PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld the Game ... qua Game

Cayzle
2007-06-20, 09:53 PM
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but has any consideration been given to Erfworld the Game? I mean, an actual wargame with rules, tokens, hex-map, and everything you would need to play?

Looking at the most recent strip (page 56) brings back memories of fantasy wargames of yore. SPI's War of the Ring. Divine Right. Fellowship of the Ring. Titan. Dragon Pass.

If the authors have actual rules to publish, I for one would buy the game. If not, I wish I had time to reverse engineer the rules from the strip, but alas for wishes.

jindra34
2007-06-20, 09:57 PM
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but has any consideration been given to Erfworld the Game? I mean, an actual wargame with rules, tokens, hex-map, and everything you would need to play?

Looking at the most recent strip (page 56) brings back memories of fantasy wargames of yore. SPI's War of the Ring. Divine Right. Fellowship of the Ring. Titan. Dragon Pass.

If the authors have actual rules to publish, I for one would buy the game. If not, I wish I had time to reverse engineer the rules from the strip, but alas for wishes.

I believe the final conclusion that was reached is that no such game will be available until the comic is over...

Nogard
2007-06-20, 11:15 PM
I believe the final conclusion that was reached is that no such game will be available until the comic is over...

And by that time we will have reverse engineered all the rules already and will be arguing how "Parson can't do that in comic #127 because the rules say...".
:smallwink:

Sky_Schemer
2007-06-21, 12:41 AM
And by that time we will have reverse engineered all the rules already and will be arguing how "Parson can't do that in comic #127 because the rules say...".

Actually, I'd bet real money that this wouldn't be the case. The rules governing Erfworld are an integral part of the story, unlike OOtS where the rules are loose and part of the joke. I think Rob intended for the strategy to be very real, so that the story could be examined and enjoyed on multiple levels (the story, the pop culture references, and the gaming itself). I suspect there are some real strategy gamers behind Rob's writing, or perhaps Rob himself, creating these detailed plans and scenarios that are absolutely within the rules of the "game".

Psychosomatic
2007-06-21, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to find that the rules governing Erfworld were originally used in a homebrew tabletop game played by Rob and his friends. At any rate, I think Nintendo should start looking into licensing a DS version of Erfworld.. 'twould be a major hit, methinks.

Nogard
2007-06-21, 08:42 PM
Actually, I'd bet real money that this wouldn't be the case. The rules governing Erfworld are an integral part of the story, unlike OOtS where the rules are loose and part of the joke. I think Rob intended for the strategy to be very real, so that the story could be examined and enjoyed on multiple levels (the story, the pop culture references, and the gaming itself). I suspect there are some real strategy gamers behind Rob's writing, or perhaps Rob himself, creating these detailed plans and scenarios that are absolutely within the rules of the "game".

well, i was trying to be funny, but i was thinking along the same lines that this actually is a homebrew TTS game. I truly hope that by the end of this all the rules will be available (either from the aforementioned reverse engineers or for purchase). Maybe I can script it in Second Life and we can all play (assuming granted permission)

Ganurath
2007-06-21, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to find that the rules governing Erfworld were originally used in a homebrew tabletop game played by Rob and his friends. At any rate, I think Nintendo should start looking into licensing a DS version of Erfworld.. 'twould be a major hit, methinks.MMO! Enough said right there.

BRC
2007-06-21, 09:48 PM
MMO! Enough said right there.

Nerf Dwagons

STFU boopface, Dwagons are fine, learn2play

Cayzle
2007-06-21, 11:10 PM
Thanks everybody for some good thoughts. I especially hope that a real wargame with real rules does emerge eventually. And if it does happen on computer, I pray that it will nonetheless keep the hex based map, stacking rules, and all the other elements that hearken back to the old chit-on-a-hex-grid model of wargame.