PDA

View Full Version : New Paladin oath: Paladin of the Pure Light

Feuerphoenix
2016-04-03, 08:45 PM
Hello fellas :)

At first if you find any mistakes concerning my English, please forgive me. :)

This paladin was created under the banner "how I imagine a paladin should be". It is based on my ideals, my experiences and my imagination. I am somewhat new to DnD, so the most important feedback I need would be, whether this build is overpowered, compared to other oaths.
_____

To become a "Lucian" or Crusader-Paladin, before you take the oath, you have to have the feat blessed.

Blessed:

you gain the Channel Divinity Sacred Weapon (from the devotion oath), and you can use it once per short rest. It needs to be regenerated separately from your other Channel Divinities, thus is only possible, when all other ones are already regenerated.

Sacred Weapon can only be used on a bond-weapon (explained later on).

Tenets of the pure light

Light the Darkness: Wherever is darkness, light is needed most. Don't refuse the light to any place.

Shatter the Darkness: Shatter all corrupted evil, and everything that is supporting is. Eradicate everything it touched.

Speak the right of the Pure Light: The Pure Light and its glory stand above all mundane law. The the righteous judge wherever you are.

Walk in the Pure Light: Be an example for everyone to follow, in words and deeds.

_____

You know the light cantrip, if you don't know it already from another source.

Weapon-Bond:
A Lucian only trusts the weapon he wielded all his life, showing this, by entering a holy bond with the weapon. (only one weapon at a time can be bonded to). This bond is achieved by meditating four hours over a weapon you are proficient with. You can dismiss this weapon in a subplane or let it appear again as a bonus action. As long as sacred weapon affects this weapon, it can not be disarmed.

To achieve a bond with a new weapon, this new weapon needs a lot of battles to proof its reliability first. before you can break the old bond.
____

Channel Divinity:

Lightstrike:
As an action, you present you holy symbol, speaking words of the pure light. In a 15ft cone, all characters which are not looking in the direct opposite direction, need to succeed a Con-Saving throw against your Spell Save-DC, or be blinded until the end of your next turn. Creatures with darkvision have disadvantage on the saving throw, due a sensory overload. Creatures without eyes or blindsight automatically succeed the saving throw

_______

Spells:

3rd: Sanctuary, Divine Favor
5th: Moonlight, Find Steed (Celestial)
9th: Daylight, Spirit Guardian
15th: Freedom of movement, Aura of Life
17th: Hallow, Mass Cure Wounds

______

Aura of light:

Beginning at 7th level, the light protects you and everyone around you. All spells are treated, as if you have resistance, as long as "sacred weapon" is active.

At 18th level, the aura expanse to 30ft.

Lightaspect:

At 15th level, pure light flows through your veins. You become resistant to radiant and necrotic damage.

In addition, when sacred weapon is active, and you cast divine smite, the targeted creature makes an Con-saving throw against your spell save-DC, or become blinded until the end of your next turn. If the creature is bigger than huge, you also have to be in eye-sight of the creature. Creatures with blindsight succeed this test automatically.

Lightwarden:

Beginning at 20th level, you become a vessel for the pure light itself. As an action for one minute, you glow in a massive light 30ft around you. All darkness-spells are dispelled. All Undead, fiends and celestials that started their turn inside this radius, are blinded without a saving throw, even if they usually could not become blinded (at the end of a creatures turn, it may take a Con-Saving throw against your Spell Save-DC).You may role a D4, and add its result to either your strength, dexterity, or charisma. It may extend 20 by adding it this way. When you are affected by sacred weapon, you gain +1AC, and your weapon deals an additional 2D4 radiant damage. You can only use this ability once every long rest.

In addition, all effects which only occur by casting sacred weapon, also occur, when you cast the light cantrip on your weapon, but you have to use a spell slot for it. It is still an ordinary spell, and can be dispelled by darkness or other dispelling spells.

_______
I am heavily focussed on making the paladin strong in one certain combat, thus making the player consider whether he wants to expand this opportunity now or keep it back. Also the spell-resistance ability looked to me as an well fitting tool for a paladin, but it was way to strong, as being a
passive always on aura. Now the player also has to consider about making use of it, thus bringing the aura in a very balanced area, especially ambushes with now do really hit him and the party.

Please share your thoughts with me. :)

Gildedragon
2016-04-03, 09:03 PM
Light the Darkness: Wherever is darkness, light is needed most. Don't refuse the light to any place.

Shatter the Darkness: Shatter all corrupted evil, and everything that is supporting is. Eradicate everything it touched.

Speak the right of the Pure Light: The Pure Light and its glory stand above all mundane law. The the righteous judge wherever you are.

Walk in the Pure Light: Be an example for everyone to follow, in words and deeds.

Eradicate everything it touched sounds like the paladin is expected to kill anyone who was affected by Evil, even if they are victims of it.

Also the Speak the Right... oath feels, well, antisocial; particularly in regards to the Shatter the Darkness. It says: kill without compunction anywhere.

Feuerphoenix
2016-04-04, 05:59 AM
Hi Guigarci,
first of all, thanks for the reply. Yes especially the eradication oath is meant to be in this way. I was too tired to translate the full background story, so this may be a little bit confusing here. The main thought behind this was, lucians are the most extreme paladins. For them it is only the pure light and shattering all evil, that counts. How far you want to go concerning the oath, was intentionally part of the alignment you have. As a lawful good good character, you will not kill the peasant who is fleeing from the zombies, but a soldier who is running away from them...well this may be a different story.

About the right speaking you are certainly right. I will make my own thoughts about reediting this paragraph.

Do you think the oath itself is overall balanced?

Feuerphoenix
2016-04-05, 01:09 PM
Plz more feedback guys :) I really appreciate it.

Gildedragon
2016-04-05, 01:53 PM
Well I don't know what system you're using so I can't comment on power and balance.
But the order seems not so much Good as Anti-Evil; which aren't the same things. I'd venture this as a TN order: they are so focused on the fight against evil that they have not focused on the Good; so concerned with their own code that they have forgotten how order works with a community or society at large. They only accept L(X) or TN individuals as members. Good for an antagonist sect but not very good for PCs as PCs gotta be collaborative and flexible and the oath makes for a hardass paladin; the type that doesnt play well with others.
For example: the walk oath doesn't say squat of being a GOOD example. Just an example. Of how tyrant works, of martial prowess, etc

Also they ruin the party's stealth ops.

ThePurple
2016-04-05, 05:50 PM
I can't really talk about anything balance related since I'm not really proficient in 5e, but you may want to reword Weapon-bond because you state that your paladin "only trusts the weapon he wielded all his life" and then immediately contradict that by saying that they can form this bond after 4 hours of meditation.

But the order seems not so much Good as Anti-Evil

If you're at all familiar with the Goblins (gobinscomic.org) webcomic, there is an antagonist/villain character named Kore who is basically this paladin. He indiscriminately kills any evil creature (or even possibly evil creature), anything that has been even been exposed to an evil creature, anything that is not evil at the moment but has the potential of becoming evil at some later point, and anyone that gets in his way (because, you know, he's a paladin; if you're fighting him, you've gotta be evil). He's basically a mass murdering genocidal madman, which is what any paladin that actually followed your oaths to the letter would be, especially the "Eradicate everything [evil] touched" part since being present in a marketplace where an evil mad person was preaching (and not prevented from doing so because LG would believe in the protected right of free speech) would be considered to be "touched" by it.

If you wanted to prevent them from becoming mass murdering genocidal madmen that get put on pretty much every other organization's "kill them asap" list because they're an organization of mass murdering genocidal madmen, you might want to include an addendum or exception that you should provide the opportunity for someone evil or exposed to evil to truly repent for their evil ways before killing them. "Truly repent" is open enough to interpretation that it gives them an excuse not to kill someone who was barely grazed by evil while still allowing them to kill people who were actually exposed to evil in a meaningful way.

The standard D&D universe uses a universal definition of "good" and "evil" because there are magical effects that interact with those conditions. As such, being "good" means following a specific set of universal precepts and, regardless of your intentions, being "evil" means following other ones that are directly in opposition of those. One of those "good" precepts is that it's wrong to kill innocent people.

Because of the general intolerance and willingness to kill and exterminate people even only tangentially related to evil, I would actually label this as a Lawful Evil religion. It's a Lawful Evil religion directly in conflict with pretty much everything else that's evil out in the universe, but that doesn't stop it from being evil itself.

For another example of this, Belkar from OotS is Chaotic Evil but a *vast* majority of the things he kills are evil and he is in direct conflict with pretty much every other evil organization out there. Killing evil does not make you good. Killing indiscriminately, even if it's based on an ironclad code of conduct, *does* make you evil.

Of course, this doesn't mean they necessarily view themselves as "evil". They probably view themselves as paragons of good that are simply doing what must be done to extinguish and stop the spread of evil. Viewing yourself as good, though, doesn't mean that you are, especially in a universe that outright states what "good" actually is.

If you go this route (making them an LE organization dedicated to stomping out evil in any form or quantity) while still providing them the veneer of "good", you might want to include an ability that allows them to register as "good" or "evil" for the purposes of any effects that depend on alignment, in whichever way benefits them the most. This could create an interesting clash of conscience when the "good" paladin is completely unaffected by stuff that doesn't deal damage to evil creatures, making him question whether he's actually as good as he thinks he is (or, more likely, just thinks that the evil is trying to trick him and make him doubt himself).

Feuerphoenix
2016-04-06, 06:28 AM
yeah you both have a point there. I defined the oaths as it is, because I thought the alignment would handle the "how". But in fact you brought me to the point, on which I think the oath has to do this on its own. The oath itself was meant for general good, and LN Chars. So considering this, I tried to edit the oath to the following:

Shatter the Darkness: Shatter all corrupted evil, and everything that is supporting is. Eradicate all evil to its roots.

Speak the right of the Pure Light: Where is injustice, let the Pure Light shine. Speak your law, to protect the innocent, and smite unjust.

Walk in the Pure Light: Be the torch in the darkness, bight in good deeds, hot in temper, shining in all colors of honor and duty. Never let this light expire inside you.

there is still a lot of room for rp, and less possibilities to become a killing spree.

Are the abilities of the oath itself balanced?