PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Druid rework [Need Feedback]

Tzi
2016-04-18, 01:25 AM
Link to a nice google doc here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NoKFOFKjU1IRzzJrDs08vMAG-WIz-wl3BUXc8ickTic/edit?usp=sharing)

Essentially this class is based on the Archivist for 5e developed here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?372060-D-amp-D-5e-The-Archivist) but with some classic druid and cleric spliced in for archetypes.

This is intended to be more of a Divine Wizard whom uses the druid spell list and can either be a shapechanger or a divine invoker of nature and the Gods and Goddesses of a given setting. Personally I have found the conventional druid unsatisfying, and in order for it to fit my campaign setting a bit better I knew I'd need to change it to make it more what I see a Druid as. Mainly a philosopher priest and lorekeeper.

So, Overpowered? Under? A God awful mess?

Final Hyena
2016-04-18, 04:52 AM
If we look at the shapeshifter circle it starts out pretty reasonably, but become fairly week in the 6-9 levels.

As for the Ovate;
"At 2nd-level, you may adopt either the Life, Knowledge, or Nature cleric domains and powers"
I read this and assumed it meant that you essentially get all of the domain features, but the next line;
"You also gain the channel nature power"
I read this and assumed it referred to Channel Divinity: charm animals and plants.
If both my assumptions were correct then it makes no sense to go Nature as you would lose out.
I doubt this is the intended meaning, but I can't be certain on what is.

The greater Mysteries is an interesting ability to flesh out the druids limited spell list, I do feel like six is a few too many in one feature.

Tzi
2016-04-18, 10:00 AM
If we look at the shapeshifter circle it starts out pretty reasonably, but become fairly week in the 6-9 levels.

As for the Ovate;
"At 2nd-level, you may adopt either the Life, Knowledge, or Nature cleric domains and powers"
I read this and assumed it meant that you essentially get all of the domain features, but the next line;
"You also gain the channel nature power"
I read this and assumed it referred to Channel Divinity: charm animals and plants.
If both my assumptions were correct then it makes no sense to go Nature as you would lose out.
I doubt this is the intended meaning, but I can't be certain on what is.

The greater Mysteries is an interesting ability to flesh out the druids limited spell list, I do feel like six is a few too many in one feature.

I've updated it a tad, and may alter it again, to grant instead of elemental power a sort of spirit animal form, or the ability to shapechange into some other non-animal. Magical animals? Dragons (smaller ones?)

And no, Channel Nature is just a paint job on Channel Divinity, it is just YOUR own channel divinity so the class features of the domain powers can work.

Final Hyena
2016-04-18, 10:32 AM
I've updated it a tad, and snip no, Channel Nature is just a paint job on Channel Divinity, it is just YOUR own channel divinity so the class features of the domain powers can work.
Ah, I once was blind, but now I can see.

may alter it again, to grant instead of elemental power a sort of spirit animal form, or the ability to shapechange into some other non-animal. Magical animals? Dragons (smaller ones?)

I'm not too sure as I haven't looked at the balance of wildshaping beyond roughly level 11. One thing to look into is the abilities gained, most beasts have little with regard to features beyond; damage, fly, swim, better eyes/nose. If you wish to allow other creatures you should check what abilities they get.

Most of what I've looked into is the balance of the regular wild shape, I've found that roughly the original moon wild shape is balanced if you limit the second wild shape to level 5 like an extra attack. perhaps in those weaker (6-9) levels you could up the beast CR?

Tzi
2016-04-18, 11:59 AM
Perhaps I could add magical animal options or even dragon options in for the 6-9 slump?

Final Hyena
2016-04-18, 05:32 PM
I would allow;
CR 1 at level 5
CR 2 at level 6~7
CR 3 at level 9

So you could go with dragons;
Silver Dragon Wyrmling
Gold Dragon Wyrmling

For monstrosities you might like
Centaur (needs his weapons)
Manticore

The issue is these things tend to have unique stuff, or in other words the power of versatility. This is why shifting is easier if kept to beasts.

Tzi
2016-04-18, 06:10 PM
I would allow;
CR 1 at level 5
CR 2 at level 6~7
CR 3 at level 9

So you could go with dragons;
Silver Dragon Wyrmling
Gold Dragon Wyrmling

For monstrosities you might like
Centaur (needs his weapons)
Manticore

The issue is these things tend to have unique stuff, or in other words the power of versatility. This is why shifting is easier if kept to beasts.

Alright, I've ran with your advice and improved shapechanger to keep it as animals and scale it a bit better.

Tzi
2016-04-18, 06:52 PM
Also added a 3rd achetype of "Lorekeeper," Which is the original archivist first archetype as made SaintRidley (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?372060-D-amp-D-5e-The-Archivist). The reason being is that it does fit the lore and offers a direct battle utility that is very clear cut.

Final Hyena
2016-04-18, 07:08 PM
The Ovate druids at 14th level gets 6 spells from any list. This is a fair amount when compared to the bard who only ever gets 2 at any single point (and only gets about 1 from normal leveling). Maybe spreading it out over the 12, 14 & 16th level would spread out the power curve a bit.

I'm getting a bit tired to give good balance advice, but it might be worth looking into just giving 1 spell at 12, 14 & 16.