PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [5e] monk Archetype: Kensai

AmbientRaven
2016-03-22, 11:19 PM
Hi Folks,

Steadily working through adding a new archetype for every class, and thought I would share my monk one. This is a bit of a rough first version, as the wording needs cleaning up, as I only had an hour break at uni and had a stroke of inspiration while eating lunch and talking to a friend about his Japanese history essay.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJx0BZwe

Feedback would be great :)

Aldreck
2016-03-24, 06:59 PM
Don't 5e monks already have proficiency with shortswords and treat them as monk weapons? Putting them in Extra Proficiencies seems a bit redundant.

EDIT: I'd also add 'At the start of every combat encounter...' or something similar to Slashing Defense, because at the moment, it reads like you get it once when you level up, and once it's gone it's lost forever.

JBPuffin
2016-03-24, 07:53 PM
Don't 5e monks already have proficiency with shortswords and treat them as monk weapons? Putting them in Extra Proficiencies seems a bit redundant.

Aldreck's right - take that part out for the sake of anti-redundancy.

Alerad
2016-03-26, 02:52 AM
A couple of remarks:

Proficiency with shortswords is not needed. Also, I don't think proficiency with rapiers fits the concept.

Weapon bond - when you make an attack which uses your martial arts damage die you can make the attack with your weapon instead. Doing so changes the damage type, but not the damage die.

I think this is the intended meaning, but it was a little bit unclear.

Ki Blade - none of the abilities (except
Two talons Pierce) requires more than 1 Ki point, the restriction is unnecessary.

Two talons Pierce - punishing the player for scoring a critical doesn't seem right. The price should be the same.

Watch not the tail - the description is unclear, I'm not sure what it does.

Strike of the Cobra - the description is clear, but the mechanics not. If I strike an opponent with a heavy armor who has 8 Dexterity does the opponent have 9 AC or 10 AC? If she's wearing medium armor, is the Dexterity bonus capped at +2? On a side note, no ability completely ignores the armor, so maybe remove it. Or change it to Dexterity saving throw?

Slashing defence - this should recharge at some point, right? Maybe limit it to Wis uses per long rest, and let it require a bonus action to activate, or let it cost 1 Ki and a bonus action.

Sword Soul - this should be rolled at advantage against AC of the enemy where armor is ignored, and it will do 48 + Dex (+Weapon ??) damage (maximized) on a hit which ignores resistance. The description is unclear - can I choose which limb (or head) to target? It seems strong even for a capstone ability.

All in all, you should rework the descriptions more because they leave a lot of room for wrong interpretation.

Alerad
2016-03-26, 02:57 AM
Also, your site is great! Formatting using markdown is a great idea, and super easy to do. I think I'm gonna use it a lot :smallbiggrin: