PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rimefire Eidolon

RavenJovan
2016-03-15, 12:56 PM
"This creature appears as a jagged lump of ice surrounded by a nimbus of cold blue fire. It walks along the ground with the aid of several thin tendrils.
Rimefire eidolons are the living manifestations of the shards of the ancient deity Hleid, who landed in the polar seas after she was struck down ages ago by her nemesis Iborighu. Rimefire eidolons are unusual creatures. As the last physical vestiges of an ancient deity, they carry about them an almost palpable aura of sadness and anger. The intense cold radiated by these creatures when they were first created and cast into the seas caused the waters around them to instantly freeze into massive icebergs.
These icebergs serve as excellent protection against minions of Iborighu, who to this day seek to track down and destroy rimefire eidolons.
A rimefire eidolon uses its spell-like abilities to carve complex networks of tunnels and chambers within one of these icebergs. The eidolon then takes care to create dangerous traps and place fierce and loyal guardians in the chambers in an attempt to keep all others (especially cultists of Iborighu) from reaching it. A rimefire eidolon is gifted with the ability to mentally seek out and contact a rimefire witch, one of the mortal worshipers of Hleid; when it calls its mortal guardian, it provides directions and passwords in the form of dreams for the guardian to safely reach the rimefire eidolon.
A rimefire eidolon in its natural form looks like a 4-foot sphere of light blue fire, swirling around a jagged lump of crystal-clear ice that moves about via several long and thin tendrils made of flexible ice. After bonding with a mortal, a rimefire eidolon changes its appearance to look like an animated statue of ice that is otherwise a perfect replica of its bonded rimefire witch.
Rimefire eidolons avoid melee combat, since they are rather unskilled in it. They prefer to maintain ranged superiority by virtue of their swift fly speed, and use their rimefire bolts and spell-like abilities to defend themselves. If a rimefire eidolon has a bonded rimefire witch and it ever sustains damage or succumbs to a harmful effect, the bonded witch comes to the eidolon’s aid as quickly as possible. High-level rimefire witches can use word of recall to instantaneously travel to the heart of a rimefire eidolon’s iceberg, and do so without hesitation if their eidolon is ever in danger."

Rimefire Bond: A rimefire eidolon may forge a powerful spiritual bond with an aspiring rimefire witch. Doing so requires the rimefire eidolon to simply touch the target and will the bond to exist. Once it is forged, this bond is a permanent effect and cannot be dispelled or destroyed. If a rimefire witch or her eidolon is killed, this bond is broken. If the slain member of the bond is brought back to life within a year of death, the rimefire bond instantly reforges itself despite any physical distance between the two. As long as the bond exists, a rimefire eidolon knows the location and condition of its bonded witch as if by the status spell. Additionally, the rimefire eidolon gains advantage on all saving throws against mind-affecting and death effects. This bond is powerful enough that it can extend across planar boundaries.

RIMEFIRE EIDOLON
Medium Fey, chaotic good
Armor Class: 16
Hit Points: 225 (30d8 +90)
Speed: 30 ft., fly 120 ft.

STR: 10 DEX: 24 CON: 17
INT: 15 WIS: 22 CHA: 17

Saving Throws: Str +__, Con +__, Dex +__, Wis +__
Damage Immunities: cold, poison
Condition Immunities: poisoned
Damage Resistances: fire, bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage from non-magical weapons
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Tremorsense 60 ft., Passive Perception __
Languages: Auran, Aquan, Common, Sylvan
Immortal Nature: Rimefire Eidolons have no need to eat, drink, or breathe
Magic Resistance: The eidolon has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Challenge Rating: _

Iceberg Dependent: A rimefire eidolon risks death if it travels more than 300 yards from its iceberg home; if forced to do so, it takes 1d6 points of damage per round until it either dies or is allowed to return to its iceberg. Finally, a rimefire eidolon can cause its iceberg to move by concentrating; each round it maintains its concentration, the iceberg moves as it directs at a speed of 20 feet.
Ice Glide: An eidolon can glide through ice, snow, or slush as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, and its passage does not create any ripples or other signs of its presence.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day): If the eidolon fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Innate Spellcasting: The eidolon's innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC __, +_ to hit with spell attacks). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: blur, clairvoyance (only within 300 yards of home iceberg), detect evil and good, detect magic, ice shape (like stone shape), see invisibility
3/day: chill metal, cone of cold, ice storm, wall of ice
1/day: Deep Freeze, Polar ray

COMBAT
Multiattack: The eidolon can make three rimefire bolt attacks.

Rimefire Bolt: ranged spell attack, +_ to hit, range 10/60 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d6+6) cold damage plus 9 (1d6+6).

Polar Ray (Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard)
8th Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 120 Feet
Components: V, S, M (a piece of glass or crystal carved into a snowflake)
Duration: Instant
A bright white ray of absolute cold shoots from your finger at a target. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, it takes 12d10 Cold damage, and its speed is reduced to 0 and it cannot benefit from bonuses to its speed until the end of its next turn. On a miss, the target takes 4d8 Cold damage and is not immobilized.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a 9th level spell slot, increase the on hit damage by 3d10, and the miss damage by 2d8.

Deep Freeze (Druid)
8th Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 40 Feet
Components: V, S, M (A bit of ice)
Duration: 1 Hour
You attempt to freeze solid a single creature you can see within range. The target creature must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, its speed is reduced by half and it takes 3d6 Cold damage as its body begins to freeze. On a successful save, the creature is unaffected.
A creature affected by this spell must make another Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On each failure, it takes another 3d6 Cold damage. If it successfully saves against this spell 3 times, the effect ends. If it fails the save three times, it is frozen solid and subjected to the petrified condition. The successes and failures don't have to be consecutive, keep track of both until the target collect three of a kind. A creature with vulnerability to Cold damage and creatures made of water (such as a water weird) have disadvantage on the saving throws.
If the creature is physically broken while frozen, it suffers from similar deformities when it reverts to its original state. Oozes and creatures made of water have disadvantage on any saves made against this spell. Creatures with resistance or immunity to cold damage are unaffected. If the creature is fully frozen, it thaws naturally after 1 hour, or sooner if the magic is dispelled.

EDIT: Incomplete. Comments, suggestions, rebalancing?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-16, 04:16 PM
I'm not going to CR this one for you. You've got to learn to stand on your own feet sooner or later. :smalltongue: Plus I don't have the spell descriptions for Deep Freeze and Polar Ray to hand. At a glance though, if it can cast Cone of Cold three times a day, its offensive CR is going to be lumpin' high. 90 HP, without Legendary Resistance or Magic Resistance, is not going to be enough at the sorts of levels where you would encounter this thing.

Random thought: its save proficiencies should be Strength and Constitution. Or all four of them. The official guidelines say to use a monster's save proficiencies to cover weak spots, and I could totally see an ice-themed eidolon having surprisingly high resistance to poisons and restraints.

Why bother with a slam attack? It'll never get used, and if this creature is the weird, spider-like glob of blue fire that GIS is showing me, I don't really see how it would even make a slam attack.

RavenJovan
2016-03-17, 02:50 PM
I'm not going to CR this one for you. You've got to learn to stand on your own feet sooner or later. :smalltongue:

But I don't wanna, plus what if I'm wrong when I but in the CR...I don't even know how to CR anything....:smallfrown:

Plus I don't have the spell descriptions for Deep Freeze and Polar Ray to hand. At a glance though, if it can cast Cone of Cold three times a day, its offensive CR is going to be lumpin' high. 90 HP, without Legendary Resistance or Magic Resistance, is not going to be enough at the sorts of levels where you would encounter this thing.

Posted, and I think legendary resistance is and or magic resistance is something to be added....I'm starting to think perhaps 20+ would be the CR

Random thought: its save proficiencies should be Strength and Constitution. Or all four of them. The official guidelines say to use a monster's save proficiencies to cover weak spots, and I could totally see an ice-themed eidolon having surprisingly high resistance to poisons and restraints.

And this is why I value your insight, you remind me of many things I overlook.:smalltongue:

Why bother with a slam attack? It'll never get used, and if this creature is the weird, spider-like glob of blue fire that GIS is showing me, I don't really see how it would even make a slam attack.

Agreed and removed