Saves: Dex+7, Con+7, Wis+7, Cha+8
Skills: Any skills the DM feels appropriate
Damage Immunities: cold*
Damage Resistance: fire*, damage from nonmagical weapons
(* Results of “Investiture of Ice”)
Senses: Passive Perception 17, darkvision 60 feet
Languages: Any number of languages that the DM feels appropriate
Challenge Rating: 10 (5900 XP)
Magic Resistance. The Witch has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Eldritch Invocations. The Witch can see through both magical and non-magical darkness within a 120 feet radius. Add her Charisma modifier to the damage of each ray of the Witch’s Eldritch Blast.
Frost Blast. Whenever the Witch casts Eldritch Blast, its damage’s type is treated as cold damage. Also, if the beam hits a creature, roll a 1d6. If the result is 6, the creature suffers from the “Restrained” condition till the start of the Witch’s next turn.
In addition to the above, whenever the beams hit a creature or object, three grids of the Witch’s choice, including the grid (or one of the grids) which contains the creature/object that was hit, become covered in ice (the selected grids must be adjacent to one another). (If the beam does not hit its originally intended target, the DM may rule that the beam will keep on advancing and eventually hit the ground or an object in a particular grid of the DM’s choice.)
Any grid covered in ice becomes difficult terrain, and whenever a creature tries to move 5 feet within the ice grid, it must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or fall prone (if the creature succeeds on this save, it does need to repeat this saving throw any more during that turn, regardless of how many extra grids he moves).
The ice created by the Witch's magic is magical, and does not melt on its own. However, if magical fire damage is inflicted to any grid covered in ice, or if the DM otherwise deems that a particular arcane event melts the ice covering the grid, the grid is no more covered by ice. If the Witch dies, the ice will melt as well.
Body of Ice. The Witch does not need to concentrate on “investiture of ice” to maintain its effects. Also, when the Witch casts Cone of Cold, or uses the “freezing wind” ability of “investiture of ice”, all grids within range of the effect become covered with ice. The rules applied to the ice grids created by the Frost Blast ability also apply to ice grids created by this ability.
Innate Spellcasting. The Witch’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 16, +8 to hit with spell attacks). The Witch can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: detect magic, dispel magic, eldritch blast (three beams), investiture of ice*
3/day each: armor of agathys (as a 5th-level spell)*
2/day each: counterspell, hex (as a 5th-level spell)
1/day each: power word stun
* Cast before combat

Actions
Cone of Cold. (Recharge 5-6) The Witch casts “Cone of Cold”.

Reactions
Absolute Zero. When the Witch’s HP cut 60, immediately and as a reaction, the Witch casts “Cone of Cold” as a 7th-level spell. The Witch can use this ability only once per long rest.

Legendary Actions
The Witch can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The Witch regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Seeping Cold. The Witch targets 5 grids within 120 feet (which do not have to be adjacent to each other). They are covered in ice.
Cast Spell (Costs 2 Actions.) The Witch casts "detect magic", "dispel magic", "armor of agathys", or "power word stun".
Ice Teleport. (Costs 2 Actions.) The Witch disappears and reappears in a grid within 120 feet of her original grid. This ability cannot be used unless the original grid she stood in and the grid which she reappears in are both covered by ice.

BTW, this means that if your party is going to venture into her hideout which is a castle she conjured out of a glacier while singing dramatically or whatever, chances are every single grid in the hideout is covered with ice. Which is pretty damn realistic, mind you. If you don't want the Player Characters to be frozen to a husk by having the Witch spamming Cone of Cold while the characters are slipping and falling all over the place, you should first give them advice, as well as ways to counter the witch's abilities, before actual combat.
However, generally, it isn't the best idea to confront the witch in her own fighting grounds. Perhaps set up an encounter where some parts of the map is already frozen, but some places aren't - and have the cold slowly seep into the map. Sort of an tactical encounter.

Comments and constructive critisism greatly appreciated.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-13, 05:32 AM
My only comment is: "where's Rimefang?" That sword is emblematic of the Winter Witch...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5f/e5/87/5fe587c7148144182aecd06b1b182dff.jpg
Also, I'd have aimed for a higher CR. The original was an epic-level challenge. And she's canonically Chaotic Evil (though I don't quite agree with that; she seems more NE to me).

Gastronomie
2016-03-13, 06:35 AM
Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Which is not your fault, really. I did not know at all that a "Winter Witch" already existed in the previous editions of the game.

If it seems confusing I will change the name. This is a completely different, original concept.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-13, 06:44 AM
Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Which is not your fault, really. I did not know at all that a "Winter Witch" already existed in the previous editions of the game.

If it seems confusing I will change the name. This is a completely different, original concept.

Oh, sorry. Yeah, The Winter Witch is an archfey. She was the focus of the 4e module Winter of the Witch and a major inspiration for the recent swathe of cold-themed homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?480638-The-Witch-of-Winter-(for-RavenJovan)) by RavenJovan, Xaphedo and myself. It might be best if you changed the name. :smallwink:

Gastronomie
2016-03-13, 06:48 AM
I can't think up a good name at the moment...

The Glacier Witch? Frost Sorcerer? The Witch of Frost? I dunno. Going with the Glacier Witch for now, but if anyone has other ideas please let me know.

JohanOfKitten
2016-03-14, 05:00 AM
I like this creature and might see some epic fights there.

But something bugs me a little :
Why a Constitution saving throw to avoid slip on the ice and fall prone ?
It would be more logical to make a Dex saving throw, or a Dex ability check (Acrobatic), as we can see in several situations in the game when characters must deal with special ground.

Gastronomie
2016-03-14, 05:40 AM
I like this creature and might see some epic fights there.

But something bugs me a little :
Why a Constitution saving throw to avoid slip on the ice and fall prone ?
It would be more logical to make a Dex saving throw, or a Dex ability check (Acrobatic), as we can see in several situations in the game when characters must deal with special ground.

Sorry, copy-pasted off a previous thing I made and forgot to change it. Will change it to DEX.

RavenJovan
2016-03-14, 09:06 AM
I like it, I'ma look more closely at it later.