PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept

GypsyDangerZone
2016-05-20, 12:33 PM
Ok, kinda new to the site so not sure if this is where I should post, but I had a fun idea for the next Pathfinder campagian I join playing as a Teifling rogue. He's pretty much your standard rogue, but I was looking at the races inherent elemental resistance. My idea was I'd have him carrying around a rather large barrel off lamp oil in his backpack, and once we have a boss fight basically cover the area in oil and light the place up, using the flames to hide in and basically getting a bunch of backstage off. Just curious if the GMs here would even allow such a thing, or would you basically see it as death by stupidity.

Already aware I probably need to get my party out of the room, but what's yalls take on this idea.

Geddy2112
2016-05-20, 01:37 PM
Since your idea is for PF, it would be better in the 3.5/PF subforum.

That said, sure, you could load up on oil and set the place ablaze. However, the damage is abyssmal, as lamp oil only does 1d3 and burns for 2 rounds unless there is something in the room that can catch. Likewise, you are not the only thing with fire resistance and some things have immunity. It is certainly something you could do, and I don't think any DM would disallow it, as it is not really very powerful. Now, if you do this in a city as a sideshow act...that could be kinda nifty. Could be a fire dancer bard or something...

GypsyDangerZone
2016-05-20, 01:51 PM
My apologies for the placement, if a mod or someone could move it ' d appreciate it.

While the extra damage would be nice, I was actually wanting it to be basically engulf the battle area in flames and use the flames to give me a bonus to stealth rolls so I could attempt to get a good amount of sneak attacks then rehiding, kinda a hit and run idea.

I do like the fire dancer idea though I had kind of envisioned his background being raised by a traveling troupe.

OldTrees1
2016-05-20, 02:05 PM
One potential problem is the height of the flame (since "Hiding" implies you want large enough flames for concealment). I don't think I would allow a thin coat of oil that caught on fire to grant those kind of flames. However I would want to work with you to find something that would (some kind of tumbleweeds maybe?).

nedz
2016-05-20, 02:22 PM
My apologies for the placement, if a mod or someone could move it ' d appreciate it.

Report your own first post (that's the little triangle bottom-left) and ask them to move it.

GypsyDangerZone
2016-05-20, 02:43 PM
One potential problem is the height of the flame (since "Hiding" implies you want large enough flames for concealment). I don't think I would allow a thin coat of oil that caught on fire to grant those kind of flames. However I would want to work with you to find something that would (some kind of tumbleweeds maybe?).

I can see that, maybe alchemist fire could give the height I'm looking for, especially since it doesn't go out apparently unless smothered. It would be a bit more expensive to get enough to coat an area though.

P.S. reported the first post to get it moved

Jay R
2016-05-21, 08:54 AM
The crucial issue is that you've already seen how your visualization of it isn't necessarily somebody else's, and it can effect whether it works or not. So tell the DM the plan first, and try it out in private. Find out what the DM thinks it would do.

Don't try something new in melee. Get practice first, just like you would with a sword.

[If I were trying such a thing, I'd ask the DM if I could invent a related skill, oil spreading or some such, and taking ranks in it.]