PDA

View Full Version : Rune-Take Four, I Think

JNAProductions
2016-05-04, 06:53 PM
So, I've had an idea kicking around my head for an RPG for a while, and upon seeing this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?328888) by Qwerty, I decided to take another stab at it.

What is the system good for?
Designing complex and synergistic golems for various missions.

What is the setting/genre?
Modernish fantasy. Lots of industrial magic.

How complicated a game is it?
Supposed to be intuitive to use, but complicated to master.

What dice/randomizers?
I'm leaning towards a d10 dice pool system.

What is the core mechanic?
Core stats: Not sure. Thinking Life, Will, Agility, Brawn... Really not sure.
Core Mechanic: Roll a number of d10s, and try to beat a target number X amount of times. The harder the task, the higher the target number. The more successes, the better.

Serious or comedic?
Serious.

What do you want to reward and how?
Completing missions. As you complete missions, you get money and materials, which you can use to upgrade golems, to complete tougher missions. Rare materials and Runes should only be available through certain missions, to prevent being able to make the most powerful golem ever by working a 9-5 job.

How do you make a starting character?
First, the GM decides on starting resources. Second, the players decide on a starting mission, either custom-made or selected from a list made by the GM. Third, the players make their first golems, by combining parts and Runes to build a self-aware automaton.

How do characters advance?
Either by making more golems or upgrading existing golems. You could either have a group of specialized golems (a sneaky golem, a brute golem, a mage golem, etc.) or a single generalized and powerful golem.

What do your basic elements mean?
Life-HP, basically.
Will-the driving force behind a golem. Determined by the player character, with a maximum based on the golem.
Agility-how dexterous a golem is.
Brawn-how strong a golem is.

How exactly does your core mechanic work?
Roll a number of d10s equal to your appropriate stats. (For instance, shoving a door open is pure Brawn. Overwhelming another golem's programming is Will.) For each success, you achieve one degree of victory. (The door is reinforced steel-needing an 8 to shove. You have a Brawn of 6 and roll 2 8+s. You achieve two degrees of victory, opening it wide enough for a Size 2 golem to slip through. In the second example, the golem has a mental defense of 3 (very weak). You have a Will of 4, and roll 4 3+s. You achieve four degrees of victory, taking the golem from Shaky->Out of Control->Disabled->Under Your Control.)

Do NPCs play by the same rules?
Yes.

How does the core mechanic handle the actions you want to reward?
Achieving a mission will require various actions to be taken. For instance, say the mission is to steal a Rune of Life. You might need to pick locks (Agility+Lockpicking), disable magical wards (Will+Magic), sneak around (Agility+Stealth), and defeat guards (many various stats). Achieving success on these actions will let you complete the mission, gaining a reward (a Rune of Life, to upgrade golems with, or you could sell the Rune of a lot of cash to upgrade golems with).

What other mechanics are needed?
A structure for building and upgrading golems.

If your game has special abilities or equipment, how do they work?
Runes and parts. Many Runes and many parts.
Fire
Water
Earth
Air
Cold
Hot
Projectile
Area
Beam
Endothermic Flame (Fire+Cold)
Ice (Water+Cold)
Tundra (Earth+Cold)
Fog (Air+Cold)
Plasma (Fire+Hot)
Steam (Water+Hot)
Magma (Earth+Hot)
Heat (Air+Hot)
Arms
Legs
Torsos
Heads
Tails
Very much incomplete, very much needs more work.

And so on...
Please, inquire as to how the system works. I have a decent chunk of ideas in my head, I just don't know fully how to turn them into a game.