PDA

View Full Version : Bowman of Gosal [PrC]

brian c
2007-06-25, 10:06 PM
This is an archer Prestige Class I whipped up today for my homebrew setting (links in my sig to other parts of it). While technically setting-specific, this is easily adaptable to other settings by changing the name of the god to whoever the god of archery is.

A key part of this class though is a new weapon, the Elven Longbow, so first off I'm going to give the stats for it. Elves get weapon familiarity with it.

This is a specific type of composite longbow whose construction is an Elven secret. Very difficult to make and to use, possession of an Elven Longbow marks a true archer. Because of their rarity and the troubles involved in making them, all Elven Longbows are considered masterwork; this is included in their price. The true versatility of an Elven Longbow is that it may be used accurately by anyone, regardless of their strength. Any Elven Longbow counts as a composite longbow (+X), where X is the user's strength modifier, maximum of +10. The effect of this is that the wielder of an Elven Longbow may always add their strength modifier to their damage rolls, and never takes a penalty to attack rolls as they might on a regular composite bow. For creatures with a strength modifier greater than +10, an Elven Longbow could be specially constructed to take advantage of their physical power. For each +5 to strength modifier, the base cost of the bow is doubled (not including enchantments).

Proficiency in the Elven Longbow requires a character to have either Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Elven Longbow), or Martial Weapon Proficiency (elves only).

Elven Longbow
Price: 750 gp (includes masterwork)
Damage (S/M): 1d8 / 1d10
Critical: x3
Range Increment: 150ft
Weight: 4 lb
Type: Piercing

Also, I'll give my brief description of Gosal, which is subject to minor changes but it should at least give anyone reading this an idea of who Gosal is.

Gosal: The Archer, Elf-King

Portfolio: Air, Birds, Archery, Elves
Domains: Air, Travel, Trickery
Alignment: CN
Favored Weapon: Elven Longbow (or Longbow, Composite Longbow)

When the first elves populated the forests, they were led by the clever Gosal. Under his watchful eye, elves first crafted their mighty longbows for use against rampaging orcs, vile dragons and the occasional being from the Underworld. When Kifan, enraged by the elven resistance against a force of demons, sent his personal guard to kill Gosal, Baal himself intervened and elevated Gosal to divinity.
Gosal is revered by all elves, and also by archers of all races. In combat, his followers prefer ranged weaponry and hit-and-run tactics to straightforward attacks. It is widely known that worshippers of the Archer God use birds as scouts and lookouts.

Now that I have that stuff out of the way, the PrC itself will be in the next post. For anyone reading this in the next few minutes, be patient, it'll take me a few minutes to get the table done.

brian c
2007-06-25, 10:15 PM
Bowman of Gosal

Within the ranks of worshipers of Gosal, there exists an organization of superbly talented archers. Called the Bowmen of Gosal, these skilled warriors use their faith to perform amazing feats with their arrows. Bowmen practice their art to show devotion to Gosal, and he in turn enhances their abilities. Tales of members of this order tell that they can do anything from sending arrows through solid rock to shooting the stars themselves.
Fighters, rangers and scouts are the most common Bowmen of Gosal. Other Bowmen may be clerics, rogues or barbarians. Paladins rarely join this society, as their strict lawfulness makes them unlikely to worship Gosal in the first place.

Hit Die: d8

Bowman of Gosal
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Ranged Power Attack|-

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Stuck Arrow, Guided by Gosal|-

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Blessed Shot 1/day|-

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+2|Bonus Feat |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+2|Supreme Marksman|-

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+2|Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+3|Blessed Shot 2/day|-

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+3|Bonus Feat, Shooting Stars|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class [/table]

Requirements: To become a Bowman of Gosal, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Deity: Gosal
Feats: Proficiency with Elven Longbow, Weapon Focus (Elven Longbow), Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot

Class Skills:
The Bowman of Gosal's class skills and the abilities associated with those skills are: Balance(Dex), Hide(Dex), Jump(Dex), Knowledge(Religion) (Int), Knowledge(Nature) (Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silently(Dex), Sense Motive(Wis), Spot(Wis), Survival(Wis), and Tumble(Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Special Abilities

Ranged Power Attack: A Bowman of Gosal gains Power Attack as a bonus feat at 1st level, but only for the Elven Longbow. If the Bowman already has the Power Attack feat, he may still use it normally for melee weapons. When a Bowman of Gosal uses Power Attack with an Elven Longbow, treat it as a one-handed melee weapon.

Bonus Feats: At 2nd level and every two levels thereafter, a Bowman of Gosal gains a bonus feat from the following list. A Bowman of Gosal need not meet the ordinary prerequisites for a feat in order to take it as a bonus feat, with the exception of Fighter levels needed for Weapon Specialization and such.

Bonus feat list:
Deadeye Shot, Far Shot, Improved Critical (Elven Longbow), Improved Initiative, Improved Precise Shot, Improved Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Penetrating Shot, Power Critical (Elven Longbow), Ranged Disarm, Ranged Pin, Ranged Sunder, Sharp-shooting, Shot on the Run, Weapon Specialization (Elven Longbow), Zen Archery

Stuck Arrow: As a full round action, a 3rd level Bowman of Gosal may shoot an arrow into a surface with so much force that the arrow stays there. The most common usage of this skill is to attach a rope to an arrow and stick it onto a surface so that the Bowman and his allies can use the rope to climb up, or to climb across a pit or chasm. To stick an arrow, the Bowman makes an attack roll against an area (AC is 10, or lower if it is a small area, DM's discretion). If the damage roll exceeds the hardness of the material shot at, the arrow is stuck. Any attack roll made with a rope attached to the arrow takes a -2 penalty. Another use for this ability is to stick a roped arrow into an enemy. An enemy stuck with a roped arrow cannot move further than the length of the rope unless he wins an opposed strength check against the Bowman, in which case the arrow is pulled out, doing 2d6 damage.

Guided by Gosal: Starting at 3rd level, all arrows shot by a Bowman of Gosal are considered magic and holy for the purposes of overcoming DR. Additionally, his arrows are not affected by Windwall, the Arrow-Catching or Arrow Deflection magic properties, Protection from Arrows, or the Deflect Arrows and Snatch Arrows abilites as long as the arrows were fired from within one range increment of the Elven Longbow.

Blessed Shot: Starting at 5th level, a Bowman of Gosal gains the ability to use the spell True Strike as a spell-like ability once per day. This ability applies only to ranged attacks made with an Elven Longbow, and can be cast as a swift action. At 9th level this ability may be used one additional time per day.

Supreme Marksman: At 7th level, a Bowman of Gosal may make a life-threatening strike at any time. If an opponent is flat-footed, flanked, or otherwise denied their Dexterity bonus to AC from an attack by the Bowman, he may make a ranged coup-de-grace attack as a full-round action. This attack automatically hits and threatens a critical. The Bowman may not Power Attack while using this action. This action can only be used within one range increment of the Elven Longbow.

Shooting Stars: Upon reaching 10th level, a Bowman of Gosal may use sunlight or starlight to enhance his ranged attacks. A Bowman makes a single melee attack against one opponent as a full-round action. This ability is usable 1 + wisdom modifier times per day. This attack does normal damage plus 2d6 holy damage, and the opponent must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 15 + wis modifier) or be blinded for 1d4+1 rounds. If neither sun nor stars are visible, this ability cannot be used. This is a supernatural ability.

Hm, well some people have read this but no comments yet. I realize I didn't ask for them though, so let me say: if you look at this thread, please reply and tell me what you think of it. Is it cool? Like the flavor/fluff? Is it balanced? (though everyone should know that my setting is high-powered, and that I don't condone Order of the Bow Initiate being multiclased with this). Comments, questions, typos, anything? Feel free to let me know.

brian c
2007-06-26, 10:11 AM
Still no comments? Cmon, just one?

Ionari
2007-06-26, 07:33 PM
Nice fluff, good connection to the abilities. Having fighter feat progression *and* half caster levels, in addition to the cool other abilities, does seem a little overpowered, though. Also, the Guided by Gosal ability to bypass windwall, arrow deflection etc. seems especially strong, maybe limit it to number of times per day.

A further thought - you mention that Gosalites use birds as their scouts - maybe have some related ability? X times per day, command a bird to spy for you?

brian c
2007-06-26, 11:16 PM
Nice fluff, good connection to the abilities. Having fighter feat progression *and* half caster levels, in addition to the cool other abilities, does seem a little overpowered, though. Also, the Guided by Gosal ability to bypass windwall, arrow deflection etc. seems especially strong, maybe limit it to number of times per day.

I wasn't really sure what to do about that ability, it may end up being X/day or something like that but I want it to be effective very often. Maybe burn a spell slot for it...?

Also, half divine caster progression is something I went back and forth on. For rangers it's great, but for cleric archers it'd be overpowered. Keep in mind though that this is for a high-powered game, so "a little overpowered" is kinda what I'm going for. Also, I'm not using the standard cleric in this game. Cloistered Clerics replace Clerics for "civilized" races, which are unlikely to worship Gosal, and my new Mystic class is the main divine caster for the races which are actually likely to worship him.

Crap, druids too... although why would you take half spellcasting instead of druid, even if it's the weaker shapeshift variant druid?

A further thought - you mention that Gosalites use birds as their scouts - maybe have some related ability? X times per day, command a bird to spy for you?

That's just about Gosal in general; this PrC doesn't have any particular connection to that, although Bowmen with levels in Ranger (or even Druid) should be relatively common.

Matthew
2007-06-28, 10:29 PM
So, this is intended for Rangers or Fighters from levels 7-16?

It's kind of hard to qualify for with five Feats. Ironically, Elves need to be Ranger 9, whilst Humans need to be Rangers 6. Still, a dip into Fighter might be worthwhile. An Elf Fighter 6 qualifies okay, though.

Stuck arrow is a bit of a lame Feature. Does it work on any type of surface equally? [i.e. Adamantine]

Elven Long Bow looks to be very similar to a Complete Warrior Masterwork Great Bow. It might be easier just to make it that. After all, what exactly makes it Elvish? (Sorry, Race specific Weapons get right on my nerves)

brian c
2007-06-28, 11:17 PM
So, this is intended for Rangers or Fighters from levels 7-16?

Yes, pretty much

It's kind of hard to qualify for with five Feats. Ironically, Eves need to be Ranger 9, whilst Humans need to be Rangers 6. Still, a dip into Fighter might be worthwhile. An Elf Fighter 6 qualifies okay, though.

Elf Ranger feats: Point Blank Shot (1), Rapid Shot (ranger bonus 2), Precise Shot (3), Weapon Focus (6).

That qualifies for the class. A human ranger does just fine, as would a fighter of either race. Other classes would take a little bit longer, but a Half-Orc fighter could do this:

Point Blank Shot (1), Precise Shot (Fighter bonus 1), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Fighter bonus 2), Rapid Shot (3), Weapon Focus (Fighter bonus 4)

and he's there (except for BAB). Basically though, this should be almost all Rangers and Fighters,

Stuck arrow is a bit of a lame Feature. Does it work on any type of surface equally? [i.e. Adamantine]

Hey, they can't all be winners. I tried to put it at the same level as a cooler feature to balance it out. It'll work on any surface, although keep in mind you have to beat the hardness of the surface, which for adamantine is 20. Not impossible to beat, but it'd take a max damage roll on the Elven Longbow (d10) and 11 damage from strength and enhancements.

Elven Long Bow looks to be very similar to a Complete Warrior Masterwork Great Bow. It might be easier just to make it that. After all, what exactly makes it Elvish? (Sorry, Race specific Weapons get right on my nerves)

Hm... I generally skip over the new items sections in the splatbooks, I'd never really looked at that before. To answer your question, now that I've looked at the Greatbow, these are the differences:

1) Elven Longbows are all composite; additionally, they all have the same effective str bonus (+10) for the base price

2) Elven Longbows are different from any regular composite bow in that you don't take an attack penalty for not having enough strength

3) Elven longbow has a longer range increment

a couple other minor differences, the prices are different and so are the weights, but how often do you keep track of how much your bow weighs anyway?

also, it's not a race-specific weapon, just that Elves have familiarity with it; anyone can use an Elven Longbow by taking the Exotic Weapon Proficiency, but Elves can use it with only Martial WP.

Also, as to what makes it Elven: If you read the Gosal and Elven Longbow descriptions, I kinda touch on this. It's a specific construction that's a secret held by the elves. Elven Longbows are more powerful than any other bow, and elves have used them for ages to defeat their foes. Gosal himself as an early Elven leader (before his deification) has a special connection with Elven Longbows.

Matthew
2007-06-28, 11:31 PM
Wait a second, how does Weapon Familiarity work again? Does it let Elves treat Exotic Elf Weapons as Martial Weapons? Oh well, if so, fair enough.

Hm... I generally skip over the new items sections in the splatbooks, I'd never really looked at that before. To answer your question, now that I've looked at the Greatbow, these are the differences:

1) Elven Longbows are all composite; additionally, they all have the same effective str bonus (+10) for the base price
Yeah, and here's where it is probably way overpowered for it's price. A Composite Great Bow would be 2,200 GP to allow Strength +10. Add Masterwork and it becomes 2,500. This Elf Bow is too cheap at 750 GP and allows any Strength Modifier inbetween and has a greater range and is apparently not even worth an Exotic Weapon Proficiency to Elves.

also, it's not a race-specific weapon, just that Elves have familiarity with it; anyone can use an Elven Longbow by taking the Exotic Weapon Proficiency, but Elves can use it with only Martial WP.
A rose by any other name. Thin Blades, Light Blades, Court Blades and now Elven Great Bows, they are all race specific weapons, in the sense that they are all super secretly produced by Elves. Not my cup of tea, but I'm just one voice. My aesthetic objections take second precedence to my mechanical objections. This Bow should probably be something like 5,000 GP.

brian c
2007-06-29, 12:00 AM
Wait a second, how does Weapon Familiarity work again? Does it let Elves treat Exotic Elf Weapons as Martial Weapons? Oh well, if so, fair enough.

Yeah, and here's where it is probably way overpowered for it's price. A Composite Great Bow would be 2,200 GP to allow Strength +10. Add Masterwork and it becomes 2,500. This Elf Bow is too cheap at 750 GP and allows any Strength Modifier inbetween and has a greater range and is apparently not even worth an Exotic Weapon Proficiency to Elves.

A rose by any other name. Thin Blades, Light Blades, Court Blades and now Elven Great Bows, they are all race specific weapons, in the sense that they are all super secretly produced by Elves. Not my cup of tea, but I'm just one voice. My aesthetic objections take second precedence to my mechanical objections. This Bow should probably be something like 5,000 GP.

Good point, I'll probably make it a lot more expensive. If it makes you feel any better, no Elven thinblades/courtblades in my game. I agree that those are pretty ridiculous, although they aren't the only racial weapons (gnome hooked hammer and that turtle thing, dwarven ugrosh and axe buckler, orc double axe)

Blackbrrd
2007-06-29, 06:47 AM
In the requirements, put in "Has to worship Gosal". That way you remove possible cheese by people taking cleric for 2 extra feats to qualify early for the PrC.

I would say that with all the abilities you have given the character, giving 1/2 divine spell progression is high powered.

Ranged power attack should be moved to level 5 or higher. It is a extremely useful ability, not something to put at level 1 for people "dipping" into PrC's

Giving the character true strike as a swift action together with ranged power attack is getting a bit close to broken as I see it. Make it a move action, and it is ok.

brian c
2007-06-29, 08:50 AM
In the requirements, put in "Has to worship Gosal". That way you remove possible cheese by people taking cleric for 2 extra feats to qualify early for the PrC.

I would say that with all the abilities you have given the character, giving 1/2 divine spell progression is high powered.

Ranged power attack should be moved to level 5 or higher. It is a extremely useful ability, not something to put at level 1 for people "dipping" into PrC's

Giving the character true strike as a swift action together with ranged power attack is getting a bit close to broken as I see it. Make it a move action, and it is ok.

Under requirements, it says "Deity: Gosal". I figured that would be clear enough.

Keep in mind that with this caster progression,

1) Clerics don't qualify for this very easily anyway unless they multiclass
2) I plan to use the cloistered cleric variant
3) Druids don't qualify easily either, and druids would wildshape anyway

As for the "dipping" issue, my general philosophy is that the DM (me, in this case) needs to be paying attention and make sure that characters don't excessively do that. I might add some sort of requirement that you have to take all ten levels, but that seems to restrictive for a chaotic god.

Matthew
2007-07-02, 01:45 PM
If it makes you feel any better, no Elven thinblades/courtblades in my game. I agree that those are pretty ridiculous, although they aren't the only racial weapons (gnome hooked hammer and that turtle thing, dwarven ugrosh and axe buckler, orc double axe)

Heh, yeah, I have to admit I find all those things aesthetically displeasing, along with the Spiked Chain. Why on earth they didn't just create a Feat that lets Elves Finesse One Handed Weapons (like, for instance, Improved Weapon Finesse) I don't know. Instead they had to come up with some dumb sounding weapons that let them do that instead.