PDA

View Full Version : Advice on monsters

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-20, 09:51 PM
alright, so I'm designing a module for use in my campaign setting.

Basically:

The Temple of Trials is a temple (of trials), in which an aspiring paladin must pass through the entire dungeon. Now, I've got some things planned for them to face (they'll be going through puzzles, traps, and monsters), but I'm lacking on the monster field.

Available for me is the MM.

So I'm looking for creature ideas to battle a level one paladin. Keep in mind, it will be only ONE level 1 paladin, so the CRs should be 1/4 or 1/2 or whatever.

I only ask because there are SO MANY MONSTERS and they aren't organized by CRs, which is what i would really like, instead of alphabetical organization.

So yea,any ideas, just post the monster name and page number in the MM.

Daedo daShoegod
2007-06-20, 10:05 PM
In the back of the monster manual is a list of monsters by CR...
Some ideas:
Kobold CR 1/4 (pg 161), Goblin CR 1/3 (pg 133), Human War skeleton CR 1/3 (pg 226), Tiny animated object 1/2 (pg 13), feindish dire rat CR 1/2 (pg 108), Hobgoblin CR 1/2 (pg 153), Orc 1/2 (pg 203), Teifling 1/2 (pg 209), Zombie Human commoner 1/2 (pg 266),

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-20, 10:07 PM
In the back of the monster manual is a list of monsters by CR...
Some ideas:
Kobold CR 1/4, Goblin CR 1/3, Human War skeleton CR 1/3, Tiny animated object 1/2, feindish dire rat CR 1/2, Hobgoblin CR 1/2, Orc 1/2, Teifling 1/2, Zombie Human commoner 1/2,

:smalleek:

That is exactly what I looked like when I read that. I can't believe I missed it. Good job, me.

Anyways, thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Icewalker
2007-06-21, 02:42 AM
Actually, considering that it's a trial for a paladin, I think something like a kobold might not really reflect what you are aiming for. I suggest some kind of homebrew spirits or little beasties instead of a traditional bandit/"camp of whatever attacking our village" types.

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-21, 09:38 AM
Actually, considering that it's a trial for a paladin, I think something like a kobold might not really reflect what you are aiming for. I suggest some kind of homebrew spirits or little beasties instead of a traditional bandit/"camp of whatever attacking our village" types.

That's actually what I did for the first level/chamber/thing, I posted it about two days ago. I figured that I'd homebrew something for part of it.

Basically:

1st level: homebrew angel
2nd level: chamber 1: undead kobold, Chamber 2: two goblins, Chamber 3: some homebrewed thing/things
3rd level: That's where the puzzles start, and it's the last level, but I still have to finish number two, so I've got little to no plan about it.

So really, just using the gobbos for two small chambers. If the paladin asks why they're there, I'll tell him that they were prisoners or some such.