PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Modern, Adjusted For Realism V.2.7

Tevo77777
2016-03-18, 09:58 PM
Hello yall!

Sometime ago I set up a format for Pathfinder Modern that mostly pulls from D-20 Modern for a lot of it's additional rules and policies.

Here is a video where I explain what I did to Pathfinder Modern to make it be as hardcore and interesting as I needed it to be, to encourage characters to pick their weapons carefully like you would in Fallout or some other shooting RPG.

Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8jEnR9r2pw)

Also I have a goggle docs link that shows all of the various firearms currently in the game except for a few that have to be looted rather then sold. I am adjusting it right now so that it shows more weapons from the setting.

Goggle stats (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nYJaXdih4yUCWYNK1r7_OfRyJ0WHmBbXZsYS__Fqbrw/edit?usp=sharing)

All of the looting mechanics are part whatever makes sense to me and the players, along with what worked in D-20 Apoc.

You might notice that I made Glocks not mastercraft and I can explain why easily, because they are not impressive handguns. Everyone with a gun in America seems to own a Glock or M1911 these days. Glocks are not impressive. They are just a cheap, reliable handgun, with 17 rounds and no flip safety.

Weapons with a +1 in the first column are mastercraft, the second plus column is scopes. Obviously firing with a scope is a quick or move action.

Arkhios
2016-03-18, 11:04 PM
A few things I'd like a clarification with.
Also, a note: I'm currently incapable of watching the video.

What's this Goggle Docs you're talking about? :smalltongue:

Humor aside, it's not all that obvious to me, whether a Scope firing is Quick (I'm assuming you mean Swift) action or Move Action. Do you mean the attack roll is Swift or Move action, or the aiming through Scope?
If former, it feels a bit too strong in the Pathfinder rules. I don't recall any Swift or Move actions that would let you attack as such action.
If latter, I'd say Move action, because it takes considerable focus and training to look through a scope and aim well (FYI, even a slightest motion affects the accuracy)

Does masterclass mean masterwork in this context or is it a new feature in regards to mechanics?

Tevo77777
2016-03-18, 11:30 PM
A few things I'd like a clarification with.
Also, a note: I'm currently incapable of watching the video.

What's this Goggle Docs you're talking about? :smalltongue:

Humor aside, it's not all that obvious to me, whether a Scope firing is Quick (I'm assuming you mean Swift) action or Move Action. Do you mean the attack roll is Swift or Move action, or the aiming through Scope?
If former, it feels a bit too strong in the Pathfinder rules. I don't recall any Swift or Move actions that would let you attack as such action.
If latter, I'd say Move action, because it takes considerable focus and training to look through a scope and aim well (FYI, even a slightest motion affects the accuracy)

Does masterclass mean masterwork in this context or is it a new feature in regards to mechanics?

Aiming down the scope at a target is a swift or move action. Firing is a move action. Changing targets is another move or swift action.

Mastercraft in D-20 Modern, meant that a weapon gets +1 to hit because it's super awesome. In that game, Colt Pythons, Glocks, and MP5s were the most common masterclass weapons.

Which is stupid, because Glocks are super common and not that special and MP5s are just good sub-machineguns.

Tevo77777
2016-03-25, 03:43 AM
To quote myself and add to this topic on how this modified system works. Link is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482013-The-Most-Dangerous-Way-To-Make-Money-(NS-Pathfinder-Modern))

"Any issues that come up during the game will be decided on the spot by me, with help from the players. If we need a new mechanic and it doesn't exist, we go with what works for us; and then test later to get something more practical.

Players will not die in this game unless they get crazy, but they can lose limbs, shoulders, knees, elbows, and hands. You loot what you kill or what you get to first, all enemies are profitable at around 300 NSD in possessions on average.

Yes, there is some magic in the game; no I will not make it clear who has it and how it works. You have to talk to me privately about getting a class with some abilities.

No Katanas, the last person who mentioned katanas scared off all of the other players in the game and crashed it; this was the second campaign.

No porting characters from your favorite cartoons or anime.

Yes, you can steal from other players; but do not be a jerk about it or try to be all deep and mysterious if you don't have a good backstory planned.

That's about it, hope that didn't sound like to many rules."

"1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Pathfinder, Modern. If you put that into goggle, you should find a link to something called "Modern Path".

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

See the first post. That should provide a lot of information, maybe more then you need. If you are still confused, no it's not on earth; it's just a planet with a lot of really bizarre nations. You can blame the thousands of players.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

I want to have five people in all, involved. So far I have two players in and two players from the previous bit of the story who are both available at conflicting times. I have to figure out which of them to pick, so right now I need two more players.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Roll-20 and Skype. If you can't get Roll20 to work or want to use your phone because you aren't at your computer, I can describe to you and roll for you. I have done that before and it's fine with me if it's fine with you.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Currently lvl 1, if you level up you don't get any HP; but it should be close to impossible for you get to get killed. All criticals just knock you out and make you bleed out, but death has been dodged about five times so far while I was DM.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

You roll 1D20 and that's how much you get in hundreds of Universal Dollars, a bonus comes from your past. I use the old D-20 professions because they give more bonuses, any skills your profession names are half price.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Pathfinder Modern has classes based on the older D-20 Modern Classes. A list is here.

Oh, also I am considering porting over some of the advanced classes from D-20 Modern and Future. Maybe as an Archetype? I think that needs more testing.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

There is Humans, Neo-Terrans, Greys, Elves, and a few other things in the setting. However, most of the other stuff is not canon for me at least. Greys are ran by a friend of mine, and I run the Neo-Terrans. As you might guess, I am not sure anyone would get the backstory enough to play as these 99% human variants.

The elves I might allow, but I am unsure how to get it to work in the setting. Maybe if we leave it vague as to where they come from? People can decide if it's magic or science that did this.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Pathfinder Point System. It's the first link when you goggle. We use a standard fantasy amount of points.

Please no stats under 8.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Most of the characters are here to make a quick ten grand, so anything from neutral chaotic and up is fine. Just only pick the pockets of the other characters while they are sleeping and try not to create to much drama.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

I am not sure how Pathfinder or Pathfinder Modern treats multi-classing. My only concerns with it are players changing their fixed HP or that your class is based on your highest stat.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

If the roll is complicated to explain or you don't understand it, I will roll it. If you can't make Roll 20 work, I will roll for you.

Anything else, you can roll if you want. If you get the roll wrong, I will help you figure it out. Any roll you make I and all of the other players can see.

Good luck trying to cheat.

I'm not being serious obviously, please no drama.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Ooh. Well most of the new rules are mentioned in the video. The full auto setting are different from D-20 Modern, so far they work really good after lots of testing.

Basically, you get your first shot off and then your next 4 shots will have two kick if you are firing a burst. So if you are strong enough then your chance to hit won't get affected, kick is covered here.

Full auto involves picking a four-six square rectangle and then rolling the first shot normally, with the other ones having four kick. You decide clockwise or counterclockwize.

So the gun will be aimed at squares 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 or 1,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1. In that order. The order of the rolls decides if each bullet hits whatever is in that square.

If this sound to complicated, let me know and we or I can do another two hours of testing to find a replacement system. I just know that so far this works pretty good for me and my past players.

Oh and we use a cash system in this game, along with a barter system. So be prepared to read faces or let other people do that for you.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Please.

This game is about making the money, about that ten grand in less then a week. Some people want the ten grand to start their new life back home, maybe get married, maybe have something to live off, maybe to get something nice, maybe to have something to do, maybe to start an empire, or perhaps to just thrill-seek.

People lose shoulders in this setting. When people die, they die brutally and quickly or brutally and slowly. Your character is going to need motivation, something that makes all of this danger worth it to them.

One of the players, one of my best; was just a baseball player who became something of an assassin during the game. It was fine because his character really got into the idea of hiding and jumping people, so it was worked.

So yeah, you don't really need a background that is that deep if you can play and cooperate; but it would be cool if your backstory was as complicated as the setting can get if you dig deep enough.

All of my games have people going "Oh crap, what have we gotten ourselves into" or "Cool, look what I found!". There is a lot of mystery and trying to understand what is going on, so I think it would be swell if your character has a bit of a past.

Or a really hot person back home they want to offer a ten grand ring, that works too.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Out of 15+ sessions that are typically two hours, almost all of them had the following happening:
Combat.
Looting.
Trying to figure out what just attacked us.
Talking among ourselves and trying to get Intel.
A part where we are moving around and talking.
A period of about 15 minutes where our characters share a meal.

Every other game is likely going to have trading.
That same game is likely to be mostly interacting with peaceful NPCs, for the first half or slightly more.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Uhhhhhh....

I'm kinda pushing the frontier of a game not that many play, with rules that I had to make from scratch and test, based on a game everyone quit playing like ten years ago.

So um.... I think we are restricted to all of the D-20 Modern, Past, Apoc, and so on stuff. Including Weapons Locker.

If your character wants to bring snacks, or supplies that fit their old background; do a little bit of reading on the internet.

Now, someone on Roll 20 asked me if there will be magic in the game.

There are zombies, people appearing where they weren't a minute ago, people failing to die, and things just generally being really weird.

There are some cults, various belief systems, tons of secretive organizations, and several very noble movements with very devout beliefs.

I would like to leave players unsure if magic in the game is magic or if there really is magic in the game."

Status Update:

I'm considering adding a few spells to this mostly non-magical setting. However, since characters can't gain HP from lvling up and are very fragile, I think most magic will be empowering the caster or the target.

I'm also looking into having a physical and mental cost for casting spells.

Is there somewhere or someone I can talk to privately about this? Don't want to give to much away.

Sahleb
2016-04-09, 12:39 PM
Aiming down the scope at a target is a swift or move action. Firing is a move action. Changing targets is another move or swift action.

Masterclass in D-20 Modern, meant that a weapon gets +1 to hit because it's super awesome. In that game, Colt Pythons, Glocks, and MP5s were the most common masterclass weapons.

Which is stupid, because Glocks are super common and not that special and MP5s are just good sub-machineguns.

I think it's supposed to say mastercraft, right?

Tevo77777
2016-04-09, 04:14 PM
I think it's supposed to say mastercraft, right?

Typo on my part. It is mastercraft.