PDA

View Full Version : Crossbows at high level

dnd2016
2016-05-16, 02:54 PM
Is it hard to find magic xbows/bolts pass 5th level? Or are they pretty rare?

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-05-16, 02:57 PM
This is entirely DM dependent (or sometimes partly related to the module used, if any). Generally about as rare as magical longbows, halberds and any other weapon someone in the party uses.

Daishain
2016-05-16, 03:04 PM
It all depends on the DM.

I for instance have little patience with the established magic item availability. So I ensure that magic items of any stripe can be obtained (if in many cases with great difficulty), and constantly seek to expand the nature and variety of available enchantments. You might have to win a 1v1 arm wrestling match with a cloud giant to get your hands on something you specifically want, or pay a king's ransom for a custom enchantment, but it can be done.

However, if someone not only keeps magic items relatively rare, but only allows magic items directly from the list found in the DMG, then yes, magic crossbows will be very tough to find. In fact, if I recall correctly, only +x crossbows are available under those conditions, the default list didn't include more imaginative enchantments for that class of weapon.

Joxeta
2016-05-16, 04:58 PM
To add to this, I'd say not only DM dependent, but also setting dependent.

I'm sure that when we finally get one, the Eberron book is going to have vastly more items for folks to loot, purchase, and/or use.

Spacehamster
2016-05-16, 05:02 PM
DM dependent mostly, when I DM i ask beforehand what my friends are going to play so I can put in fitting rewards here and there so everyone gets something useful. :)