PDA

View Full Version : Special Weapon Rounds

8BitNinja
2016-04-19, 07:51 PM
So, while revising Futurequest, we decided to add some new things in. One of the cool (or not so cool, depending on what you think) things we thought of is that each weapon could have a special, more expensive ammo type. I had no idea what to do, but I knew that you guys are really creative. Here is what I have so far, remember, these are not set in stone, so if you have a different idea for one I already listed, go right ahead.

Assault Rifles: Tracer Rounds- Firing reveals everything within the spaces it traveled through, revealing missed hidden targets, traps, and other things.

Sniper Rifles: Armor Piercing Rounds- Ignores Armor, straight and simple

Shotguns: Brimstone Rounds- Deals explosive damage at point blank, burns enemies at any further distance

Handguns: Technobane Rounds- Doubles as an EMP

Submachine Guns: ???

Miniguns: ???

Rocket Launcher: ???

Keltest
2016-04-19, 08:18 PM
Submachine guns could fire SpecialMaterium rounds (pick a material of choice) that increases the effective range of the weapon.

Rocket Launchers can fire napalm rockets that coat an area in napalm instead of just exploding.

Miniguns... Honestly, its hard to justify specialty rounds for miniguns. Maybe ultra space efficient ammo or something that increases the effective capacity for it?

8BitNinja
2016-04-19, 11:00 PM
Submachine guns could fire SpecialMaterium rounds (pick a material of choice) that increases the effective range of the weapon.

Rocket Launchers can fire napalm rockets that coat an area in napalm instead of just exploding.

Miniguns... Honestly, its hard to justify specialty rounds for miniguns. Maybe ultra space efficient ammo or something that increases the effective capacity for it?

1. Due to having a material list already, this works perfectly

2. This would be messy, but fun one to mess with

3. There is already extended magazines for it (since it's the future we all get clips for Miniguns, and it's considered it's own weapon type)

Incorrect
2016-04-20, 06:02 AM
Assault Rifles: Manstoppers, tearing through unarmored targets.

Shotguns: Brimstone Rounds sounds cool.
Maybe also Rock Salt for nonlethal use.

Submachine Guns: How about something making them easier to hide. non-metallic guns and ammo?
I dunno...

Miniguns: Tracer Rounds, making it easier to aim the stream of bullets

Rocket Launcher: Active Nanite Oxidation Shells (Disintegrators) , in stead of blowing stuff up these nanite packed shells rusts approximately 1 metric ton of connected metal to dust within seconds.

Brother Oni
2016-04-20, 07:10 AM
You could draw inspiration from various tank and artillery rounds and assume sufficiently advanced technology to miniaturise them to still be effective at the small arms scale:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/images/rounds_001.gif

They basically boil down to blowing things up (HE, HESH, etc), setting things on fire (HE, incendiary) punching holes through things by either being really hard and fast or very hot and melt-y (APFSDS and HEAT), anti-infantry (canister, NOT white phosphorus *Cough*) and cover (illumination to stop providing it for the enemy, white phosphorus to provide it for your side).

Often the effects of one round can make it double for another function - tracer rounds are very good at setting things on fire, WP is great against unprotected infantry although its use as such constitutes a war crime. Effects of different types can usually be combined (HEAP for example).

By the way, incendiary rounds for shotguns exist:

http://img11.deviantart.net/5ab7/i/2002/33/3/7/incendiary_shotgun_at_night.jpg

8BitNinja
2016-04-20, 10:29 AM
Assault Rifles: Manstoppers, tearing through unarmored targets.

Shotguns: Brimstone Rounds sounds cool.
Maybe also Rock Salt for nonlethal use.

Submachine Guns: How about something making them easier to hide. non-metallic guns and ammo?
I dunno...

Miniguns: Tracer Rounds, making it easier to aim the stream of bullets

Rocket Launcher: Active Nanite Oxidation Shells (Disintegrators) , in stead of blowing stuff up these nanite packed shells rusts approximately 1 metric ton of connected metal to dust within seconds.

I like your ideas, especially the rusting missiles. You must really hate androids and enemy engineers :smallsmile:

You could draw inspiration from various tank and artillery rounds and assume sufficiently advanced technology to miniaturise them to still be effective at the small arms scale:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/images/rounds_001.gif

They basically boil down to blowing things up (HE, HESH, etc), setting things on fire (HE, incendiary) punching holes through things by either being really hard and fast or very hot and melt-y (APFSDS and HEAT), anti-infantry (canister, NOT white phosphorus *Cough*) and cover (illumination to stop providing it for the enemy, white phosphorus to provide it for your side).

Often the effects of one round can make it double for another function - tracer rounds are very good at setting things on fire, WP is great against unprotected infantry although its use as such constitutes a war crime. Effects of different types can usually be combined (HEAP for example).

By the way, incendiary rounds for shotguns exist:

http://img11.deviantart.net/5ab7/i/2002/33/3/7/incendiary_shotgun_at_night.jpg

1. Thanks for providing info in these artillery shells, I'll look into that

2. I knew about Dragon's Breath rounds, that's what Brimstone rounds are inspired from

Slipperychicken
2016-04-21, 06:53 PM
I don't see any attached grenade-launchers here. Things can get pretty fun when your players get creative with explosives.

AR, SMG, minigun, and handguns should have AP too. Explosive rounds could work for all of the above.

Rockets could have anti-vehicle ones that are also great against structures. Also guided or "smart" rockets.

kieza
2016-04-21, 07:04 PM
So, while revising Futurequest, we decided to add some new things in. One of the cool (or not so cool, depending on what you think) things we thought of is that each weapon could have a special, more expensive ammo type. I had no idea what to do, but I knew that you guys are really creative. Here is what I have so far, remember, these are not set in stone, so if you have a different idea for one I already listed, go right ahead.

Assault Rifles: Tracer Rounds- Firing reveals everything within the spaces it traveled through, revealing missed hidden targets, traps, and other things.

Sniper Rifles: Armor Piercing Rounds- Ignores Armor, straight and simple

Shotguns: Brimstone Rounds- Deals explosive damage at point blank, burns enemies at any further distance

Handguns: Technobane Rounds- Doubles as an EMP

Submachine Guns: ???

Miniguns: ???

Rocket Launcher: ???

Why only one advanced ammo type per weapon? And why could only one weapon use each ammo type? I can see not using a discarding sabot in a submachine gun, but surely if you can put tracer rounds in an assault rifle you should also be able to put them in an SMG.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean, which may very well be the case.

8BitNinja
2016-04-21, 09:22 PM
Why only one advanced ammo type per weapon? And why could only one weapon use each ammo type? I can see not using a discarding sabot in a submachine gun, but surely if you can put tracer rounds in an assault rifle you should also be able to put them in an SMG.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean, which may very well be the case.

The idea is to make each gun more diverse, and to give more pros to using different weapons