PDA

View Full Version : Power of nature, Plant network spells!

talse
2007-06-21, 10:57 PM
The general motivation for this was so that a druids power could also reflect their efforts in making nature more stable and so that they need not be so sedentary to be effective.

Plant Network Spells

Flavor text

As a the Earth’s biosphere’s interconnectedness and diversity lends it strength and resistance from devastation, so do the druids efforts to strengthen nature.

Description

A druid can draw energy from the plants she has distributed even when not in the presence of all them.

Rules

A druid can plant various different plants from flows, to bushes to great oaks. Each plant is described as a level between 1 through 9 requiring time equal to it’s place in the Fibonacci sequence in months (a first level plant takes 1 month, 4th takes 5, 7th takes 21 and so on) before it becomes self sustaining. Care counts as checking in twice a month and making an herbalist check of DC 10+ 2xlevel, failure by less than or 5 raises the DC for following checks by 1, and failure by more than 5 ruins the plant.

After the first plant begun in a month, each consecutive plant has a +1 to it’s difficulty.

To start a plant of a given level, the druid must be able to cast druid spells of the same level.

A druid can intuit whether or not enough of her network is still alive to use any of her spells, but not to what extent.

Example spell

Lesser Light Siphon

Flavor Text
Relocating some of the light energy your plants use to photosynthesize you can cause a pre-treated object to illuminate for a duration.

Pre-requisites
Druid level 3
3 level 1 plants and a level 2 plant
Treated object to act as focus

Effects
The designated focus can be activated to emit a light spell for up to an hour without damaging the plant network. In between uses the plants must get 4 hours of sunlight. Usage beyond an hour or activating the focus again will destroy 1 level 1 plant in the network per hour of continued use. Every multiple of the required plants, such as 6/1 and 2/2 or 9/1 and 3/2 will extend the usable period an hour.

talse
2007-06-22, 06:55 PM
Plants with special properties can also be grown.

Example special plant

Good Berry Bush

Flavor
The berries produced by the druid spell good berry are imitations of the berries made by this bush and as such are temporary. These berries are less perishable.

Pre reqs
Plant network 5/1 1/2
2nd level druid spells

Description
Treat the good berry bush as a level 2 bush for raising purposes. Every 2 weeks after hitting maturity the good berry bush produces 1d8+4 good berries. Must grow nearby another plant in the druid’s network.

psychoticbarber
2007-06-22, 07:34 PM
This is really interesting, and I like it, but I'd like to see it expanded on, perhaps clarified. I'm not sure exactly how the mechanics for this work.

talse
2007-06-23, 12:10 AM
what kind of clarifications? like how much power each level flora can contribute to the network? I'm still fiddling around with that.