PDA

View Full Version : Did we just get Scooby Doo'd? (Plot help)

Mr.Sandman
2016-03-16, 04:38 AM
Greetings! A few months from now I am going to be GMing a few games of 'Monster of the Week', a game based around hunting monsters like the tv show Supernatural. One of the classes has an ability that basically turns the adventure into an episode of Scooby Doo, which I plan on asking my players not to choose, but I did get to thinking it might make for a good villain out to discredit the heroes. The problem is that I can't think of a monster that would make sense to be able to do that. Is it transforming folk into monsters, and then untransforming them for the reveal? Creating Monsters and the people to go with them? Cursed Masks? So please hit me with your monster ideas, bonus points if it is some kind of fairy. Thank you.

JeenLeen
2016-03-16, 10:59 AM
From your OP, I'm guessing a guy just posing as a monster is not what you want. I could see some occultist using magic to pull off the disguises and illusions one sees in Scooby Doo.

BUT for a real, temporary monster:
Perhaps an enchantment that turns somebody into a greedy, manipulative monster? Best if it's someone already kinda evil but this puts them over the edge, intensifying their negative traits.
Most Scooby-Doo villains are doing their zany plot for some sort of monetary gain, so I think having it intensify greed would fit.

I reckon a fairy might do this as a distraction or just to cause general mischief. Or if it's unseelie (I don't know Supernatural, but I'm guessing it has Seelie/Unseelie), it wants to feed off the negative emotions generated.
If your players like moral difficulties, have the mental-modification wear off when the monster-form does, so that the person is horrified at how far they went. That is the fairy's motivation. Maybe the fairy wants him to fail and get caught, so it can soak up the misery.
As I type this, it occurs the fairy could pose as a human in the jail, feeding on misery of the innocent-but-manipulated who were jailed.

You could potentially have a couple minor Scooby-Doo monsters, then a confrontation with the fairy itself.

Word of Caution: some players may dislike a monster having powers they are forbidden. This depends on the group and what the understanding of the power was (not existent vs. not for PCs).

Segev
2016-03-16, 02:33 PM
A werewolf in his human form is indistinguishable from humans, generally speaking. Have him get a werewolf costume to use for his "denial" stunt. Bonus points if he was the one who called the PCs there, and offered them a reward that he collected by gathering donations from those scared of the "fake" werewolf.

If he's particularly clever about it, he'll start up a fan blog (or equivalent rumor mill) about them and their adventures, and run that as well as seeking out some sort of pen-pal like relationship with the party. This will both make him asking for help not "out of the blue" when he calls to the PCs, and let him appear to have been colluding with them for quite some time to set up this "fraud."

By the time the truth is revealed, he can protest too much or play the "broken pedestal" card to make it look like he and the PCs are a group of charlatans who bilk small towns out of their money.