PDA

View Full Version : Fate Accelerated Sidekicks

Hawkflight
2016-06-01, 06:35 PM
Hi all, I have a simple question about Fate Accelerated. My character has a little sister she must look after, and so has her as an Aspect. My question is, what happens when she tried to do anything? Like, let's say she sneaks away and tries to pry open a door, or tries to sneak her way past a guard using her childish charms. How would I do that mechanically?

The character in question: https://dochub.com/eringruenzner/8n2w56/fillable-fate-accelerated-character-sheet#

Fri
2016-06-01, 10:52 PM
Dunno about fate accelerated specifically, but if you've already built her as aspect for your character, that means you use them as aspect, as simple as that.

So if she sneaks away and try to pry a door. Does that complicate manners to you, by drawing attention? You get a fate point. Does that make things go your way? By making the door easier to open, for example. That means you pay fate point to use her as aspect. Or you could use her as partner-in-crime if you want to charm a motherly type who like to pamper young children. Pay fate point for that.

If you don't pay or get fate point, she's there basically as your character accompaniment, like your ancestral weapon, or your flamboyant personality.

Edit: Here's example of how I'd do it in my usual Fate game.

For example you want to open a locked door. You roll fate dice and you got +2, but it's not enough to open it, so you use your "meddling little sister" aspect to add +2 to your roll, so now you can open it. What's the fluff? It's up to you. Depending on the GM, but for example it can be explained as "little sister explain things to you" or "little sister kicks the door and the jammed lockpick move to place" or even retcon it as "my little sister had opened it from the beginning."

That's just my take anyway. I hope this is close to what you're asking. If not, I'm sure someone else could help :).

Hawkflight
2016-06-02, 12:13 AM
Well the thing is, I was hoping to have her act independently fairly often, helping or messing things up without having to be hemorrhaging Fate points like a fresh amputee (what an odd metaphor). I was thinking I could just have her act on the main mare's stats, but that brings up the problem of what happens if that would put me in two places at once (also the question of how is a child as capable as an adult, but whatever). The DM suggested I just stat her up with inferior stats (1/1/0/0/0/0) and treat her as an NPC. I was hoping to find out if there were any other, better options.

Takewo
2016-06-02, 04:32 AM
If you want her to act independently, then the best option is that she be treated as an independent character. A way to do it would be adding an extra named "sidekick" and giving a couple aspects and a stunt (or something like that) to it. It could even be a group thing (i.e. everybody in the group has a say in what aspects and stunts she gets and can "control" her).

Anonymouswizard
2016-06-02, 05:47 AM
Well the thing is, I was hoping to have her act independently fairly often, helping or messing things up without having to be hemorrhaging Fate points like a fresh amputee (what an odd metaphor). I was thinking I could just have her act on the main mare's stats, but that brings up the problem of what happens if that would put me in two places at once (also the question of how is a child as capable as an adult, but whatever). The DM suggested I just stat her up with inferior stats (1/1/0/0/0/0) and treat her as an NPC. I was hoping to find out if there were any other, better options.

My biggest issue with Fate Accelerated is the lack of extras (my second is it's more of an actual game and less of a toolkit than Fate Core is), bits that don't fit into the categories of 'Aspects, Skills (or Approaches), and Stunts' that characters might want to take. They can be modelled using Aspects, Skills, or Stunts of course, but they can also be modelled as characters or just collections of rules (e.g. you have the MAGIC!! Extra and so can use Lore to Attack and Defend).

For an example Sidekick Extra:
Annoying Little Sister
Permissions: the aspect 'my annoying little sister'.
You have a little sister who follows you around, annoying, but occasionally useful. Your sister gets one or two Aspects to describe her, although no Fate Points of her own, no Stress boxes or Consequence slots, and one skill/approach, 'Annoying Little Sister' at Fair (+2) which she can use to roll for things an annoying little sister would be good at (e.g. looking cute, driving people insane, forcing you to wear makeup, refusing to change the channel...)