PDA

View Full Version : Shrieker Fungus and Other Screamers: Do you yell out loud?

Parvum
2016-03-19, 08:22 PM
So the shrieker's been around for a while, and even without it the bloodcurdling scream has been a staple 'thing' any time the end of the world has been nigh.

When something in your game screams, do you scream for your players? Is that just annoying? Is there a way to make it work?

Morcleon
2016-03-19, 08:37 PM
Unless your DM has a tendency to talk using the sounds and voices of the various monsters and NPCs you encounter, it would probably just be awkward and annoying. I did have one DM that did have a habit of making said noises, and it went pretty well because it was consistent (and he just used Swedish for any non-Common language). :smalltongue:

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-19, 09:56 PM
I might, if it's an ambush or something. It can throw off the players a bit when you suddenly shriek at them and then start anouncing attack rolls and demanding saves.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-19, 11:03 PM
I usually play a recording of any screams/dragon roars/thunder ect. at my table. I have a portable speaker that I either sit behind my screen or hide in the room. I think that works better than trying to make the sounds myself.

goto124
2016-03-20, 06:27 AM
Would be a bit difficult over PbP :smalltongue:

Then again, when a group of players on these forums got into a fight with a giant scary deathbotm, the GM linked to a Youtube video of Alice: Madness Returns boss battle music. So...

PallentisLunam
2016-03-20, 09:28 AM
OP didn't specify PbP :smalltongue:

But I have done that too. Emmbedding links to sound bites or video clips can be fun (when your players actually click on them :smallannoyed:)

Morcleon
2016-03-20, 09:30 AM

But I have done that too. Emmbedding links to sound bites or video clips can be fun (when your players actually click on them :smallannoyed:)

pls do not link people to screaming noises without a warning tho

PallentisLunam
2016-03-20, 09:33 AM
Well what I usually do is something like:

The witch cackles maniacally (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mKGXGFwwdTs)

So if you can't figure it out... well I can't help you :smallbiggrin:

Winter_Wolf
2016-03-20, 05:30 PM

I think we're both glad we don't play together then. As a rule I try to avoid clicking links on this site unless I'm both sure of what it is and I actually want to open said link. Blame it on people who write a link that says "this" and it can be pretty much anything and usually is something that I'd never open if they'd taken that whole five seconds to be a little more descriptive.

I don't think I'd be too keen on a DM impersonation of a shrieker (or really any kind of screaming). I'm sure you've seen the video clips of the guy in a costume who scares the hell out of nine people, but then the tenth person just busts him in the face because he's only got the "fight" response. People tend not to try surprising me more than once. :smalltongue:

Knaight
2016-03-20, 06:37 PM
I do use sound effects in description (albeit in a way largely restricted to proper onomatopoeia use and emphasis), but in the case of something like a shreiker or similar I'd go with a pure description. Similarly, I generally am not fond of making growling noises or similar*.

*Reason #504 not to ever play Werewolf: The Apocalypse again.

goto124
2016-03-21, 10:15 AM
I typically pause the video to read the title, description, and comments before actually playing the video.

Might help!

Strigon
2016-03-21, 09:52 PM
Absolutely not.
At my most terrifying, I'm somewhere around Mr. Rogers. When it comes to creepy grins and the like, I've got it down, but threatening screams are far beyond my physical abilities.

But that's what speakers are for.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-22, 11:38 AM
I have a good imagination. I don't need someone to crack my head with a club to know what that might feel like, I don't need anyone grabbing me when a monster does that to my character, and I certainly don't need anyone shrieking in my ear while I'm trying to wind down. It's unpleasant and I'd rather not deal with that.

I dimly recall someone trying to scream in play (not an inside voice; a real full-throated scream). I'm skeptical of the benefits in terms of immersion, as I find myself removed from the game when it happens.

Leewei
2016-03-22, 04:26 PM
If you're playing it seriously, no, don't scream. If you're playing it for laughs, Google the Wilhelm Scream.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-22, 04:57 PM
If you're playing it seriously, no, don't scream. If you're playing it for laughs, Google the Wilhelm Scream.

Ehh, the willhelm scream isn't funny anymore, it's too overused.

Lycanthrope13
2016-03-22, 06:19 PM
Generally I prefer a basic description over a cheesy imitation. Although, I do see the value of using it for a jump scare. Had a DM who was a big fan of that. He liked to knock us off kilter every once in a while to see how we performed on the fly. Sometimes he used it to interrupt communication between players too. Said the PCs couldn't hear each other. Those were make or break moments, trying to strategize without talking to each other.

Leewei
2016-03-22, 09:25 PM
Ehh, the willhelm scream isn't funny anymore, it's too overused.

You're pretty right, but if the players aren't expecting it, it'll still get laughs the first time or two.