PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Expert Class [peach]

Stan
2016-05-21, 06:13 PM
The link below has a new class, the expert, for 5e, which focuses more on skills and less on direct combat. Fiver archetypes are included. Sorry, the formatting/layout is primitive. I'm afraid that i'm also too tired right now for pretty flavor text so it's mostly explanatory text.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lBvEdG5BwLb5oL2_o59DgBAkJsImV7zU2mS_XzCH-7U/edit?usp=sharing

Final Hyena
2016-05-21, 06:29 PM
A level 1 Rogue gets 4 skills a tool and two expertise (and sneak attack).
A level 1 Expert gets 3 skills a tool and two expertise.

I would give the Expert another skill and another expertise.

Stan
2016-05-22, 06:14 AM
Good point. I had toned it down due to the flexibility and the extra expertises later. But I think I over did it. I've edited it to have one more tool/skill and one more expertise.

Looking at it now, I think it's evolved to be only slightly better at skills. The 4 free feats and the archetypes are what makes the class different now.

Belac93
2016-05-22, 12:43 PM
I like this class quite a lot. It seems pretty well designed.

Amnoriath
2016-05-22, 01:52 PM
Good point. I had toned it down due to the flexibility and the extra expertises later. But I think I over did it. I've edited it to have one more tool/skill and one more expertise.

Looking at it now, I think it's evolved to be only slightly better at skills. The 4 free feats and the archetypes are what makes the class different now.

Well it can be proficient in many things not only does it have less Expertise than the Rogue it has none of the action economy or the punch. While I understand it is modeled from an NPC class and is contextually better the lack of real unique features begs the question on the necessity of it in a group. It is pretty much all utility and while that may be the point unless they are the spell casting archetypes the other two will feel outclassed by every one else in the battle department, especially the Artisan.
As for specific problems the Mystic is all kinds of broken. Resistance is outright better than Fiendish Resilience and comes earlier. Immunity might as well just be a "No" button and has a typo(15th, correct?). It also gets 3 other abilities outside of its sub-class levels. So considering it will have Foresight always on it is almost untouchable.

Stan
2016-05-22, 03:49 PM
Even spellcasting archetypes are going to be weak in straight combat - that's intentional. They're not hopeless. Artisans and hedge wizards are likely to have more magic items than everyone else as they can make their own. The trickster can control/debuff certain monsters. But really, they're made for campaigns that are low in combat. Also for NPCs.

The mystic is intended to be the most defensive class. A big motivation was scenes in movies where a Buddhist monk sits and prays and their enlightenment makes them immune to everything the bad guy can throw at them. But they have almost no offensive capability. It makes sense that resistance is better than fiendish resilience as the warlock also gets offensive options that a mystic can even come close to.

An 18th level mystic might have a 6th level illusion or transmutation ready to go before a combat. After that, they've got nothing beyond hitting with a staff once a round with no specials. One on one would be a stalemate but they can't resist everything vs a group.

Thanks for the feedback. I might switch resistance to a bonus action so it can't react and make immunity a limited number like as many as their wisdom bonus per short rest.

Amnoriath
2016-05-22, 05:38 PM
Even spellcasting archetypes are going to be weak in straight combat - that's intentional. They're not hopeless. Artisans and hedge wizards are likely to have more magic items than everyone else as they can make their own. The trickster can control/debuff certain monsters. But really, they're made for campaigns that are low in combat. Also for NPCs.

The mystic is intended to be the most defensive class. A big motivation was scenes in movies where a Buddhist monk sits and prays and their enlightenment makes them immune to everything the bad guy can throw at them. But they have almost no offensive capability. It makes sense that resistance is better than fiendish resilience as the warlock also gets offensive options that a mystic can even come close to.

An 18th level mystic might have a 6th level illusion or transmutation ready to go before a combat. After that, they've got nothing beyond hitting with a staff once a round with no specials. One on one would be a stalemate but they can't resist everything vs a group.

Thanks for the feedback. I might switch resistance to a bonus action so it can't react and make immunity a limited number like as many as their wisdom bonus per short rest.
1. Hence why I said only the spell casters are the only real choices. Your Trickster is completely dependent on a wisdom save that targets one or just 2 enemies at a time at level 15. It can't even use its bonus action constantly. Artisans are more dependent off of loot than others and it doesn't have any features that say they are the best ones to use them.
2. Except that you give them a meditation use for each of your 4 schools aside from Divination rituals. Abjuration has damaging spells and Foresight requires no concentration plus Hunter's Mark is divination. Your Divination is an exception to that rule as it says half your level. While it lacks the consistent offense the point being is that it has the same potential as many other full-casters with new combinations so a few choice spells(Polymorph, Spirit Guardians,..etc) can help them in that department while being almost impervious. Even if you would limit Immunity like that all it takes is a use or two to shut down an opponents offenses to you. But what really irks me about the class is its 3, maybe four abilities outside of its sub-class levels. If you need to do that with it than it needs to be redrafted.