PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Wished you had played?

2D8HP
2016-03-19, 10:59 PM
What RPG's do you wish you had played but never got to?
My list would be:
1) King Arthur Pendragon
2) Castle Falkenstien
3) Post 1e AD&D editions of D&D

Silus
2016-03-19, 11:17 PM
1) Rift's Robotech *Puts on "We Will Win" on endless loop*
2) Call of Cthulhu
3) Monsters and Other Childish Things
4) The Atomic Robo game

Lord Raziere
2016-03-20, 12:32 AM
1) Anima Beyond Fantasy (well technically there was one game but it ended way too quickly to really count)
2) Eclipse Phase (same)
3) Mage: The Ascension or Mage: the Awakening
4) Changeling: The Lost
5) Exalted (a few games but they all died so fast...)
6) OVA: the Anime Roleplaying Game
7) Black Crusade

Vitruviansquid
2016-03-20, 12:39 AM
I played Pendragon already, but can I say I wish I played Pendragon again, but with people who were more familiar with Arthurian tales?

sktarq
2016-03-20, 03:36 AM
I saw this game in the FLGS where you played mice. . . In a cross between three blind mice world, Peter briar rabbits, and Mr toad style world. . . I wish I had bought it when I saw it but when I went back the next time it was gone and never saw it again.

Mastikator
2016-03-20, 06:04 AM
Exhaled, Traveler and Dark Heresy

Anti-Eagle
2016-03-20, 01:30 PM
I saw this game in the FLGS where you played mice. . . In a cross between three blind mice world, Peter briar rabbits, and Mr toad style world. . . I wish I had bought it when I saw it but when I went back the next time it was gone and never saw it again. If you're still looking for it I think that's Mouse Guard.

As for mine in no particular order: Planescape (I'm aware it's a setting), Eclipse Phase, Shadowrun, Exalted, Call of Cthulhu, and Dark Heresy/ Black Crusade/ Only War/ Deathwatch.

Lord Torath
2016-03-20, 02:19 PM
Spelljammer. (I might actually get to play this if my son will get to work on the next part of the adventure. We're Groundlings who have only just acquired a ship.

Palladium Robotech: Macross (because the VF-1s are just the coolest veritechs) and Third Invid War (because the new cyclones are so cool!)

sktarq
2016-03-20, 05:57 PM
If you're still looking for it I think that's Mouse Guard.

*SQUEEK!* thankyou!:smallbiggrin:

Telwar
2016-03-20, 09:32 PM
Exalted and Feng Shui, mostly.

What's more irritating is I could probably convince folks to do Feng Shui, but for Exalted, it's got a rep...and my beloved Lunars won't be in 3e for like 3-5 years.

Anti-Eagle
2016-03-20, 10:49 PM
*SQUEEK!* thankyou!:smallbiggrin:

Happy to help.

Velaryon
2016-03-21, 12:28 AM
There are several games that I can name for this topic, but there's one that absolutely must come first:

WWE Know Your Role.

http://www.wholesalegaming.com/i/wwek/wweknowyourrolerpg/wweknowyourroleRPG300x393.jpg
Probably the only time Hardcore Holly was ever on the cover of anything.

A pro wrestling RPG using the d20 system (more or less, anyway). It takes d20 Modern's idea of having classes based around the six ability scores and uses them to represent different wrestling styles: Strength for power wrestlers (most big guys), Dex for aerial wrestlers (most cruiserweights), Con for rough superstars (brawlers, hardcore wrestlers, etc.), Int for technical wrestlers, Wisdom for managers (the noncombatant class), and Charisma for savvy wrestlers (basically the sneaky, clever types). Multiclassing freely is encouraged. Main event-level wrestlers are high level, while jobbers are low level. You gain experience whether you win or lose (though of course you gain more for winning), as well as for good roleplaying, and there are also rules for dropping levels due to inactivity (this is how a former champion like Sgt. Slaughter or Ric Flair can be knocked out in one punch by a current wrestler).

The combat system is really cool - different wrestling moves are represented by cobbling together a series of positive and negative modifiers. Things like how may damage dice and what die type are used, whether the move can possibly stun the opponent (or yourself), whether it's an illegal move or one that will get you automatically disqualified if the ref catches you, and so on all provide a plus or minus on your attack roll, which is also modified by your BAB, the key ability for the move you're trying to do (they're classified by the same six categories as the classes, with simple moves as the Wisdom category), and other modifiers for fatigue, bonuses from classes or feats, and so on.

It sounds much more complicated than it really is, though it helps if everyone has a copy of the modifier chart and a list of the sample moves provided.

In order to simulate a real wrestling federation, everyone is strongly encouraged to play multiple characters, and players not involved in the match can do things like take on the commentary roles. Best of all, the game practically runs itself because characters bounce off each other and that creates the story, so you don't even really need a GM unless you want one.

------------------------

So here's why I've never gotten to play it.

I used to have a fairly regular gaming group on Friday nights. We had a period of time where we alternated between two different games, but then one of them ended. I talked up Know Your Role (which I had initially bought as a joke and then found it was actually pretty interesting), and several members of the group expressed interest. I pre-rolled some characters, designed a better character sheet than the one in the book, printed out extra copies of the stuff I thought it would be useful for everyone to have, and helped people make characters. Then I had them do a couple of exhibition matches (with me there to interpret rules and work through the kinks with them) and do a little roleplaying of their characters. Everyone went super over the top and didn't take it too seriously, so it was pretty funny and a lot of fun...

...except one guy refused to even try it. While the rest of us were playing, he just parked on the Xbox and ignored us, refusing multiple invitations to give it a try. We ended up abandoning it and playing something else because we didn't want him to stop showing up to game with us.

A couple years later, I put together another group with some other friends, including one guy from the previous group and a few others. Once again, I taught everyone how to play, helped them make characters, and ran an exhibition match, this time as a tag team match which I got to participate in.

And almost the same thing happened. One player, who had seemed to be enjoying it just as much as everyone else, reported afterward that he hated it and refused to play again. Unfortunately, he was the only one who could host the game, so we were out of luck.

So I've taught two groups how to play this game, had almost everyone love it, and then had to drop the game because of one stick-in-the-mud. And now the people I could've played the game with all have lives that are too busy to game, or schedules that can't be reconciled.

Faily
2016-03-21, 07:05 AM
1. Nobilis (never played it before, but damn this game is one of the coolest things I've read)
2. Scion (online game collapsed because of GM)
3. A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying Game (only barely played it in a play-by-post that died because of GM disappearance)
4. The Ravenloft-setting
5. Kult (my first rpg, and I've love to return to it after 10+ years from it)

Democratus
2016-03-21, 07:57 AM
1) Eclipse Phase (trans-humanism would be fascinating in an RPG)
2) Diaspora
3) Traveller (only had 1 session)

Lacco
2016-03-21, 09:11 AM
Are you asking about a system or a game?

System: AD&D - old editions (1e, 2e)

Games (this comes from my "I would love to GM this" since I never get to play anything):

Shadowrun 2050's
Riddle of Steel (I'd love to play it - I'm the "forever GM" guy)
Three Musketeer-like game (something like En Garde, but with more roleplaying)
Call of Cthulhu (purist playstyle)
Noir-styled detective game
Paranoia

Comet
2016-03-21, 09:24 AM
Specifically as a player:

Dungeon Crawl Classics
Apocalypse World
Pendragon
Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition
Burning Wheel
Trail of Cthulhu

As a GM:

Traveller
Blue Planet
Interface zero
Eclipse Phase
Basically anything sci-fi

hamlet
2016-03-21, 09:35 AM
Hmmm . . .

Never ever played? That would have to be Mouse Guard. It looks like fun.

Pendragon. Just so much interesting stuff in it. Or at least I could have mined it for an idea, done the same thing to another fantasy world and used D&D/AD&D for a system. Imagine a generational type campaign set in, for example, the Forgotten Realms!

And Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, either first or 2nd edition. I just don't like the new one based on a quick read through IMO.

Didn't play enough?

Arduin. I love the world setting and, despite the wild clunkiness of it, I really like the various systems. All of them. Shush. Stop judging me.

Mordar
2016-03-21, 11:13 AM
In any format
In Nomine

"Live" at the table
The Dark Heresy line
C'thulhu by Gaslight

Have played but want more/longer
Rolemaster Dark Space

Slipperychicken
2016-03-21, 12:46 PM
I played Pendragon already, but can I say I wish I played Pendragon again, but with people who were more familiar with Arthurian tales?

I read through a few recently, and I know I'd push for it if my group read like 5 tales each.

And I mean the shorter tales, the ones you could probably bang one out in a day if you wanted to. Not those paid-by-the-word epics where the author spends a page of text naming every individual knight who shows up to Arthur's court and detailing the backstories behind their handkerchiefs.

I think most RPGs benefit tremendously from knowing the source material. If we spent half as much time reading stories as we spend picking apart rules text or bickering about morality, we'd probably have a lot more fun.

Knaight
2016-03-21, 01:14 PM
I read through a few recently, and I know I'd push for it if my group read like 5 tales each.

And I mean the shorter tales, the ones you could probably bang one out in a day if you wanted to. Not those paid-by-the-word epics where the author spends a page of text naming every individual knight who shows up to Arthur's court and detailing the backstories behind their handkerchiefs.

I'm with you on that. Pendragon looks like a lot of fun, and I have the background knowledge to GM it; the whole of Le Morte d'Arthur alone would probably be enough material, and it's far from the extent of it. I'm just not sure the rest of the group has 5 tales between them.

Havelocke
2016-03-21, 01:17 PM
never played any of the Dark Heresy type games but those look fun and dark
Mechwarrior - I liked the tabletop game but never got to play the RPG.
7th sea - come on, its pirates!

ones that I played that I love to this day (but don't get to play)
Pendragon - people you need to try this classic
Spelljammer - fond memories of my high school gaming group trying blow up the Rock
Shadowrun - more hilarity ensued but with guns!
Gamma World - not this new version but the original one
Star Frontiers - great space opera in the making there
Star Wars - because everyone knows that universe and it is so easy to play in
Mekton - because giant mechs and anime...enough said
warhammer fantasy role-play (as a GM) or "how I can torture the party and drive they crazy without playing "call of cthulu"

Piedmon_Sama
2016-03-21, 01:19 PM
RIFTS.

Star Wars (any version really....)

A D20 Future campaign (I've planned many but my friends were always like "we're not interested in scifi!")

Call of Cthulhu (again, friends vetoed it out of hand---some of my players just HATE the idea of sanity checks and horror gaming in general).

e: forgot one---Mutants & Masterminds. Again, friends just weren't interested in the idea of a superhero RPG :(

oxybe
2016-03-21, 03:04 PM
always wanted to play but couldn't? Anything not D&D/pathfinder.

in a less sarcastic tone...

always wanted to play but couldn't? Shadowrun. I've got the book, and there is some interest there... but with only one book beween ~6 players, good luck getting any character building done.

wanted to play more of but never any interest? GURPS. like shadowrun, I'm the only person in my group with GURPS books and it scares the rest of the group... the core concept is simple, it just needs a GM who's far more organized then me to run it.

GrayDeath
2016-03-21, 03:07 PM
Exalted and Feng Shui, mostly.

What's more irritating is I could probably convince folks to do Feng Shui, but for Exalted, it's got a rep...and my beloved Lunars won't be in 3e for like 3-5 years.

Play Second. Cheaper, everything is there, and it works as long as all playing have a similar grip on the system. ;)

For me:

Cthulhutech
Spelljammer
Eclipse Phase

nyjastul69
2016-03-21, 03:10 PM
Mouseguard
Shadowrun

I'd also like to play more Star Wars and Aces & Eights than I have.

Mordar
2016-03-21, 03:12 PM
always wanted to play but couldn't? Shadowrun. I've got the book, and there is some interest there... but with only one book beween ~6 players, good luck getting any character building done.

Play a story with the base archetypes just to see if it inspires more people to want to buy the book!

[They do still have base archetypes in SR, right...?]

2D8HP
2016-03-21, 04:43 PM
Are you asking about a system or a game?

System: AD&D - old editions (1e, 2e)

Games (this comes from my "I would love to GM this" since I never get to play anything):

Shadowrun 2050's
Riddle of Steel (I'd love to play it - I'm the "forever GM" guy)
Three Musketeer-like game (something like En Garde, but with more roleplaying)
Call of Cthulhu (purist playstyle)
Noir-styled detective game
Paranoia

I recemtly picked up from my local gameshop the "Flashing Blades" RPG rules and also a few scenarios/adventures books. They were published by Fantasy Games Unlimited in the mid 1980's and they look pretty good.

Also GURPS had a "Swashbuckler" book that was a great read, though I am not a fan of GURPS character creation (just....takes....too.....long....)

If I was going to GM it I would probably mix in either "Holmes" D&D or Call of Cthullu/Runequest/BRP rules just because that's what I am most familiar with, but I mostly buy RPG's for setting/scenarios ideas now anyway, because at my age I no longer look for "systems" (I just can't really remember post 1980's rules, after I put the books down anymore!). But with a good (or simple!) enough system maybe I could remember it!

2D8HP
2016-03-21, 04:52 PM
Call of Cthulhu (again, friends vetoed it out of hand---some of my players just HATE the idea of sanity checks and horror gaming in general).
:(
It's been many years but I remember C.O.C. being one of the easiest to gamemaster or "Keeper"

comicshorse
2016-03-21, 05:01 PM
Feng Shui and Dark Heresy

Mordar
2016-03-21, 05:06 PM
It's been many years but I remember C.O.C. being one of the easiest to gamemaster or "Keeper"

Easy to run...hard to run well, IMO. It generally needs to be played as a mystery game and those can be tough for a lot of people to do well, especially if they are used to slugfest or dungeon raid games.

Also very important to get everyone on track with expectations (and no, I don't mean "Call is the game where all of your characters will be dead or crazy by session 3 so make 17hundred extra..." hooey :smallwink:).

- M

2D8HP
2016-03-21, 05:07 PM
Hmmm . . .

Never ever played? That would have to be Mouse Guard. It looks like fun.

Pendragon. Just so much interesting stuff in it. Or at least I could have mined it for an idea, done the same thing to another fantasy world and used D&D/AD&D for a system. Imagine a generational type campaign set in, for example, the Forgotten Realms!

And Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, either first or 2nd edition. I just don't like the new one based on a quick read through IMO.

Didn't play enough?

Arduin. I love the world setting and, despite the wild clunkiness of it, I really like the various systems. All of them. Shush. Stop judging me.
The first RPG I ran (Dungeon Mastered) was Holmes "blue book" D&D (for my little brother).
The first I got to be a player of was run by a classmates older brother using the LBB's D&D, Chaosium's "All the World's Monsters", the AD&D "Monster Manual" (the DMG was not out yet, and I don't remember if the PHB was out, but we didn't use it), and the Arduin "Grimoire's". We latter played many other games, but few more fun!

Knaight
2016-03-21, 09:47 PM
This is far from a comprehensive list, and some have seen a small amount of playtime, but:
As a player:
Burning Wheel
Mouseguard
REIGN
Legends of the Wulin
Shock: Social Science Fiction (though technically everyone is both a player and a situational GM)
Fiasco
EDIT: Seventh Sea.

As a GM:
REIGN
Warbirds
Remnants
Pendragon
Apocalypse World (and some offshoots)
Qin: The Warring States

Lacco
2016-03-22, 06:03 AM
I recemtly picked up from my local gameshop the "Flashing Blades" RPG rules and also a few scenarios/adventures books. They were published by Fantasy Games Unlimited in the mid 1980's and they look pretty good.

Also GURPS had a "Swashbuckler" book that was a great read, though I am not a fan of GURPS character creation (just....takes....too.....long....)

If I was going to GM it I would probably mix in either "Holmes" D&D or Call of Cthullu/Runequest/BRP rules just because that's what I am most familiar with, but I mostly buy RPG's for setting/scenarios ideas now anyway, because at my age I no longer look for "systems" (I just can't really remember post 1980's rules, after I put the books down anymore!). But with a good (or simple!) enough system maybe I could remember it!

I have the Flashing Blades - and while I love the fluff & information provided, I'm quite impartial about the rules. Can't really decide whether I would like to run it or not.

I was already thinking about slightly modifying RoS for the Musketeer era, and starting the players as newcomers to Paris.

As to other posts - seems that quite a lot of people want to play Shadowrun... is it "wished to play more" or "wished to play at all"?

EDIT: I forgot about Traveller...it's my long-term wish to play it with a GM who will make me run through corridors just to reach the part of ship that is damaged (or pilot chair, or anything...) :smallbiggrin:

hamlet
2016-03-22, 09:29 AM
The first RPG I ran (Dungeon Mastered) was Holmes "blue book" D&D (for my little brother).
The first I got to be a player of was run by a classmates older brother using the LBB's D&D, Chaosium's "All the World's Monsters", the AD&D "Monster Manual" (the DMG was not out yet, and I don't remember if the PHB was out, but we didn't use it), and the Arduin "Grimoire's". We latter played many other games, but few more fun!

My favorite Arduin campaign involved the best setup EVER.

Essentially, the group were members of a biker club that, along with a Texaco station and all their was on premises, were gated into the Arduin world, or some corner of it. We set up a little kingdom of our own, pushing out a few little folks who were causing trouble and were generally well liked.

Until The Empire showed up. You know, THE Empire. The one with Tie Fighters? A lone Star Destroyer managed to get itself transported to Arduin not too far away from us and then we had to go toe to toe with them.

Ludicrously fun, but most folks nowadays would go crosseyed.

Lord Torath
2016-03-22, 10:11 AM
As to other posts - seems that quite a lot of people want to play Shadowrun... is it "wished to play more" or "wished to play at all"?Probably a bit of both. I played it a while back in the early 90s, but my system mastery was pretty poor. I could make a much more effective character now (My first rigger had three-quarters-of-a-million nuyen tied up in her personal vehicle at character creation, and her only non-flying drone was a Gaz-Nikki Snoop; the rest were fixed-wing aircraft drones), and play much more effectively (better recon, more social skills, etc). I'd love a chance to go back and do it again.

Raimun
2016-03-22, 10:33 AM
Let's see...

1) Pendragon. I've heard people tell tales of Pendragon-game sessions and I really want to try it out.
2) Pathfinder, spesifically Kingmaker, or other kingdom/realm building rpg.
3) Mutants and Masterminds or any good superhero rpg.
4) A Warhammer 40,000 game that blends in all the books where players fight for the imperium. Everyone plays one of the key figures of a joint imperial fighting force that is tasked to invade or (re-)conquer some planet. With most, if not all of them, leading the operations of one imperial branch. Basically a military campaign with lots of intrigue.
5) Cthulhutech? Why not. I'd like to punch those tentacled bugs with a mecha.
6) More Feng Shui, set on modern era.
7) More Iron Kingdoms.
8) Some Star Wars rpg. I want a lightsaber.

Emmerlaus
2016-03-22, 08:01 PM
Shadowrun 4th edition...

I hate the priotization system they brought back. I liked to make the character expremely customizable. Now, it just feel like the same thing whatever you do.

Âmesang
2016-03-22, 08:33 PM
Based on what I've got, that would be AD&D (1st or 2nd Edition), STAR WARS® Saga Edition… and a friend got me a manga/anime inspired game called Big Eyes Small Mouth. I've skimmed through it, but I doubt I'd get anyone else to play it.

…then again members of my last group were convinced to play some sort of maid-based game, so who knows? :smalltongue:

Bohandas
2016-03-23, 12:34 AM
-Toon
-Paranoia

Lacco
2016-03-29, 10:30 AM
Probably a bit of both. I played it a while back in the early 90s, but my system mastery was pretty poor. I could make a much more effective character now (My first rigger had three-quarters-of-a-million nuyen tied up in her personal vehicle at character creation, and her only non-flying drone was a Gaz-Nikki Snoop; the rest were fixed-wing aircraft drones), and play much more effectively (better recon, more social skills, etc). I'd love a chance to go back and do it again.

I was mostly asking because I am still thinking about trying the Shadowrun via PbP... my last attempt crashed due to RL barging in.

However, no idea if I have enough time to do it, my current game is keeping me a bit busy (it's running for 23 days and still alive, that's my record here...:smallredface:).

That goes for all the entries on my list - the musketeers and Traveller especially.

...as for the PCs in Shadowrun, my favourite is face/fixer with sleep regulator and adept sustenance. His motto: No rest for the wicked. Aaaah, I loved the guy.