PDA

View Full Version : HELP making few custom NPCs.

j_spencer93
2016-04-07, 03:29 PM
I have a campaign to run Saturday, however I just now finished the world building (about 80% original) and finishing tows/shops/race diversity/lore/etc. So now i have a few NPCs i need to make, which are based off of preexisting fantasy characters; however, for some reason I am not satisfied with any version I have came up with. SO now I am asking for a little help.

First is Eol of the LOTR universe; http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/E%C3%B6l if you don't know who or what he is. Obvious elf (high elf prob), wears metal armor made from a metal from the sky of which only he has, wields poison javelins and a sword. Has magical powers, was obviously thinking Eldritch Knight on this one.

Second is As Nodt from bleach; http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/%C3%84s_N%C3%B6dt I would like to retain his fear abilities, his eye dome ability, and the limitation it is all visual based.

Third I am interested in making a Darth Maul character. Mainly an acrobatic warrior using a double sided weapon, force lightning and whatever.

I am not sure if to just build them with classes (for Eol) and use them that way or making completely unique creatures. I am not that great at making creatures in this new system yet.

j_spencer93
2016-04-07, 04:26 PM
Eol the Dark Elf
https://goo.gl/photos/fna9W9oPgugump6W6

That link should work, if not let me know.
All i have right now are the attributes and a few other things. I am not sure how to do HD exactly, and where i really start to fumble is in lair/legendary actions.

SO I guess first, are the stats good? Too weak or to strong? Did I forget anything?

Darth Maul
https://goo.gl/photos/B5c4Dm28xyS5BJt9A

Not sure why his Url is so long but whatever. Anways is his stats good or to weak?

As Nodt
https://goo.gl/photos/jgfP1kiYPCW8RddG6

Falcon X
2016-04-07, 04:43 PM
Let me tackle Darth Maul. It largely depends on how much homebrew you allow for NPCs. (Personally, as long as it's NPCs, I allow all the homebrew)

1. No Homebrew: Storm Sorcerer (until get lightning attack), then switch to Vengeance Paladin (to channel spell slots into weapon attacks). Be dex and cha based the whole way.
2. Sun Soul Monk: Just change it to Force Soul Monk and it's radiant attacks into lightning or force attacks. Use a vorpal staff as your monk weapon. Now you have a force energy weapon that you can flurry of blows with while shooting lightning and channeling energy.
3. Shadow or Open Palm Monk: Take Spell Sniper or Magic Initiate to get Fire Bolt and reflavor it as Lightning Bolt.
4. Bladesinger: Just reflavor it to a rage instead of a song. Now focus on boosting it's AC to rediculous levels and you have a character that can dodge anything while slinging spells and making decent attacks with a staff.

The Sun Soul reflavor is probably the closest to what you want, but I'd like to try out the Bladesinger reflavor.

j_spencer93
2016-04-07, 04:47 PM
Oh, so using a class would work for an NPC. I hoenstly wasn't sure. If so, then I would prob use the Silverain class (homebrew), its a jedi/sith thing anyways. Actually that will make him really simple (relatively, i am always unhappy with what i make).

Any ideas of Legendary actions? I don't think lair actions fit him, he doesn't really have a "lair" or prepare the area before battles.

Shining Wrath
2016-04-07, 04:51 PM
I'd vote for taking a NPC "monster" from the monster manual rather than building them as player characters. Take an archmage or an assassin or whatever, swap spells and powers around.

If that doesn't work then you probably want to find pre-rolled player characters of the level and class you want and do a little homebrew swapping.

Falcon X
2016-04-07, 04:58 PM
For Legendary actions/lair abilities:
- For his final fight in Episode 1, have him control a lair where he either has a force control or a magic item (gauntlet) that will raise and lower barriers, separating teammates.
- Legendary action: Force Lightning. This could be where he gets that ability. Then you can just Monk him all the way.

Race: In cannon, he is a son of Dathomir. That means that he was a son of witches who modify their sons with magic. This could still be straight human. Some to consider would be:
- Vashar: (Book of Vile Darkness 3.5) - A race created before humans that are essentially their "Dark Side".
- Drider: Did you see Maul when first introduced in the Clone Wars. Dude was creepy.
- Deep Imaskari: Humans who trapped themselves below earth for thousands of years, changing their skin to an earthy look and developing their hidden magics.

[edit] You might check out the 2007 Saga edition Star Wars Core Rulebook. It was made by Wizards and Chris Perkins. It's in 3.5 style, but should cross pretty well with 5e.

j_spencer93
2016-04-07, 05:22 PM
I made him using the Silverain class for now. Prob alter it to be less of a class and more of powers for him. Also, as for race, I left all of that out until i figure out what I want to do with him.
Btw darth maul is just a place holder name, and i am thinking of dropping the class and remaking him. Maybe a mass up of maul/dooku. However giving him force powers as abilities and legendary actions.

A revised and more complete Eol is now up.

j_spencer93
2016-04-07, 07:49 PM
I feel Eols weapon is weak for his CR, however I am not sure how to really make it up to par. I looked at the Solar, but find its a little overpowered in my opinion.
As Nodt is now up.