PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter [Field Medic] Archetype

Centik
2016-03-27, 02:02 AM
Hey guys. I'm putting together, alongside my DM, a fighter archetype for my latest crazy idea. I'm looking for a non-magic healer, so we got to homebrewing. I'm pretty new to this kind of thing, so any help would be greatly appreciated for ideas as well as balancing.

Field Medic:
------------------------------
Guardians on the battlefield, Field Medics prefer to let their quick wits and quicker hands speak for themselves. Trained in the doctoral arts, Field Medics heal allies not with magic, but with skill and long hours of study. A bandage here, some stitching there, you won’t notice the needle’s swift motions before you’re back in the fight.

Medical Knowledge:
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with Doctor’s Tools, Healer’s Kits, and Herbalist’s Kits.

Attending Physician:
Your aptitude for medicine allows you to assist others in recovery. You can expend one use of a Healer's kit to neutralize a poison after making a successful medicine check equal to the poison's save DC.
Additionally, during a short rest, other creatures you assist regain an additional 1d6 on each hit dice they spend. This increases to 1d8 at 7th level, 2d8 at 10th level, and 3d8 at 15th level.

Quick Fix:
When you use a Healer's kit to aid another, that creature gains an additional 1d10+ your fighter level. This increases to 3d10 at 7th level and 5d10 at 15th level.

Quick Wits, Quicker Hands:
Starting at 7th level, you may use a Healer’s kit as a bonus action once per turn. Additionally, a Healer's Kit may now be used multiple times equal to your fighter proficiency bonus on the same target before a short rest.

I have no idea what to add in for the 10th and 15th level skills

Skill Name:
Starting at 10th level,

Skill Name:
Starting at 15th level,
------------------------------

Update #1:

Medical Knowledge:
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with Doctor’s tools and Herbalist’s Kits.

Attending Physician:
Your aptitude for medicine allows you to assist others in recovery. You can expend one use of a Healer's kit to neutralize a poison after making a successful medicine check equal to the poison's save DC.
Additionally, during a short rest, other creatures including yourself regain an additional 1d8 on each hit dice they spend. This increases 2d8 at 10th level, and 3d8 at 15th level.

Quick Fix:
At 3rd level, when you use a Healer's kit to aid another, that creature gains an additional 1d10+ your fighter level. This increases to 3d10 at 7th level and 5d10 at 15th level. This can be used in conjunction with the healer feat.

Quick Wits, Quicker Hands:
Your experience has made you apt and resourceful in the field using any opportunity to assist your compatriots. Starting at 7th level, you may use the disengage action as a bonus action three times per long rest. As part of a disengage action you can draw or stow a weapon. You can also use a bonus action to administer a potion. You may spend one hour foraging to refill one charge of your healer’s kit if suitable materials are available.

Pharmacist:
Starting at 7th level your studies of practical medicine allow you to create healing and curative concoctions with ease. You gain the ability to make potions of healing, remove curse, and remove disease following standard rules for potion creation as if you could cast the necessary spell. You can create a potion of healing at half the price and time. For instance, in one day at a cost of 25 gold you can create a potion of healing. A potion of greater healing over five days at a cost of 125 gold. And so on as you increase in level.

Third Wind:
Starting at 10th level, you gain an additional use of second wind per short rest.

Master Attendant:
Starting at 15th level, whenever a creature rolls hit dice they receive the maximum possible amount.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-27, 01:44 PM
Quick fix should be limited somewhat. What you already have seems good next to that

CantigThimble
2016-03-27, 02:21 PM
I'd consider giving them more features related to protecting people who are at low health or unconscious. Maybe when people take down your allies you get to rush over and opportunity attack them. Maybe you get something like the protection fighting style, but only for allies who are prone and you don't need a shield.

Centik
2016-03-27, 04:17 PM
I'd consider giving them more features related to protecting people who are at low health or unconscious. Maybe when people take down your allies you get to rush over and opportunity attack them. Maybe you get something like the protection fighting style, but only for allies who are prone and you don't need a shield.

I like that idea a lot. I'll see if I can work it in and spice it up a bit!

Centik
2016-03-27, 04:19 PM
Quick fix should be limited somewhat. What you already have seems good next to that

Well, you can only use a Healer's kit once per person, per short rest. The heal, in order to compensate, has to be pretty good to even be worth the action.