PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Whelp...it was bound to happen sometime...

DracoKnight
2016-03-22, 10:10 PM
I went to roll up a new character (4d6, drop the lowest), and I got absolute sh!t rolls...please help? I don't care what class/race the character is, the DM I'm going to be playing with is the GREATEST DM I've ever seen. He's a master storyteller with years of improv under his belt; like I said, I don't care what the class/race is, I just want to play in his game. One thing: he said that Stealth will be important to the campaign.

Here's what you have to play with:
13/10/8/6/16/9

GO!

Zman
2016-03-22, 10:13 PM
I went to roll up a new character (4d6, drop the lowest), and I got absolute sh!t rolls...please help? I don't care what class/race the character is, the DM I'm going to be playing with is the GREATEST DM I've ever seen. He's a master storyteller with years of improv under his belt; like I said, I don't care what the class/race is, I just want to play in his game. One thing: he said that Stealth will be important to the campaign.

13/10/8/6/16/9

GO!

Those aren't that ****ty, a 16 is beyond what is assumed you could start with. Play a Gnome Wizard, start with an 18 Int, then Dex, then Con. You'll be just fine.

Finieous
2016-03-22, 10:17 PM
Hill Dwarf Moon Druid, Wis 17, Con 15. Bump to 18/16 at 4th level. Soak all the damage.

DracoKnight
2016-03-22, 10:21 PM
13/10/8/6/16/9

I just got a message from the DM...he said that he's putting a -2 on everyone's stats...apparently some of the players rolled absolute god stats.

So the actual spread I have to work with is:
11/8/6/4/14/7

Zman
2016-03-22, 10:23 PM
I just got a message from the DM...he said that he's putting a -2 on everyone's stats...apparently some of the players rolled absolute god stats.

11/8/6/4/14/7

Go Moon Druid with terrible physical stats. Won't matter in Wild Shape.

PS This is why I don't use rolled stats.

Finieous
2016-03-22, 10:24 PM

11/8/6/4/14/7

Still Hill Dwarf Moon Druid. Also, how many DMs have you actually seen?

Sigreid
2016-03-22, 10:25 PM
I think those are pretty decent rolls. Would make a fine anything really. Sorry I'm not much help but what do you like to play?

DracoKnight
2016-03-22, 10:26 PM
Also, how many DMs have you actually seen?

I have gamed with 8 or 9 DMs.

Okay, so Moon Druid seems to be the way to go. Alrighty then.

EDIT: to my first point; admittedly this is the first time that a DM has put a negative to player stats. But he's going for a lower powered game, and some people rolled really well apparently. Eh, it's whatever; he's a good storyteller.

DracoKnight
2016-03-22, 10:29 PM
I think those are pretty decent rolls. Would make a fine anything really. Sorry I'm not much help but what do you like to play?

I like stealthy charismatic characters, or playing DPR builds.

Gtdead
2016-03-22, 10:30 PM
With that WIS I'd go for a cleric/rogue mc. If stealth is that important, trickster can give you guidance, advantage on stealth checks, and bless so you can be useful in combat (cause with those physical stats you won't be able to do much). You also can focus on perception/insight/survival to take advantage of that WIS.

Your strength is probably going to be wasted unless you can convice your DM to let you use sneak attack with thrown weapons. But I'm thinking that it's better to ignore it all together and boost dex.

I'd go with variant human or wood elf for this.

Edit: Didn't see the part about the -2 penalty. This complicates things. Moon druid seems like the better idea..

Finieous
2016-03-22, 10:31 PM
I have gamed with 8 or 9 DMs.

Okay, just would have expected "greatest DM ever with years of improv," having allowed rolled stats, to be able to roll with the results as well. The -2 adjustment across the board, regardless of actual rolls is just... Anyway, not how I'd start my campaign, but it's clear you have a lot of trust and confidence in him, so that's a good thing.

Zman
2016-03-22, 10:32 PM
Okay, just would have expected "greatest DM ever with years of improv," having allowed rolled stats, to be able to roll with the results as well. The -2 adjustment across the board, regardless of actual rolls is just... Anyway, not how I'd start my campaign, but it's clear you have a lot of trust and confidence in him, so that's a good thing.

Haha, right?!

PeteNutButter
2016-03-22, 10:33 PM
Rogue. You only need one stat, dex. It's as SAD as you get. You have a 16 or now a 14 and you need to stealth... Sounds like a rogue.

Alejandro
2016-03-22, 10:34 PM

Seconded :) Greatest DM ever should know better than to use rolled stats, or, if that is your groups thing, to be able to handle it when someone has high attributes because of it, rather than nerfing someone who rolled low in some misguided 'fairness' attempt that isn't. That's just dumb.

DracoKnight
2016-03-22, 10:36 PM

Haha, right?!

It's a minor annoyance, but I am willing enough to see where he goes with this.

Sigreid
2016-03-22, 10:37 PM
I like stealthy charismatic characters, or playing DPR builds.

If you make a half orc or dragonborn rogue or bard with a Str of 8. Put your highest in Dex or Cha and I think you're set.

RickAllison
2016-03-22, 11:02 PM
You should probably approach him about if your stats are sufficiently low already that you don't need a reduction. He might just agree with you and it would give you a little more flexibility.

As for an actual build, Deep Gnome Abjuration Wizard, with Svirnefblin Magic. Grab the Hillsfar Smuggler background to get Stealth and Perception as well as sneaking into cities through the feature. At that point, you have a free and effective way to recharge your Arcane Ward (if a little cheesy), but it makes up for the lower stats. Be prepared to use spells to augment your lackluster Dexterity for Stealth.

Lawful Good
2016-03-22, 11:12 PM

11/8/6/4/14/7

Introducing Mraw, the human rogue. While he is dexterous in his job, he is completely incompetent at everything else he tries. With a charisma of 4, he is now on the watch list of all six countries he's visited and on the watch list of several others he hasn't. His whole story is about trying to figure out what he's good at (because EVERYONE is good at something, right? RIGHT?), but he eventually figures out (takes a while, he's dumber than a kobold) that he is in fact incompetent and that his whole life is just a cosmic joke by a mysterious deity known only as "The Lord of the Dice".

MaxWilson
2016-03-22, 11:15 PM
I went to roll up a new character (4d6, drop the lowest), and I got absolute [bad] rolls...please help? I don't care what class/race the character is, the DM I'm going to be playing with is the GREATEST DM I've ever seen. He's a master storyteller with years of improv under his belt; like I said, I don't care what the class/race is, I just want to play in his game. One thing: he said that Stealth will be important to the campaign.

13/10/8/6/16/9

GO!

I didn't see that 16 at first, so I thought, "13, 10, 8, 6, 6, 9... sounds like a Moon Druid." Human, Str 6 Dex 10 Con 10 Int 8 Wis 14 Cha 6, Mobile or Sentinel (to taste) is a pretty good start. I'd play that PC--I have before, except for the low Int.

But with a 16 those rolls actually turn out to be pretty good. Sharpshooter Eldritch Knight/Swashbuckler probably is what I'd make, unless I felt like making a Moon Druid anyway: Str 9 Dex 17 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 8 Cha 6 Sharpshooter Fighter or Str 6 Dex 10 Con 17 Int 8 Wis 14 Cha 9 Mobile Moon Druid.

Edit: oh, you have -2 to everything now? Ixnay on the Sharpshooter then (you still could anyway, but I don't want to). Moon Druid then, or Sorlock.

Ewhit
2016-03-22, 11:20 PM
I agree ask your DM about ur stats being low already. Either way u using all books or just phb. I think the best thing for you is to go Dex based fighter initiative ac abd damage Demi human maybe elf halfling gnome up to you for a fun concept
Yiu get feasts ability bonus faster. 4/6/8. Background get with stealth

Reaper34
2016-03-22, 11:26 PM
have fun with it. go half orc barbarian that got tossed out for being too wimpy. quest to prove them all wrong. 8/14/11/4/6/7. maybe swap the dex and con.

for extra spice he was adopted by wood elves and thinks he's an elf.

a good dm will take care of you. things won't be easy but you can slog through it trying to have fun. have fun and maybe die (possibably epicly) or you could go for getting yourself killed eairly on and make another character.

Belac93
2016-03-22, 11:58 PM
Hill Dwarf Necromancer wizard, STR 8, CON 16, DEX 6, INT 11, WIS 8, CHA 4.

Use buffs and the heaviest armor you can find, focus on buffing and utility. Once you get to level 5, get a ton of skeletons and zombies. Wights when you can. You'll have decent hp for a wizard (8/level), and also good AC.

Alternatively, go abjuration. You'll have worse undead, but more survivability.

MeeposFire
2016-03-23, 12:17 AM
Another option is a hill dwarf nature cleric. Odd sounding but it works well. You only need wisdom to work and then con as a secondary. With so few stats needed you could take magic initiate at some point to gain the weapon cantrips which works great with clerics if you need more power at will.

Also long term a fighter will gain enough ASI to make up for poor stats. Kind of a "harder " mode though.

ruy343
2016-03-24, 09:53 AM
What you need is heavy armor - that way you can ignore your Dex score but still be viable in combat. I'd consider a mountain dwarf Battlemaster or Champion with dumped Dex (that's right, put that terrible score right there) and a decent Con. The +2 to strength from your racial bonuses will make you a very damaging fellow indeed. For the sake of survivability at low levels, use heavy armor (so that your Dex detriment doesn't get added to your AC) and a shield. When you get the chance, grab the Heavy Armor Master feat, allowing you to soak up even more damage.

In other words, make a tank.

Sir cryosin
2016-03-24, 10:46 AM

11/8/6/4/14/7

I say go rogue assassin and try and pick a race with +2 Dex I would all so ask if you don't have to take the -2 to stats if your DM is as good of a dm you say he should work with you. But what everyone has been saying a moon druid works to. Or a archer fighter

Citan
2016-03-24, 11:12 AM

13/10/8/6/16/9

GO!
Hi!

I'd say Rogue Arcane Trickster is the easiest by far.
STR 10 / DEX 16 / CON 13 / INT 8 / WIS 9 / CHA 6.

Pretty justifiable too. :)

"You were born in a low-society family, poor enough that you never god quite enough to eat and get proper development.
Moreover, your looks have been bad enough that people tend to naturally reject you. Since your weren't the brightest of your age, and usually picked upon as the weakest of the children, you abandoned any hope of attaining an education level high enough to find your place in the open society.

As such, you have been forced to embrace a pickpocket carreer from your youngest age, soon pushing into the higher spheres of thievery, with larceny, racket and a few unavoidable murders."

As for mechanics, you'll still be pretty decent as a ranged Rogue, you can even grab Sharpshooter later. Trickster will bring you many defensive abilities to help avoid damage if you go into melee (Mirror Image), facilitate escaping/hiding (Invisibility) and dealing extra damage (Haste).
Or bump CON and WIS then grab Warcaster and go spam GFB on your attacks and BB on reaction. ;)

Seems really cut out for you and totally viable. :)

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-24, 11:17 AM
13/10/8/6/16/9
+1 / 0 / -1 / -2 / +3 / -1 = Total bonus is 0.

DN subtracts 2 from this is sorta harsh. You are already well below average in aggregate with one ray of sunshine. (On the other hand, playing with characters who have a lot of weaknesses can create some really neat adventures since you have to rely on each other so much).

The place I'd be concerned is how this influences saving throws, which is tied to stats now.

Are you allowed to arrange those stats in any order, or is that the order you have been given for S/D/D/I/W/Ch?

Assuming mix and match:
Before losing 2 to each roll ... Half Elf Sorcerer (Draconic bloodline)

S 6
D 10 (9+1)
C 14 (13+1)
I 8
W 10
Ch 18 (16+2)

He'll have enough beginning armor as a sorcerer. You could put the 14 in Dex, but this whole idea is a bit more of the archetype spell caster.

You could instead pop the 14 into dex and make a bard who is a bit short on hit points. Story for the bard: you are a weakling who has spent a lot of his life talking himself out of the trouble his lack of wits and modest common sense gets him into.

After losing 2 to each roll (IMO the Moon Druid is the better idea)

11/8/6/4/14/7
Life cleric Hill Dwarf
S 14
D 6
C 10 (8+2)
I 7
W 12 (11+1)
Ch 4

An alcoholic (low will power, charisma 4??) and the 14 str for hearvy armor later (initially chain mail) an upgrade to plate. While your dwarf won't be the greatest healer -- any Wisdom bonus is delayed and DC's initially low, you could concentrate on buffs for the party and expending just in time heals to keep people from dying in combat. You'll be OK until a dex saving throw is needed. Then, it's likely another failed saving throw. Your poison resistance should stand you in good stead at low levels.

With three scored under 8, this seems a needless penalty to your character and the DM ought to ease up on the -2 requirement.

Anonymouswizard
2016-03-24, 11:37 AM

11/8/6/4/14/7

Ouch, I don't think that array is truly viable, especially if several of the others have god stats.

Were these stats rolled in private? If so I suggest you talk to your DM and ask him to change it so that everybody rolls stats out in the open where everybody can see them. If he saw them then you should either ask to not get the -2 (at which point your stats are decent enough but not great) and go for a SAD character, or try to get a reroll. Although a character with a lot of weaknesses can be fun, if your highest stat is a 14 and other players are running around with 18s-20s then it should be your choice.

Alternatively, ask if you can substitute the standard array instead. It'll give you a character who can run with the gods as long as you don't try to directly compete. If he thinks the standard array is too powerful for his game it's still okay with a -1 across the board (in essence this means that you aren't limited to SAD characters).

I personally don't consider a character viable without at least 2 scores above 11 (ideally one above 13 as well), so I'm really not sure how to handle such stats. I'm not sure why he used rolling ability scores if he wanted a low-stats game, especially on 4d6b3, as this very definitely risks both the god array and the poor array issues (apparently trying to solve one has now caused the other to crop up). Also, low power =/= low stats, if I wanted to run low power I'd just start at level 1 and make it so the PCs never really got to a level equal to their opposition.

tieren
2016-03-24, 11:47 AM
No way should you be made to play with both a 6 and a 4 in two abilities, unless its some kind of special olympics one off, that is not reasonable. Walk into a firepit and reroll.

Citan
2016-03-24, 11:49 AM

11/8/6/4/14/7
Woah... ooookay ?

As others, I'm quite puzzled that the DM's solution to answer one player's exceptionally good roll by DIMINISHING EVERYONE's ALL STATS by 2!!!

Wouldn't have it been much better for everyone to dump only this player's stat, or give a bump to everyone else?
Anyways...

My build suggestion holds, but as other says, I'd really ask the DM to lift this global stat dumping as far as you're concerned. Unless it so happens that in fact all players in your party have as bad stats as you. ^^
Or ask him to allow, as a compensation, a set of conditions to enable to gain temporary benefits.

Quick idea: as a good part of your family's and personal hardships were not "destiny" or "dumb luck" but events geared from hatred by a particular noble family, you hate them and all their relations from your guts. Instead of letting the hate drive you mad, you used it to focus and learn everything there is about them, so you can destroy them. Definitively.
>>> You can instantly identify any people that is (closely or loosely) related to this family, and can easily impersonate a relative. Also, when facing the "core members" of this family, your hate empowers you with extrahuman focus: you get advantage on everything you do against them.

Another quick idea: your fragile constitution and lack of wits drove you to develop a true sense of cowardice.
As such, you will strive to avoid any dangerous situation. Moreover, you're particularly frightened of some creatures. This fright can grow to such an intensity that you lose all conscience and instead grow a fiery rage, as a trapped animal which realizes that fighting is the only way to get a slight chance of survival.
>>> When starting a fight in enclosed rooms against a particular kind of enemy, roll a dice against a fixed DC (ex: 12) at the start of each of your turn. If you roll under, you become blindly raged: you can only attack, and only this kind of enemy, but you deal maximum damage on a hit.
At start, the DC is bumped by one for each enemy of this kind present. The DC is also bumped by one each subsequent turn (because the fight is taking too much time to your taste so your panic intensifies).
You can roll once to stop the effect each time you kill an enemy. It also ends automatically once there is no more hostile creature in sight.

Well, things like those (it obviously requires DM's complicity to work ;)).

Douche
2016-03-24, 02:19 PM
Be a half orc warlock. Minimum optimization. Get killed on the first session. Roll new stats. Keep doing so each session until you have 18s across the board.

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-24, 02:21 PM
Be a half orc warlock. Minimum optimization. Get killed on the first session. Roll new stats. Keep doing so each session until you have 18s across the board. Actually, 16's across the board, given that the DM subtracts 2 from all rolls ... :smallwink:

(At some point, would not the kamikaze play style get a little old, or is the idea to find new and unusual ways to die a horrible death with each character?)

mephnick
2016-03-24, 02:25 PM
Being a good storyteller is like...fifth on the list of things that make a good DM, so I hope he's really good at it if he's throwing around stuff like this.

Serket
2016-03-24, 02:28 PM
Rogue. You only need one stat, dex. It's as SAD as you get. You have a 16 or now a 14 and you need to stealth... Sounds like a rogue.

Seconded. (Wood) Elf or halfling, there you go you're back at 16.

Though the druid plan also seems solid.

Theodoxus
2016-03-24, 03:12 PM
Most of me is the with 'throw the toon away and reroll' crowd. If that's not an option (as I presume, given you haven't mentioned it, nor done it) - then I'd play to your personal strengths. You like charismatic characters? Go Half-elf paladin, with a 16 Cha, you're pretty darn good at talking your way out of conflict. Half-elf gives you 6 skills to play with - Paladin already gets you decent Cha skill choices - a background gives you others and shore up deficiencies with the HElf bonus skills.

You're the Warden, the Face, the Team Lead - you make others do what they need to to make the party succeed. Don't worry about feats or combat ability. Boost your CHA at 4th and 8th, take on the role of combat medic and make everyone better. Low Wis and Int? Fine, you're not rolling knowledges anyway and yeah, being nearsighted and easily conned is bad, but that's what your friends are for - to keep you out of trouble!

Is it worth it? Probably not... but at least you're not rogue/druid #3498034.

Douche
2016-03-24, 03:46 PM
Actually, 16's across the board, given that the DM subtracts 2 from all rolls ... :smallwink:

(At some point, would not the kamikaze play style get a little old, or is the idea to find new and unusual ways to die a horrible death with each character?)

Yeah I know, but if I said 16's across the board then you would've chimed in with "ACTUALLY, it would be 14's across the board cuz nenenenene"

The idea is to get fair stats when everyone else apparently rolled so good that the DM decided to nerf everyone, without making an exception for OP who is also victim to the sweeping nerf when he rolled crap except for one roll (which wasn't even an 18) and sticking him with a 3 negative modifier stats. So no matter how you distribute those stats, you have to roleplay as a burn victim/lead poisoned/mom stood in front of the microwave/elephant man/no central nervous system

Doesn't the PHB say something about being able to take standard array whenever? Like if your DM decides to roll for stats, you can opt to take the standard array anyway.

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-24, 04:06 PM
Doesn't the PHB say something about being able to take standard array whenever? Like if your DM decides to roll for stats, you can opt to take the standard array anyway.
In order, the rules present it like this: (with some extraneous stuff edited out for brevity)

You generate your character’s six ability scores randomly. Roll four 6-sided dice and record the total of the highest three dice on a piece of scratch paper. Do this five more times, so that you have six numbers.
If you want to save time or don’t like the idea of randomly determining ability scores, you can use the following scores instead: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.
At your Dungeon Master’s option, you can use this variant for determining your ability scores. The method described here allows you to build a character with a set of ability scores you choose individually. You have 27 points to spend on your ability scores. The cost of each score is shown on the Ability Score Point Cost table. For example, a score of 14 costs 7 points. Using this method, 15 is the highest ability score you can end up with, before applying racial increases. You can’t have a score lower than 8.

The default is rolling. Standard array is an option if you don't want to roll ... but like anything, that's up to the DM. It doesn't say "if you don't like what you rolled you can take the standard array" but that too is up to the DM.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-24, 04:15 PM
This reminds me of one part of 3rd edition I wish they ported over to 5e. It also used 4d6b3, but allowed you to reroll your stats if they were too low. If none of your ability scores were over 13, or if the sum of their modifiers was less than +3, you could reroll until you got an array that met the requirements. That meant you'd wind up with an array that's playable, even if just barely. In your case, the sum of modifiers is +0, which would warrant a reroll.

The broad, heavy-handed fix your DM applied is the mark of a novice. Before a DM decides on a method of stat generation, he should first understand the possible consequences and come to terms with them. Random stat generation frequently results in disparity of power levels between PCs, and it also can result in PCs more or less powerful than the DM would like them to be.

It looks like you guys rolled stats in private, which is also a rookie mistake that can encourage fraud and accusations thereof: If you do roll for stats, then at the very least do so with the DM as witness, if not the entire gaming group. I also recommend that players use the DM's dice for it, but that is usually not necessary. When I'm expected to roll stats an the DM is not present, I usually ask the DM to roll for me.

Christian
2016-03-24, 06:23 PM
What you need is heavy armor - that way you can ignore your Dex score but still be viable in combat. I'd consider a mountain dwarf Battlemaster or Champion with dumped Dex (that's right, put that terrible score right there) and a decent Con. The +2 to strength from your racial bonuses will make you a very damaging fellow indeed. For the sake of survivability at low levels, use heavy armor (so that your Dex detriment doesn't get added to your AC) and a shield. When you get the chance, grab the Heavy Armor Master feat, allowing you to soak up even more damage.

In other words, make a tank.

That's brilliant. I was going to suggest putting the 4 in Con and playing a wizard or sorcerer. With 3 starting hit points and no armor, you'd be bound to die quickly and get to roll up a new character.

But playing a tank with no dexterity in a game where you've been told stealth would be important, you've got a great chance to bring the whole party down with you, and make everybody roll new characters. Make sure not to have skill proficiency in Dexterity (Stealth), and bonus points if you can arrange for tool proficiency with musical instrument (drums).

RickAllison
2016-03-24, 06:36 PM
How about a cleric who spends his sneaking time muttering, "Don't alert the guards, don't alert the guards, don't alert the guards," as he constantly asks his deity for guidance. Pick a domain that gives heavy armor, focus on buffs.

EvilAnagram
2016-03-24, 06:38 PM
Whelp, your stats are garbage, and you like charismatic types, so there's only one thing to do.

Play a Half-Elf with Cerebral Palsy who is an absolutely phenomenal musician.

Put your weakest stats in physical, add a +1 to the odd stats. Enjoy.

Theodoxus
2016-03-24, 07:08 PM
That's brilliant. I was going to suggest putting the 4 in Con and playing a wizard or sorcerer. With 3 starting hit points and no armor, you'd be bound to die quickly and get to roll up a new character.

But playing a tank with no dexterity in a game where you've been told stealth would be important, you've got a great chance to bring the whole party down with you, and make everybody roll new characters. Make sure not to have skill proficiency in Dexterity (Stealth), and bonus points if you can arrange for tool proficiency with musical instrument (drums).

That's not necessarily true... group checks are a thing... if everyone else is trained in stealth, just 50% need to pass the check with the clanky-tank in tow and they all pass. I love group checks.