PDA

View Full Version : Which system to use?

Aleolus
2016-04-02, 10:37 PM
So, I am a fan of a book trilogy called The Obsidian Chronicles, written by Lawrence Watt-Evans, and I was wondering. If I wanted to run a game set in the world of those books, what would be the best system to use? I'm very familiar with D&D 3.5, moderately familiar with M&M and WoD, and I have played a couple games in GURPS, plus I have a couple of the Exalted books and the ones for the CODA system. I would be willing to look at others if they would be a better fit though

russdm
2016-04-02, 11:05 PM
I'm very familiar with D&D 3.5,

I don't know about the books, but I would discourage using 3.5 Edition of D&D unless the novels were actually employing D&D rules. D&D 3.5 is only really good at telling a certain set of stories, and doesn't really work for novels of any kind.

Aleolus
2016-04-03, 08:43 AM
I figured as much. Especially consudering how different dragons are in the books compared to in D&D.

1)Dragons all spew a potent venom that they can ignite after it leaves their mouth, rather than actually breathing fire.
2) Dragon hide is completely invulnerable to all weapons except those made of obsidian, and only piercing their heart will actually kill them.
3) Dragons have no gender, they reproduce wheenever a human. consumes a mixture of a dragons venom and human blood. The literally turns the humans heart into a gestating dragon, extendig the humans lifespan to the point where the dragon will fully mature, roughly a thousand years.

Lentrax
2016-04-03, 01:47 PM
Mmm. Exalted could work... but would take tweaking. M&M would work just as well for the setting. generic WoD though.... unless you want a high level of lethality for the players, probably not so much.

thedanster7000
2016-04-04, 09:29 AM
If you're familiar with GURPS, its realism and customisation could make it close to the books, just more work for the GM.

ChrissP
2016-04-04, 09:48 AM
I use Obsidian Chronicles

Aleolus
2016-04-05, 07:13 AM
There is an actual game called Obsidian Chronicles? Is it actually set in the same world? Can you tell a bit about the system, as well as let me know where I can get it?

kyoryu
2016-04-05, 10:00 AM
For trying to emulate a book, my default answer is Fate.