PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next DND 5e Warlock Dragon Pact Subclass Balancing

Ralof
2016-03-27, 09:53 AM
Update: Since found someone elses homebrew that fill this idea better. Consider this post redundant (I'd delete it if I could figure out how)

Ralof
2016-03-27, 01:55 PM
Reserved for updates

zeek0
2016-04-03, 05:14 AM
Hello and welcome!

I'll do the best I can. I am rather fond of the idea of someone going into a pact with a dragon, so thanks for posting.

The biggest bit I was confused about is the dragon that you make the pact with. Largely in D&D a dragon that has the power to bestow warlock-abilities is large, old, and powerful, knowledgeable, the whole nine yards. Such a creature would be CR 15 at a minimum.

That makes some of your features odd. It makes Connected Mind not unlike an at-will Commune spell.

Fly-by is odd mechanically - do you actually summon your patron? Or do you simply channel your granted warlock powers into a spell-like ability? Can the dragon summoned do other things? What is the range of the ability?

Dragon Aid has the same problem - do you actually summon your patron?

I have an idea that may solve many of these problems. Instead of connecting you to a physical dragon, the pact allows you greater dragon-like powers that eventually allow you to transform into a dragon.

Here is a mock-up based on your work:
Great Dragon
You are sworn to one of the great dragons, beings of immense power and learning. Such a dragon may dwell or visit the Material Plane, but others have forsaken it altogether for other planes within or without. Its motives, powers, and knowledge are beyond your ken, but the powers it grants you are not: the elemental control that is the domain of dragons. Dragons powerful enough to forge a pact have little interest in most mortal affairs, but may use you to reach greater ends.
Great Dragon Expanded Spells
1st: Absorb Elements, Chromatic Orb
2nd: Aganazzar’s Scorcher, Melf’s Acid Arrow
3rd: Lightning Bolt, Protection from Energy
4th: Ice Storm, Stoneskin
5th: Geas, Maelstrom

Bonus Proficiency
Starting at 1st level, you gain proficiency in Medium Armor.

Elemental Attunement
At 1st level, choose a type of dragon that is the type of dragon which you made the pact with. You may transform any damage you do with a spell into the corresponding damage type.

Dragon Damage Type
Black Acid
Blue Lighting
Brass Fire
Bronze Lightning
Copper Acid
Gold Fire
Green Poison
Red Fire
Silver Cold
White Cold

Draconic Fear
At 6th level, your patron bestows upon you the ability to instill fear in a nearby enemies. As an action, you can force a 3 creatures within 30 feet to make a Wisdom saving throw against your Warlock spell DC. If it fails, the creature is frightened for one minute. On each of its turns, the creature may attempt the saving throw again. On a success, the creature is no longer frightened.

Dragon’s Breath
At 10th level, you may call upon the elemental powers of your patron to issue forth elemental energy. You emit energy in a 5 by 30 foot line or 15 foot cone (your choice). Each creature within the area must make a Dexterity saving throw against your Warlock spell DC. On a failed save creatures take 8d6 damage, or half as much on a successful save. The damage type of this damage is the same as was chosen for your Elemental Attunement feature. You may not use this ability again until you complete a short rest.

Draconic Transformation
At 14th level you may fully transform into a dragon, gaining the abilities and qualities of that dragon. As an action, you may transform into a young dragon of the type chosen by your Elemental Attunement ability (see the Monster Manual), as the polymorph spell. While transformed in this way you may use any actions listed by the Monster Manual on your turn. This transformation lasts for one minute. You may not use this ability again until you complete a long rest.

There are still some problems with my mock-up I believe - including the fact that young dragons have variable CR levels (red=10, white=6) but there is is as it stands...

Best of luck, I'd be glad to see where you go with this!

Cancer115
2016-04-22, 06:51 PM
Seems very similar to sorcerers dragon Bloodline