PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Lalana

Fax Celestis
2007-06-20, 04:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/WoodSpider_by_dark_stardragon.jpg

Personality: Lalana are generally soft-spoken and do not tend towards leadership roles. However, they are perceptive and studious. They are enthralled with learning about new and interesting things.

Physical Description: Appearing as anthropomorphic spiders, lalana are an evolutionary step upwards from monstrous spiders. This tends to make certain kinds of humanoid squeamish, but the lalana generally don't notice. They're perceptive and nimble, but are soft-spoken.

Alignment: Lalana tend towards neutrality, when it comes to law and chaos. They have a loose society, based mostly around family, but understand the need for overarching law. Individual lalana can range between the most holy and the most vile, however.

Lands: Lalana claim territory in large, cavernous spaces underground. They generally prefer to live in enclosed spaces, but do not mind it outside.

==Player Characters==
+2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Cha
20' land speed, 20' Climb speed. Lalana also enjoy a +8 racial bonus to climb checks and do not lose their Dexterity bonus to armor class while climbing. They can also use the run action while climbing.
Medium size
Darkvision to 60'
Natural Attack: A lalana has a bite attack that deals 1d6 damage. Upon a bite attack, a lalana can inject a potent venom. This has a Fortitude save DC of 11 + Con mod, and has an initial and secondary damage of 1d3 Dexterity damage. This is usable three times per day.
Eight Eyes: Lalana have eight eyes and enjoy a +4 bonus to Spot checks.
Four Arms: Lalana have four arms, and thus can take the Multiweapons Fighting feat instead of the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. Lalana do not qualify for the Multiattack feat without additional natural attacks.
Four Legs: Lalana have four legs, and as such gain a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground or climbing (but not when flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground or grasping a surface). As quadrupedal creatures, a lalana's weight limits are multiplied by 1.5.
Racial Hit Dice: Lalana start with two vermin HD and are therefore considered 2nd level characters. This gives them 2d8 HP, base saves of Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +0, a base attack bonus of +1, and 5x(2+Int) skill points. Their class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot. Unlike most vermin, Lalana are not mindless
Speak With Vermin: Lalana are constantly able to communicate with vermin, as the speak with animals spell but for vermin-only.
Web: Lalana can create an effect similar to a web spell once per day, though it is entirely nonmagical. Treat the lalana's caster level as 1/4 its HD (minimum 1) when determining its effects.
Automatic languages: Lalana, Common
Bonus Languages: Auran, Terran, Auqan, Ignan
Favored Class: Ranger. A multiclass lalana's Ranger class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing.

Callix
2007-06-20, 07:16 PM
Very nice... but this compels me to ask "Are there Improved and Greater Multiweapon Fighting feats?" If there are, the sheer number of attacks a MWF lalana would get is somewhat daunting, particularly if they took Dervish levels. They could get up to 13 attacks per round for the same feat load as a TWFer. (doubled for dervish to 26) Also, how do extra arms affect monks? The attribute bonuses make for good monks, but how does having 4 fists rather than 2 affect anything?

Fax Celestis
2007-06-21, 04:30 PM
Very nice... but this compels me to ask "Are there Improved and Greater Multiweapon Fighting feats?" If there are, the sheer number of attacks a MWF lalana would get is somewhat daunting, particularly if they took Dervish levels. They could get up to 13 attacks per round for the same feat load as a TWFer. (doubled for dervish to 26) Also, how do extra arms affect monks? The attribute bonuses make for good monks, but how does having 4 fists rather than 2 affect anything?

There are improved versions, yes. Lalana are actually worse at this than Thri-Kreen, though, since Lalana don't get claws too.

As for monks, it essentially remains the same...until you go into MWF, where you get primary fist/fist 2/fist 3/fist 4/bite. Thri-Kreen, again, are better than this, since they get claw attacks as well.

Matthew
2007-06-22, 06:46 PM
Heh. Fax, you seem to have a great love for these sort of Humanoid/insectoid beasties. Mechanically, it looks okay, but I wonder if it shouldn't have an LA? I acnnot see one in the description, so I assume you want them to be LA +0?

Fax Celestis
2007-06-22, 06:48 PM
I inherently dislike LA, and prefer to use RHD in its place, since it does not suck nearly as much.

So I gave them 2 RHD instead of +1 LA.

Matthew
2007-06-22, 06:55 PM
Fair enough, I thought that was what you were up to.

Caewil
2007-06-22, 07:17 PM
So I gave them 2 RHD instead of +1 LA.

Agreed, LA sucks, and it makes no bloody sense either. Why should an Uber-Intelligent Yuan-Ti gain experience slower than a human?