PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Healing Item - Percentage Based Healing Potions

Altrunchen
2016-03-28, 08:58 AM
Introduction:
I thought it kind of annoying how healing potions in D&D only heal a fixed range of hitpoints and how at higher levels the lower level ones are basically worthless. It also bugged me how there was this basic requirement that there needed to be a healer in the group. So I decided to make potions that heal a percentage of someone's hp when consumed. This way the potions are useful at just about every level and parties can exist without needing to have a healer in the group.

Rule:
The potion heals the user for the given percentage of their maximum hp not their current hp.

Special Rule:
So when I was implementing this in a campaign someone made a suggestion: have it so that when consumed in battle the percentage varies between 1 and the maximum because the person is hastily drinking it. Whereas out of combat the potion heals the maximum percentage of health. This would mean that you would have to roll a percentile die to determine what percentage of health was healed. I figured I'd mention this here in case people wanted to use it.

Potions:
The table in this section details what the potions are called, how much hp they heal, and how much they cost. Of course the DM can always adjust the prices however they want.

Class:
Percentage Healed:
Price:

Class I
10%
2 gp

Class II
20%
4 gp

Class III
30%
8 gp

Class IV
40%
16 gp

Class V
50%
32 gp

Class VI
60%
64 gp

Class VII
70%
128 gp

Class VIII
80%
256 gp

Class IX
90%
512 gp

Class X
100%
1024 gp

GnomeWorks
2016-03-28, 10:08 PM
have it so that when consumed in battle the percentage varies between 1 and the maximum because the person is hastily drinking it.

Eh, I get the idea, but too fiddly. You're already having players do somewhat complicated math (percentages), compounding that with effectively making them calculate a percentage of a percentage seems too much. Especially when that "percentage of a percentage" has to be done on the fly; if you stick with the base numbers, players can at least have those numbers prefigured if need be.

Ralof
2016-03-29, 01:58 AM
Just keep a calculator handy. I'm pretty good at math myself but for the sake of flow I often keep a calculator for times like when a rogue crits or casts a high level spell so I total up the damage efficiently whilst the rolling goes down :)
Nice idea btw op. I may have to pinch this

Ralof
2016-03-29, 02:05 AM
Also if I'm reading right it's just one percentage. you're working out using their max hp to calculate rather then their current.
So if you roll a one on a d10 for the lowest level potion it restores 1 % of their total health let's say they've got 46 health total then admittedly it's basically nothing but it's still possible to work out :D

Altrunchen
2016-03-29, 10:22 AM
Eh, I get the idea, but too fiddly. You're already having players do somewhat complicated math (percentages), compounding that with effectively making them calculate a percentage of a percentage seems too much. Especially when that "percentage of a percentage" has to be done on the fly; if you stick with the base numbers, players can at least have those numbers prefigured if need be.

Well I for one do not think that percentages are that complicated honestly. But I should also mention that I mostly do campaigns via Maptool. That being said, what Ralof said makes total sense: just use a calculator.

Just keep a calculator handy. I'm pretty good at math myself but for the sake of flow I often keep a calculator for times like when a rogue crits or casts a high level spell so I total up the damage efficiently whilst the rolling goes down :)
Nice idea btw op. I may have to pinch this

Thanks dude, I hope this works out for you. :)

Also if I'm reading right it's just one percentage. you're working out using their max hp to calculate rather then their current.
So if you roll a one on a d10 for the lowest level potion it restores 1 % of their total health let's say they've got 46 health total then admittedly it's basically nothing but it's still possible to work out :D

Yup, that's right. To make the potions more effective and easier to use, I made it so that you make a calculation based on their total hp instead of their current hp. Also, I've noticed that these potions become more and more effective at higher levels when you get more hp. The reasoning behind this is because you have more expendable wealth at higher levels, and so these curative measures become more practical. Or at least it elimanates the need to have a designated healer, making the party have more flexibility in terms of class choices.

Honestly I think it's kind of weird that parties tend to need clerics or wizards as healers. I think stuff like this can enable more diverse and even more unusual combinations of players.

At least, that's my hope.

RedWarlock
2016-03-29, 10:49 AM
Might be easier to go with simple fractions (as they did in 4e), rather than excessive percentages.

10% is simple, just move a decimal place and round off.
50% is easy (half!), as is 25% (half of half!), and adding them easily makes approximate 75%.

So that gives you a nice set of ranges:

10%
25%
50%
75%
Full

Enough for some granularity, without getting into a lot of math.

GnomeWorks
2016-03-29, 05:55 PM
Just keep a calculator handy. I'm pretty good at math

Hmm. I wonder if my thoughts apply to someone "good at math"?

Oh wait. They wouldn't. Since the point is that not everyone is "good at math."

Not only that, but now we're involving a calculator for task resolution in-combat? That's terrible. You've added not only an extra step, but an entire extra physical object to the task resolution.

I'm sure you can see why this would be a bad idea.

Altrunchen
2016-03-30, 07:04 AM
Might be easier to go with simple fractions (as they did in 4e), rather than excessive percentages.

10% is simple, just move a decimal place and round off.
50% is easy (half!), as is 25% (half of half!), and adding them easily makes approximate 75%.

So that gives you a nice set of ranges:

10%
25%
50%
75%
Full

Enough for some granularity, without getting into a lot of math.

That could work. But I've always been a real sucker for systems that have a lot of options. I suppose a DM could just decide to only use some of the entries on the table or just use this as a springboard.

Not only that, but now we're involving a calculator for task resolution in-combat? That's terrible. You've added not only an extra step, but an entire extra physical object to the task resolution.

What's wrong with adding a calculator? I've seen those at D&D sessions before. I've used them too.

Most of the time I just use Maptool so I can quickly make calculations on the fly.

Lanth Sor
2016-03-30, 05:05 PM

If every time you level up you divide your HP by 100 you can have a 1-100% chart showing exactly how much HP is healed by each potion even if you go with the roll method.

I like the idea of the potions, but I would think there should be a cap on the potions. So like 10% has a 10 hp cap while 20% has a 30 hp cap, 90% 450 hp cap 100% doesn't have a cap.

Fizban
2016-03-31, 07:20 AM
In general you've *drastically* lowered the price of healing, so you can assume that everyone will be at full health for every fight. In fact they're so cheap that the PCs should almost never have to buy any, since any NPC will be carrying their own supply. You've basically got hearts dropping from any foe with equipment. 1-XX% in combat is a bit risky, but they're still cheap enough that I'd carry a fistful of mid-high potions for in-combat healing on anyone with lots of hp and AC. Percentages also penalize people with lower hp totals, who usually get a higher "percentage" out of Cure spells and other fixed heals.

I'd suggest keeping some flat value potions around for people that want reliable options. I'd also agree that increments of 10% are smaller than necessary, though changing it would obviously mess with your pricing scheme.

As for the role of healer, well it's only ever been as necessary as the group makes it. Some parties plan and execute their battles so they almost never get hit, though they're almost surely operating with DMs who let them take all the initiative. Most optimizers will tell you that you should just be using a wand of Cure Light (or Lesser Vigor) or a couple Healing Belts anyway. Using super cheap heal potions instead just means that there's less of a daily limit, but unless the party is devoid of daily abilities or spell/power point limits it doesn't mess with much.

ngilop
2016-03-31, 10:02 AM
I only have one point to say here.

why would anybody every buy anything except the Type II healing potion?

for 4 gold to heal 20% of your max HP (the in combat % of a % double regression is IMO dumb you are still drinking the whole potion) is VASTLY cheaper than spending 1024 to heal for 100% even if you buy 5 of them (4 gold at 20% for 5 = 20 gold for 100%) I agree with what RedWarlock said about the 10%, 25%, 50%, 100% instead of the 10 different tiers of potions.

the issue is in the end that the cost is never going to be equal across the board. either your lower % potions are going to be astronomical in price compared to the 100% potions or just the opposite.

Jormengand
2016-03-31, 02:46 PM
The main reason you'd buy the big ones is action economy, but drinking them in combat on average halves their effect anyway, so...

Altrunchen
2016-04-01, 01:56 AM
If every time you level up you divide your HP by 100 you can have a 1-100% chart showing exactly how much HP is healed by each potion even if you go with the roll method.

I like the idea of the potions, but I would think there should be a cap on the potions. So like 10% has a 10 hp cap while 20% has a 30 hp cap, 90% 450 hp cap 100% doesn't have a cap.

I hadn't thought of that. That could work. Someone could easily house-rule that in as a part of these potions.

Or you could have healing potions that heal a fixed amount of hp or something? I dunno.

In general you've *drastically* lowered the price of healing, so you can assume that everyone will be at full health for every fight. In fact they're so cheap that the PCs should almost never have to buy any, since any NPC will be carrying their own supply. You've basically got hearts dropping from any foe with equipment. 1-XX% in combat is a bit risky, but they're still cheap enough that I'd carry a fistful of mid-high potions for in-combat healing on anyone with lots of hp and AC. Percentages also penalize people with lower hp totals, who usually get a higher "percentage" out of Cure spells and other fixed heals.

I'd suggest keeping some flat value potions around for people that want reliable options. I'd also agree that increments of 10% are smaller than necessary, though changing it would obviously mess with your pricing scheme.

As for the role of healer, well it's only ever been as necessary as the group makes it. Some parties plan and execute their battles so they almost never get hit, though they're almost surely operating with DMs who let them take all the initiative. Most optimizers will tell you that you should just be using a wand of Cure Light (or Lesser Vigor) or a couple Healing Belts anyway. Using super cheap heal potions instead just means that there's less of a daily limit, but unless the party is devoid of daily abilities or spell/power point limits it doesn't mess with much.

Dude, the prices aren't set in stone. Any DM can change them how he/she pleases. As always.

And you're right that at lower levels these aren't that good. Which is why when I use these potions, I make the normal kinds available too.

As for the healer only being as necessary as the group makes it...I think it really depends to a certain extent. And besides, I don't really play with optimizers. I mostly play with role-players.

I only have one point to say here.

why would anybody every buy anything except the Type II healing potion?

for 4 gold to heal 20% of your max HP (the in combat % of a % double regression is IMO dumb you are still drinking the whole potion) is VASTLY cheaper than spending 1024 to heal for 100% even if you buy 5 of them (4 gold at 20% for 5 = 20 gold for 100%) I agree with what RedWarlock said about the 10%, 25%, 50%, 100% instead of the 10 different tiers of potions.

the issue is in the end that the cost is never going to be equal across the board. either your lower % potions are going to be astronomical in price compared to the 100% potions or just the opposite.

Because it takes less time to drink one potion than it does to drink five of them.

The main reason you'd buy the big ones is action economy, but drinking them in combat on average halves their effect anyway, so...

My point exactly.

And keep in mind guys that you don't have to use the whole rule of the potions healing a random percentage in combat if you don't want to. I threw it in there because I thought people might want to use it. I'm not saying they have to.

Final Hyena
2016-04-01, 02:28 AM

As someone who is good at maths the idea of percentaging your percentages in the middle of combat makes me groan. Not only because it'll slow the game down (which is something that should be reduced), but having such a mechanic will likely lead to arguments between people who don't understand the maths.

Now there is nothing inherently wrong in using a calculator if it saves time, however if your mechanic desperately needs one perhaps it needs a quick examination. Remember you're catering to everyone not just yourself.

Fizban
2016-04-02, 02:57 AM
Dude, the prices aren't set in stone. Any DM can change them how he/she pleases. As always.
Without the prices there's nothing to critique, consumables are only as good as their price. You've suggested low prices and I've responded with what that means, which is that they probably do exactly what you want. With a bit of a reminder that if you're used to "healer" being a role you may not be prepared for starting every fight at full hp.

As for the healer only being as necessary as the group makes it...I think it really depends to a certain extent. And besides, I don't really play with optimizers. I mostly play with role-players.
Stoooormwiiiiiind ho! No matter how unoptimized it's still pretty easy to figure out how to not have a "healer": everyone plays people that can do their own healing. Or the party shares Cure wands, which is the usual suggestion. Not like any of my games from either side have gone without at least one person capable of healing mind you, but as always "roleplaying" a person who walks into danger with 1,000's of gp in solid items but won't spend anything on life insurance (such as paying their share of the heals), I find sketchy at best.

Altrunchen
2016-04-03, 12:39 PM
As someone who is good at maths the idea of percentaging your percentages in the middle of combat makes me groan. Not only because it'll slow the game down (which is something that should be reduced), but having such a mechanic will likely lead to arguments between people who don't understand the maths.

Now there is nothing inherently wrong in using a calculator if it saves time, however if your mechanic desperately needs one perhaps it needs a quick examination. Remember you're catering to everyone not just yourself.

Honestly that's why I don't normally use that special rule. I mostly just do the normal percentage rule since it's easier. But it seemed like a good suggestion that a player once made, so I figured it couldn't hurt to bring it up here.

Without the prices there's nothing to critique, consumables are only as good as their price. You've suggested low prices and I've responded with what that means, which is that they probably do exactly what you want. With a bit of a reminder that if you're used to "healer" being a role you may not be prepared for starting every fight at full hp.

Stoooormwiiiiiind ho! No matter how unoptimized it's still pretty easy to figure out how to not have a "healer": everyone plays people that can do their own healing. Or the party shares Cure wands, which is the usual suggestion. Not like any of my games from either side have gone without at least one person capable of healing mind you, but as always "roleplaying" a person who walks into danger with 1,000's of gp in solid items but won't spend anything on life insurance (such as paying their share of the heals), I find sketchy at best.

I dunno, the reliance on wands just kind of irks me. As far as lore goes it just seems to make wands less and less special. I personally wish that wands and staffs could be more special like in Lord of the Rings and in Harry Potter. But that's a topic for another thread.

And as far as prices go. Yeah pricing is always a challenge. But I'm personally more interested in discussing the concept of percentage based healing potions and what their mechanic would do to the game experience rather than discussing how to price them.