being a non-thrown ranged weapon and thus needing a free hand to load. You could throw a dart, but... why?

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-13, 01:52 PM
Well, I mean, sure, nothing's stopping you from holding a net in your off-hand and a rapier in your main hand, but you can never use the bonus action to actually use the net even without it's special rule because it's not a melee weapon. The same would apply to a dart, even though it's operation takes only one hand. It's a ranged weapon, so you don't get to use it or any other weapon in conjunction with it with dual wielding, even if you don't throw it. All holding it does is make you no longer have a free hand. The feat wouldn't even give you the +1 ac. Might as well be holding a vase.

Actually, a vase is probably considered a light melee (improvised) weapon, so maybe you could attack with it. Dual-wielding vases.

Crossbow master does kind of let you do a psuedo-two-weapon-fighting with a hand crossbow. As far as I can tell, it's really only practical to use with a single hand crossbow and not dual wield at all because of being a non-thrown ranged weapon and thus needing a free hand to load. You could throw a dart, but... why?

Exactly what I say is also that the two weapon fighting feat won't work...

I think you understand me wrong, the whole thing was not about two weapon fighting

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 01:55 PM
Exactly what I say is also that the two weapon fighting feat won't work...

I think you understand me wrong, the whole thing was not about two weapon fighting

Sorry, I was replying to soldersbushwack. I was also thinking about throwing in some hand crossbow shenanigans with the net, but that's shut down by that special rule too. So I've got nothin' :smallbiggrin:

mgshamster
2016-03-13, 02:22 PM

You can dual wield with thrown weapons. A net is a thrown weapon, so dual wielding is allowed.

Also, the rule about not being able to attack more than once is specifically referring to the action used (so if you had the extra attack action, you couldn't attack twice with the net).

There's nothing saying you're limited to one attack for your entire turn. This means that you can dual wield to throw the net, followed by an attack with a piercing or bludgeoning weapons.

JoeJ
2016-03-13, 02:26 PM
You can dual wield with thrown weapons. A net is a thrown weapon, so dual wielding is allowed.

Also, the rule about not being able to attack more than once is specifically referring to the action used (so if you had the extra attack action, you couldn't attack twice with the net).

There's nothing saying you're limited to one attack for your entire turn. This means that you can dual wield to throw the net, followed by an attack with a piercing or bludgeoning weapons.

So net and trident, with the entertainer (gladiator) background and I can play a retarius.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-13, 02:31 PM

Not true. The feat says melee weapons. You can use a net as a bonus action (see: war magic and war eric) but you can not and shall not dual wield a net.

RickAllison
2016-03-13, 02:37 PM
Not true. The feat says melee weapons. You can use a net as a bonus action (see: war magic and war eric) but you can not and shall not dual wield a net.

Indeed. The difference is that javelins, spears, and the like are melee weapons with the Thrown property, which is distinct from darts and nets which are just thrown ranged weapons.

Zalabim
2016-03-14, 02:26 AM
However, as pointed out earlier, you can attack with a net, a one-handed weapon, and that does meet the qualifications to make a bonus action attack with a Hand Crossbow if you have Crossbow Expert. This also means you can attack with a net in 5' range without suffering disadvantage. That still leaves a rogue needing Crossbow Expert and a way to get proficiency with a Net. The gladiator variant changes the equipment package, not the proficiency package.

Now, there is one character who has the combination of a single attack, martial weapon proficiency, high dexterity, and likely to have sharpshooter or crossbow expert: The bounty hunter Beast Master.

Shining Wrath
2016-03-14, 03:20 AM
Nets were actually used in the RW. One of the common Roman gladiatorial types was the Retarius (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retiarius), who used a net in one hand and a trident in the other.

What really cuts down on the utility of nets is the ability to choose to turn any melee attack into non-lethal damage. In a world where that's not so easy (please explain to me why, e.g., a rapier does the same amount of damage striking non-lethally), nets would be common equipment among guards who preferred to take their prisoners alive.

In 5e D&D, though, it's really more of a flavor or NPC weapon than something a PC can make good use of - with the acknowledgment that a character that's going to take Sharpshooter anyway may as well have a net or two on them.

Weighted nets falling from the ceiling, OTOH, are a DM staple and I encourage their use by BBEG everywhere.

Markoff Chainey
2016-03-14, 04:27 AM
great thread!

I like the combo of net + QStaff and EK (as an EK you have a lot of feats)

you can wield the QStaff in one hand, "net" your opponent and use the QStaff in 2 hands to knock him out.

The greates benefits of this build comes online with the help of the rest of your party, though. The thread concentrates too much on optimising one char IMO. - You can "net" the BBEG and everybody else can attack with advantage and that is good news for all Rogues with their sneak attack, GWM, Sharpshooter, summons with low attack...

Also, I think getting out / trying to get out of a net provokes AoO because doing so counts as movement, doesn't it?

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-14, 05:04 AM
However, as pointed out earlier, you can attack with a net, a one-handed weapon, and that does meet the qualifications to make a bonus action attack with a Hand Crossbow if you have Crossbow Expert. This also means you can attack with a net in 5' range without suffering disadvantage. That still leaves a rogue needing Crossbow Expert and a way to get proficiency with a Net. The gladiator variant changes the equipment package, not the proficiency package.

Now, there is one character who has the combination of a single attack, martial weapon proficiency, high dexterity, and likely to have sharpshooter or crossbow expert: The bounty hunter Beast Master.
So you can attack with a net and with a hand crossbow, especially because you have a free hand, but you will just deal barely more damage. Works great till you get war magic, though.

Nets were actually used in the RW. One of the common Roman gladiatorial types was the Retarius (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retiarius), who used a net in one hand and a trident in the other.

What really cuts down on the utility of nets is the ability to choose to turn any melee attack into non-lethal damage. In a world where that's not so easy (please explain to me why, e.g., a rapier does the same amount of damage striking non-lethally), nets would be common equipment among guards who preferred to take their prisoners alive.

In 5e D&D, though, it's really more of a flavor or NPC weapon than something a PC can make good use of - with the acknowledgment that a character that's going to take Sharpshooter anyway may as well have a net or two on them.

Weighted nets falling from the ceiling, OTOH, are a DM staple and I encourage their use by BBEG everywhere.
PCs can use it well, but not with the typical trident/net warrior. It is still a nice combo

great thread!

I like the combo of net + QStaff and EK (as an EK you have a lot of feats)

you can wield the QStaff in one hand, "net" your opponent and use the QStaff in 2 hands to knock him out.

The greates benefits of this build comes online with the help of the rest of your party, though. The thread concentrates too much on optimising one char IMO. - You can "net" the BBEG and everybody else can attack with advantage and that is good news for all Rogues with their sneak attack, GWM, Sharpshooter, summons with low attack...

Also, I think getting out / trying to get out of a net provokes AoO because doing so counts as movement, doesn't it?

thanks, and a nice combo you have there too