PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Pact: Kraken (5e)

fattybear
2016-05-27, 11:34 AM
I've been experimenting around with a Kraken patron. Not sure how balanced it is but hopefully it is a reasonable start?

Warlock Patron: Kraken

Blessing of the Kraken
Starting at level 1, you gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed and can breathe underwater indefinitely. You learn the tentacle whip cantrip, similar to the thorn whip cantrip except it deals bludgeoning damage instead of piercing. If you successfully hit the creature, you can choose to bring the creature 10 feet closer or grapple the target if it is Large or smaller in size. You may grapple up to two creatures at a time. If you move farther than 30 feet away from a grappled target, the grapple ends.

Fling
At level 6, as an action, one Large or smaller object held or creature grappled by a Tentacle Whip is thrown up to 60 feet in a random direction and knocked prone. If a thrown target strikes a solid surface, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown. If the target is thrown at another creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone. You cannot use this feature again until after a short or long rest.

One with the Storms
You gain the kraken's legendary immunity to the storms at level 10. You are now immune to lightning damage.

Ink Cloud
At level 14, as an action, you release an ink cloud which covers a 60 foot radius. The cloud spreads around corners and the area is heavily obscured to creatures other than you. Each creature that ends its turn in the cloud must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or sustain 3d10 acid damage. The cloud disappears at the end of your next turn. You may not use this feature again until after a short or long rest.

Expanded Pact Spells List
L1: Entangle
L2: Web
L3: Call Lightning
L4: Control Water
L5: Evard's Black Tentacles
L8: Control Weather (as your Mystic Arcanum for 8th level spell slot)

Pact Boon
Pact of the Tentacle: When you use your action to cast Tentacle Whip or expend a Pact spell slot during your turn, as a bonus action, you may cast tentacle whip at a creature that is not already grappled by one of your tentacle whips.

New Invocations
Mighty Hold: You may grapple up to four Large or smaller creatures with Tentacle Whip at a time. You may attempt to grapple one Huge creature with Tentacle Whip. When you successfully grapple a Huge creature, you cannot grapple any other creature and must release any other creatures you currently have grappled.

No Escape: When a creature next to you attempts to move more than 5 feet away from you, you may use your reaction to cast Tentacle Whip on the creature.

Iron Grip (level 12): You may add your Strength Charisma modifier to your tentacle whip's damage. As a bonus action, you can tighten your hold on all creatures you currently have grappled. All these creatures are now restrained. You may do this a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier every long rest (a minimum of once).

Final Hyena
2016-05-27, 11:51 AM
This is disgusting! Disgustingly beautiful!

I would be tempted to make Iron grip charisma over strength as strength is not a great warlock stat (apart from 1 dip fighter).

Is there a reason for only 1 spell at each level of the expanded list?

fattybear
2016-05-27, 05:01 PM
Yea I wavered between STR and CHA for a while. I wasn't sure if CHA would be too good since it would be (3d6+5)x2 = 31 damage plus grappling. That damage is the same as agonizing blast eldritch blast: (d10+5)x3 = 31.5 damage. Granted EB has better range plus 10 foot push back so actually it is probably fine with CHA. Figured it was safer to play it weaker and revise upwards than the other way around.

I only chose 1 spell for each slot since they get a special pact boon and extra invocation options. They also get one additional option for the L8 mystic arcanum.

This is disgusting! Disgustingly beautiful!

I would be tempted to make Iron grip charisma over strength as strength is not a great warlock stat (apart from 1 dip fighter).

Is there a reason for only 1 spell at each level of the expanded list?

Final Hyena
2016-05-27, 05:15 PM
I only chose 1 spell for each slot since they get a special pact boon and extra invocation options.

Everyone gets a pact and invocations for said pact.

They also get one additional option for the L8 mystic arcanum.
When I read that I thought you were forced to take it.

Wranglyph
2016-05-30, 07:11 PM
The tentacle whip stuff is absolutely beautiful. :') Does that replace the eldritch blast?

fattybear
2016-05-30, 10:45 PM
No, eldritch blast is still on the table as an option, as well as all its usual invocations (agonizing blast, etc).

The tentacle whip stuff is absolutely beautiful. :') Does that replace the eldritch blast?