PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next duckfolk! [PEACH]

tallesthalfling
2016-03-29, 06:48 AM
I was going through the listed homebrew compendium and noticed a duck race, this caught my attention as an interesting concept so I decided to have a look. I was disappointed so I set-out to create my own anthropomorphic duck people and thus here they are. what i would like is some critique this is my first homebrew as I'm also very fresh to 5e. what would you change? what would you keep or would you just bin the whole thing? any feedback is appreciated.

Duckfolk.

The duck folk are a race of magically altered ducks, their bodies and minds were altered through magical experiments. This tribal race spends much of their time living in small settlements they call nests which can normally be found in wetlands. most either a light green of white there is much variation in the display these bird people display. normally their eyes are either blue, green, brown, or black with exceptions listed below (or as player sees fit). They are a flightless race as their wings have been modified to more resemble human-like arms. Adventurers come from the fact that the females reproduce consistently through the year pushing the young to mature and contribute to their society.

Size: small (2.5ft-3ft)

Ability increase: As the duckfolk is commonly an attractive well-spoken race he/she gains +1 to charisma.

Water adept: Whenever you make n Acrobatics check in water or on wet terrain, you are considered proficient and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.

Superior eyesight: the nature of your eyes allows advantage on sight based perception checks in bright light.

Swim: because of its nature the duckfolk has swim speed equal to is land speed.

Subtypes:

Tar feathered

This variation of the duckfolk is known as the more cunning variety these are the most commonly seen type as they are often businessmen whom roam the lands in search of riches to be made however they might. Not always the most trustworthy but yet reliable if the end goal is in line with their desires the have been known to join adventuring parties. they differ from the more common duckfolk as their feathers are a deep green tinged almost black, some have a distinctive white belt of feathers around their lower neck. this verity is particularly attractive and subtly smarter than the others giving him/her an edge in the social scene with other races not known to help others without a reason that benefits themselves they will make friends with demon lords and stab them in the back if it suits their personal cause.

Ability increase: the tar feathered duckfolk holds themselves quite well their visually attractive plumage coupled with the way they carry their tongue grants them a +1 to charisma and +1 to intelligence.

Ducks cunning: As the tar feathered duckfolk You know the "friends" cantrip. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Fowl play: You lie, cheat, and will do anything to advance your goals, you are considered proficient in deception checks.

Steamer

The steamer is a far more aggressive verity of the duck folk; this hot headed water fowl is quick to anger but is also known to be strong enough to slay larger foes. These types of duckfolk often find themselves removed from their nests in favour of adventure where their brutish tendencies are more appreciated. these differ in appearance from other duckfolk as their eyes are a deep red, their feathers are tipped in a distinctive crimson giving them a fierce and unkempt appearance. loyal and foolhardy they will join adventuring bands for the sole sake of feeling purpose even if only for a short time.

Ability increase: due to its nature the steamer gains +2 to strength

Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

Brave: Brave or stupid its not clear but this duck isn't backing down, you gain advantage on saves against fear effects.

if you decide to use this could you post your experience, thanks in advance.

tallesthalfling
2016-03-29, 07:00 AM
slight alterations

adjusted wide feet aspect to be in-line with 5e builds.
brought swim speed in-line with land speed.
ducks cunning has been made less mathy and replaced with charisma based innate spell progression.

Race points stand at base [1] tar [+3] steamer [+3]

cyberman09
2016-05-12, 07:24 PM
seems interesting

DeadpanSal
2016-05-12, 08:37 PM
I'd remove the Fowl Play trait and do something aside from deception skill proficiency. Maybe they get a bonus to saving throws.

...because they know how to duck.

CletusMusashi
2016-05-12, 11:03 PM
Their family structure would be a little bit different from ours. Since birds have no lactation-mode postponing their next reproductive cycle, female duckfolk would be busy with new eggs and/or children before the other ones were remotely mature. So it would be common to see most of their upbringing being passed off onto an older and/or male relative.
I also think, due to their extremely rigid mouth structure that they would have difficulty speaking humanoid languages. I mean, they're not Parrot Folk. So maybe any language they learn, they can understand as well as expected, but attempts at communication would require a noticeably handicapped proficiency roll.
And also. there would be handicaps to movement and dexterity, whenever attempting to wear shoes and/or pants. Hats and sailor suits are fine, though.

Ralcos
2016-05-13, 12:14 AM
When I first saw this, I immediately thought of Howard the Duck; I don't know why. XD

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/67602/2353985-marvel_zombies_5023.jpg

tallesthalfling
2017-01-01, 11:07 PM
Yeah kinda what I was going for. I've ran it as an NPC and my players have seemed to like Drake Barnes the one-eyef sweet talker who acted as a voice of reason in a town turned upside down by hoards of the undead.
Still would love to hear from anyone one their experiences should they play a duck folk.