PDA

View Full Version : Sniper homebrew(WIP)(Feedback wanted)

cyberman09
2016-05-12, 07:26 PM
So, first homebrew, its gonna suck but what the hell. Anyways i was trying to go for the far away approach, and updates to come

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wDODo8yKXjN0sf7UyTx4v0bTe9iJaSGPSCZeLtDmZTk/edit?usp=sharing

Rerem115
2016-05-12, 08:09 PM
From what I've seen, there are a few things I'd like to change.

1: No class gets proficiency in Dex and Wis saves. Those are the most common saves; having proficiency in both would make it more powerful than any other class in regards to saves.

2: I know you're going for a high damage class, but a free 2d6 ranged weapon at level 1 is a bit much. Also, what's the scaling? You said it starts at 2d6. As a side note, what's the range?

3: What does the scope do? As written, there's no reason to use it; it has no benefits and imposes disadvantage within 30 feet.

4: What's the intended time frame? Is this supposed to be in a modern 5e setting, or the typical castles and dragons setting?

5: These are some really expensive bullets. A low level character has the potential to go broke just from keeping their weapon loaded.

6: Hunter's Mark once a day at level 1 is really strong, but doesn't scale terribly well. Also, Hunter's Mark doesn't scale well with a class based around very few, very powerful attacks as I assume this one is. On the other hand, getting Hunter's Mark on top of all the other abilities at level 1 seems like a bit much; maybe buff this a bit and move it to a later level?

7: Minor bookkeeping; all other classes get an archetype at 3rd, not 2nd level.

While there isn't much to go on, my gut instinct is to say scrap the special rifle and instead give more universal bonuses to using ranged weapons. If this is meant to be used in the traditional 5e setting, it breaks a lot of flavor and looks like it has the potential to be simultaneously over and under powered; dealing way more than average damage when you have enough money to make bullets, while being nearly useless when you run out of gold.

You probably should have written more of the class before posting this; right now it's really hard to gauge the strength of the class with access to only part of the level one ability.

cyberman09
2016-05-12, 09:08 PM
From what I've seen, there are a few things I'd like to change.

1: No class gets proficiency in Dex and Wis saves. Those are the most common saves; having proficiency in both would make it more powerful than any other class in regards to saves.

2: I know you're going for a high damage class, but a free 2d6 ranged weapon at level 1 is a bit much. Also, what's the scaling? You said it starts at 2d6. As a side note, what's the range?

3: What does the scope do? As written, there's no reason to use it; it has no benefits and imposes disadvantage within 30 feet.

4: What's the intended time frame? Is this supposed to be in a modern 5e setting, or the typical castles and dragons setting?

5: These are some really expensive bullets. A low level character has the potential to go broke just from keeping their weapon loaded.

6: Hunter's Mark once a day at level 1 is really strong, but doesn't scale terribly well. Also, Hunter's Mark doesn't scale well with a class based around very few, very powerful attacks as I assume this one is. On the other hand, getting Hunter's Mark on top of all the other abilities at level 1 seems like a bit much; maybe buff this a bit and move it to a later level?

7: Minor bookkeeping; all other classes get an archetype at 3rd, not 2nd level.

While there isn't much to go on, my gut instinct is to say scrap the special rifle and instead give more universal bonuses to using ranged weapons. If this is meant to be used in the traditional 5e setting, it breaks a lot of flavor and looks like it has the potential to be simultaneously over and under powered; dealing way more than average damage when you have enough money to make bullets, while being nearly useless when you run out of gold.

You probably should have written more of the class before posting this; right now it's really hard to gauge the strength of the class with access to only part of the level one ability.
Ok thanks man.
1.I was thinking about the idea that a sniper needs know about wind direction and such, but re-looking that would be more intelligence
2.I was basing it on the more powerful scale of the better melee weapons, but didn't account for the idea this is ranged
3.i forgot about the range, the scope is supposed to increase the range(i know that it wont "increase" the range but it would make someone more accurate at long ranges)
4.The intended time frame is medieval and I am making a chart for how you got the rifle.(some examples are soldier warped back in time, rifle dropped through inter dimensional rift etc.?
5.I forgot that low level character do not get as much gold, i have not played a low level character for awhile.
6.Yes i know i put quite a bit in level one and i will change it later
7. Ok i thought some Archetypes started at lvl 2

Overall, i suck at homebrew but thank you for checking it out, again this is my first project so there are definitely some rough edges that need to be smoothed out.

Rerem115
2016-05-12, 09:29 PM
One more small thing:

The way you have the bullet crafting set, it's more efficient to take short rests than long rests. In one hour, you can spend 5 gold to make 10 bullets. In the time it takes to have a long rest, (8 hours) you could make 80 bullets for 40 gold.