Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will partial
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 17

You fire a ray at your target and draw away his time energy, effectively rewinding your target’s time to the point when he did not yet exist. On a successful Will save, the target remains in existence, but regresses to childhood (-4 to all physical ability scores, -1 to all mental ability scores, decrease one size category) and ages normally from that point on, unless a wish or miracle is used to restore them to their previous age category. Constructs, elementals, fey, and outsiders are immune to this power, as are any deities who do not possess the outsider type.

Since targets of this power are not truly killed, spells such as raise dead, reincarnate, resurrection, and true resurrection fail automatically. However, a wish or reality revision can bring the target back into existence as an infant, and a second wish or reality revision, or a miracle, used to restore him to his former age category.

Hostile Temporal Acceleration
Psychoportation
Level: Nomad 8
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 round/4 levels
Saving Throw: None
Power Points: 15

The target begins aging at a hyperaccelerated rate. On the round that he is struck by this power, the target advances to the next age category, and continues to age at a rate of 1 age category per round that this power’s effect continues. If the power would continue after the target has reached the venerable category, he dies of old age on the next round and crumbles into dust on the round after that. Constructs, elementals, fey, outsiders, and undead are immune to this power, as are any deities who do not possess the outsider type, as well as any other beings who do not age to the point of death, such as elans.

Targets of this power count as having died of old age for the purposes of being raised from the dead, but a wish, miracle, or reality revision could bring a victim of this power back to life at his natural age.

Grey Watcher
2007-06-24, 07:08 PM
So, what does Temporal Reversal do to Undead? Can you restore a person to life from undeath? Do you get zombie babies? What happens to your memories in the various instances (wishing back, re-aging, etc.?) do you loose skills or class levels?

With Rapid Aging, can anything like Wish help you become resurrectable as normal for your natural age?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-24, 07:11 PM
Yes, Temporal Reversal restores undead creatures to life from undeath. Classes, memories, and skills do not change.

And IIRC, true res can bring you back even if you do die of old age. So wish and miracle would be capable of doing so as well.

Fizban
2007-06-24, 07:18 PM
Nope, old age prevents true rez as well. Wish and miracle can only duplicate a normal ressurection anyway.

Maybe allow a wish cast upon the body (possibly first created with a different wish) to remove the spell effect retroactively, restoring the creature to life as if the spell had never been cast.

Poppatomus
2007-06-24, 07:19 PM
that's what I thought.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-24, 07:25 PM
Fixed, then.

Jack_Simth
2007-06-24, 08:01 PM
Let's see...

Hostile Temporal Acceleration:
It's a Die effect. No save. Even if it gets dispelled on the first round, any combat-type that's hit has severe issues: -1 to all physical ability scores (and +1 to all mental). If it takes two rounds, that's -3 to all physical ability scores (and +2 to all mental). If it takes three rounds, that's -6 to all physical ability scores (and +3 to all mental). One level after you can get it, it's certain death, unless dispelled.
Oh, and what happens if you use it on something that ages, but has no maximum age (e.g., an Elan)?

Temporal Reversal:
Save or die, and even if you save, you still lose if you rely on your physical ability scores, or equipment that doesn't resize itself. Even on a successful save, a Fighter-type is toast. Armor? No, sorry - too big. Weapons? No, sorry - too big. Not that it matters, as the -4 Str, Dex, and Con is liable to leave the Fighter-type rather useless anyway.

Neither lets you come back by way of True Ressurection.

Oh, and two things:
1) You're using Psionics if you're using either of these powers - you might want to include Reality Revision in the list of things that can deal. Just a thought.
2) Powers usually include the minimum power point cost of the power, even though it's totally formulaic.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-24, 08:40 PM
Let's see...

Hostile Temporal Acceleration:
It's a Die effect. No save. Even if it gets dispelled on the first round, any combat-type that's hit has severe issues: -1 to all physical ability scores (and +1 to all mental). If it takes two rounds, that's -3 to all physical ability scores (and +2 to all mental). If it takes three rounds, that's -6 to all physical ability scores (and +3 to all mental). One level after you can get it, it's certain death, unless dispelled.
Oh, and what happens if you use it on something that ages, but has no maximum age (e.g., an Elan)?

Do you think it's too powerful? Should I add a saving throw?

Temporal Reversal:
Save or die, and even if you save, you still lose if you rely on your physical ability scores, or equipment that doesn't resize itself. Even on a successful save, a Fighter-type is toast. Armor? No, sorry - too big. Weapons? No, sorry - too big. Not that it matters, as the -4 Str, Dex, and Con is liable to leave the Fighter-type rather useless anyway.

Neither lets you come back by way of True Ressurection.

Again, do you think it's too powerful? It's hard for me to tell.

Oh, and two things:
1) You're using Psionics if you're using either of these powers - you might want to include Reality Revision in the list of things that can deal. Just a thought.
2) Powers usually include the minimum power point cost of the power, even though it's totally formulaic.

Fixed.

Human Paragon 3
2007-06-25, 11:59 AM
Are one (or both) of these ranged touch attacks? that might help to balance them a bit, as I think they are both too powerful as currently written. The only other die-with-no-save spell that I can think of is PWK and that has a HP limit.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-25, 01:47 PM
Temporal Reversal is a ray spell, yes. Of course, it also allows a save. I felt that since it's so difficult to come back from, it was important to allow two chances to avoid it's effects.

Imrix.
2007-06-25, 08:40 PM
Mayhaps a Fort save to avoid being regressed to childhood/aged to death?

Like, the body is rather firmly entrenched in its own time and doesn't willingly allow this. So, Fort save.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-06-25, 10:02 PM
With some intelligent uses for this, one could effectively live forever.

Vaynor
2007-06-26, 01:28 AM
With some intelligent uses for this, one could effectively live forever.

Compared to most things in D&D, this would be one of the most troublesome ways to stay alive forever. :smalltongue:

Caewil
2007-06-26, 02:14 AM
What would happen if you cast Hostile Temporal Acceleration on a Dragon?

jindra34
2007-06-26, 06:55 AM
What would happen if you cast Hostile Temporal Acceleration on a Dragon?

It would get really powerful and eventually die of old age.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-26, 07:10 AM
Mayhaps a Fort save to avoid being regressed to childhood/aged to death?

Like, the body is rather firmly entrenched in its own time and doesn't willingly allow this. So, Fort save.

Well, the time regression one already has a save. It's Will partial; should I change it?

As for Hostile Temporal Acceleration, the reason I didn't give it a save is this: A body naturally gets older; all the power is doing is accelerating the process. *shrug*

martyboy74
2007-06-26, 07:51 AM
What happens if Hostile Temporal Accelerationed creature walks into an AMF/NPF?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-26, 08:54 AM
What happens if Hostile Temporal Accelerationed creature walks into an AMF/NPF?

Then the creature stops aging at the accelerated rate, but it doesn't go back to its original age category.

martyboy74
2007-06-26, 01:56 PM
Does anything special happen if you manifest it on someone, and then Temporal Stasis is manifest on them? If so, what?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-26, 02:22 PM
Temporal Stasis? I'm not familiar with that one.

martyboy74
2007-06-26, 02:45 PM
My bad, it's a spell, not a power. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/temporalStasis.htm)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-26, 03:18 PM
I would say that they dispel each other. Whichever effect was there first is overridden by the second effect.

Umarth
2007-06-26, 04:33 PM
Temporal Reversal - I think this is over powered as it allows a way around the death by old age problem.

If you added that they regain there former age after 1 week (basically age really fast that week) then I'd say it's okay.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-26, 05:06 PM
I would say that Temporal Reversal should have two saves, not a save and touch attack. Will negates, Fort prevents more than one backwards step in age categories.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-26, 05:52 PM
Temporal Reversal - I think this is over powered as it allows a way around the death by old age problem.

I think using this power that way is likely to bring maruts down on you.

Umarth
2007-06-26, 06:02 PM
I think using this power that way is likely to bring maruts down on you.

Better have a lot of them coming after you if your tossing arround 9th level powers though. Your what minimum 18th level at that point?

I'd also say DM fiat is a bad way to balance an ability. Same flaw that polymorph, shapechange, ect fall into.

I guess you could say that any creature targeted more than once with this spell causes a cumulative 20% chance of summoning 1d4+2 Maruts who attack the caster.

martyboy74
2007-06-26, 07:21 PM
Better have a lot of them coming after you if your tossing arround 9th level powers though. Your what minimum 18th level at that point?

I'd also say DM fiat is a bad way to balance an ability. Same flaw that polymorph, shapechange, ect fall into.

I guess you could say that any creature targeted more than once with this spell causes a cumulative 20% chance of summoning 1d4+2 Maruts who attack the caster.

I would also have a clause that says: 'All castings of this spell that kill the target do not add to this chance.'

Demented
2007-06-26, 08:41 PM
Temporal Reversal seems like an exceptionally bad way to cheat death. The -4 to physical scores seems permanent... How many times can you lose 4 CON?

If it's not permanent, but rather just an element of the age category, then the age category should be specified (perhaps referenced to that homebrew thread involving children?) and the spell should reduce you to that. But if that's the case, all you'd need is another Psion/Nomad with reality revision to fix the results if you fail your save...

A group of Level 18 6-year-old Nomads would be... dastardly.

But between that and this being another Save-or-Die spell (that requires 2 wishes to undo), it's more trouble than it's worth, and too much for a 9th level spell. Epic psionics anyone?

Moving on to Hostile Temporal Action, we've got another Save-or-Die spell. Compared with Recall death, it requires no save, doesn't kill instantaneously unless you're already an old coot, and is only effective against humanoids, aberrations, plants, and animals, including magical beasts. It's also not mind-affecting and doesn't allow resurrection beyond the wishkin spells.

Seems like a 9th-level spell, especially when used against PCs, despite the slow kill aspect. Unless there's a way to dispel/reverse it (and its effects) in the middle of its duration, without using Wish/Miracle/Reality Revision.

firepup
2007-06-27, 01:10 PM
Okay, sorry to say this, but temporal reversal and temporal acceleration is just too powerful, weaken it so maybe it lowers something by a set amount of years to make it less effective on those long lived creatures in DnD and deadlier for the short-lived creature instead of permanent stat losses, perhaps a XX% cumulative chance per use that he creates a temporal paradox and xDx time elementals(dunno if they still exist)/quantum mechanics/*insert time related creature here* appear and fix the paradox, and possibly attacking.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-27, 02:34 PM
Ok, how do these revisions look?

Temporal Reversal
Psychoportation
Level: Nomad 9
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates and Fortitude partial
Power Points: 17

You draw away time energy from your target, effectively rewinding your target’s time to the point when he did not yet exist. On a successful Will save, the target remains in existence, must make a Fortitude save or regress to childhood, which imposes a -4 penalty to all physical ability scores, a -1 penalty to all mental ability scores, and causes the target to shrink one size category. If the Fortitude save is successful, then the target is merely regressed to young adulthood, which imposes a -1 penalty on all ability scores. These penalties are not permanent, and disappear when the target reaches adulthood. The target does not lose any of its skills or levels, and ages normally from that point on, unless a wish or miracle is used to restore them to their previous age category. Constructs, elementals, fey, and outsiders are immune to this power, as are any deities who do not possess the outsider type.

Since targets of this power are not truly killed, spells such as raise dead, reincarnate, resurrection, and true resurrection fail automatically. However, a wish or reality revision can bring the target back into existence as an infant, and a second wish or reality revision, or a miracle, used to restore him to his former age category.

People who use this power on themselves or who have it used on them in order to prolong their lives are visited by a marut inevitable within 1d4 days.

Hostile Temporal Acceleration
Psychoportation
Level: Nomad 8
Duration: Instantaneous and 1 round/4 levels; see text
Saving Throw: None
Power Points: 15

The target begins aging at a hyperaccelerated rate. On the round that he is struck by this power, the target advances to the next age category, and continues to age at a rate of 1 age category per round that this power’s effect continues. If the power would continue after the target has reached the venerable category, he dies of old age on the next round and crumbles into dust on the round after that. Constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, outsiders, and undead are immune to this power, as are any deities who do not possess the outsider type, as well as any other beings who do not age to the point of death, such as elans.

Dispelling or suppressing this power before its duration expires halts the aging, but does not restore the victim to his original age category.

Targets of this power count as having died of old age for the purposes of being raised from the dead, but a wish, miracle, or reality revision could bring a victim of this power back to life at his natural age.

Anxe
2007-06-27, 05:27 PM
You've still got the problem of manifesting Hostile Temporal Acceleration on friendly Dragons to make them stronger.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-27, 05:52 PM
*adds dragons to the list of creature types not affected*