PDA

View Full Version : help with swordmage of ensnarement.

Night Eternal
2016-06-02, 02:21 PM
my dm has given me the option to play a swordmage in 5e that he has found on this website http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Swordmage_(5e_Class)

the swordmage assault is great but any idea for ensnarement

this is what the website says:

Creating a Swordmage[edit]

As a Swordmage you gain the following class features.

Hit Points[edit]

Hit Dice: 1d10 per Swordmage level
Hit Points at 1st Level: + Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + Constitution modifier per Swordmage level after 1st

Proficiencies[edit]

Armor: light, medium
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skills: Choose three skills from Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, Deception, History, Investigation, Perception, Stealth

Equipment[edit]

You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
(a) Rapier or (b) Two other finesse weapons
(a) Light armor and two daggers or (b) Medium armor
(a) A Dungeoneer's Pack or (b) An Explorers Pack

Level

Proficiency
Bonus

Features

Cantrips Known

Spells Known

—Spell Slots per Spell Level—

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

1st +2 Spellcasting, Swordmage Aegis, Swordbond 4 — — — — — —
2nd +2 Swordmage Warding 4 2 2 — — — —
3rd +2 Arcane Strike 4 3 3 — — — —
4th +2 Ability Score Improvement 4 3 3 — — — —
5th +3 Aegis Feature, Extra Attack 4 4 4 2 — — —
6th +3 — 4 4 4 2 — — —
7th +3 — 5 5 4 3 — — —
8th +3 Ability Score Improvement, Swordbond Improvement 5 5 4 3 — — —
9th +4 Aegis Feature 5 6 4 3 2 — —
10th +4 — 5 6 4 3 2 — —
11th +4 — 5 7 4 3 3 — —
12th +4 Ability Score Improvement, Swordmage Warding improvement 5 7 4 3 3 — —
13th +5 Aegis Feature 6 8 4 3 3 1 —
14th +5 — 6 8 4 3 3 1 —
15th +5 — 6 9 4 3 3 2 —
16th +5 Ability Score Improvement 6 9 4 3 3 2 —
17th +6 Aegis Feature 6 10 4 3 3 3 1
18th +6 — 6 10 4 3 3 3 1
19th +6 Ability Score Improvement 7 11 4 3 3 3 2
20th +6 Aegis Feature 7 11 4 3 3 3 2

Class Features[edit]

Spellcasting[edit]

As a Swordmage, and student of Arcane magic, you have learned spells for fighting and other tasks.

Cantrips[edit]

At 1st level, you know four Cantrips of your choice. You learn additional Cantrips from the Wizard spell list, as shown in the Swordmage table.

Spell Slots[edit]

The Swordmage table shows you how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of first level or higher. To cast one of these wizards spells, you must expend a spell slot of the spells level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest. For example, if you know the 1st level burning hands and have a 1st and 2nd level spell slot available, you can cast burning hands using either slot.

Spells Known of 1st level and Higher[edit]

At 2nd level, you know two 1st level spells of your choice from the wizard spell list. The Spells Known Column of the Swordmage table shows when you learn new wizard spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 5th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the wizards spells you know and replace it with another spell from the wizard spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability[edit]

Intelligence

Swordmage Aegis[edit]

At 1st level, you choose a Swordmage aegis. This will give you features when you gain certain levels.

Swordbond[edit]

You may bond with your weapon by meditating with it during a short rest. This will let you call the sword to your hand if you are on the same plane of existence as it. You may bond to up to two weapons at once

Swordmage Warding[edit]

Beginning at second level, you gain a +1 bonus to AC while conscious. This increases to +2 at 12th level.

Arcane Strike[edit]

Beginning at 3rd level, you may expend a spell slot when you make an attack with your sword. It does 1d6 extra damage for each spell slot level.

Extra Attack[edit]

Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. You can use this to cast a spell which only takes one action.

Swordmage Aegis[edit]

Swordmages combine blade and magic to fight. How they use that combination is different. Some think of the sword just a defense and throw long range bolts of magic. Others use both the magic and the sword for assault, just using the warding to help them not get hit. A small number of them are just little tricksters. They use illusions and hit when there enemy is confused.

Aegis of Assault[edit]

The Aegis of Assault is a very physical one. Swordmage's who choose the Aegis of Assault gain many abilities allowing them to bypass an enemy's defense.

Manablade
When you choose this Aegis at first level, you gain knowledge of an enemy's weaknesses and resistances. Additionally, when you succeed on a melee attack roll, you may choose to deal 1d4 less damage of your weapon's type. Deal the same amount of damage in a damage type of your choosing.
Iron Flurry
Beginning at 5th level, when you make a attack roll, but before it is decided as a hit or miss, you may choose one. You may do this a number of time equal to your Dexterity modifier (minimum of 1) + your proficiency modifier before a long rest. Rapid Attack: If you chose this effect when making an attack, if you hit, you may roll a number of 4-sided dice equal to your Dexterity modifier + 1 and deal damage of the same type as your weapon. Bolt Strike: If you chose this effect when making an attack, you may add 1d6 to your attack roll and deal 1d6 lightning damage instantly. Nervous Jab: If you chose this effect when making an attack and hit, the target must make a Constitution saving throw of 10 + your dexterity modifier + your proficiency modifier. Magic Pulse: If you chose the effect when making an attack, you may cast a spell, expending a spell slot of one level higher. That spell affects all creatures within 10 feet of you. This improves to 20 feet when you reach 13th level, and 30 at 17th.
Primal Dance
Beginning at 9th level, whenever you make an attack roll, or cast a spell, you may also cast a spell of 1st level or lower without expending a spell slot. At 13th, you may cast a spell of 2nd level or lower, at 17th a spell of 3rd or lower.
Improved Manablade
Beginning at 13th level, you know the armor class and current health of an enemy. Additionally, whenever you make a melee attack roll and succeed, you may deal damage of any type (except bludgeoning, piercing or slashing) equal to your Intelligence score
Magic Flurry
Beginning at 17th level, whenever you make an attack roll, or cast a spell, you may choose one. You may do this a number of times equal to your Intellect modifier (minimum of 1) + your proficiency modifier before a long rest. Mass Casting: If you chose this effect when attacking or casting a spell, you may instantly cast 3 or less of the same cantrip that you know Quick Casting: If you chose this effect when casting a spell, if it requires an amount of time or material components, you need only half as much. Magic Army: If you chose this effect when attacking or casting a spell, you may cast a spell such as Summon Elemental, Creation, or Raise Dead instantly. You must still provide any material components. If you already know such a spell, you only need half as many components.
Archblade
Beginning at 20th level, if you make an attack or cast a spell that requires a roll to hit, you may use your Intellect or Dexterity score. If either score is 20, this does not count as a critical hit; rather, you roll a d10 and if it lands on 10, it is a critical. Otherwise, add the number to the damage. Additionally, if a spell would have you roll for an effect, or an attack for damage, you instead may choose.
Aegis of Deception[edit]

Aegis of Protection[edit]

The Aegis of Protection gains many benefits from their agility and toughness. They can often face multiple enemies without much harm.

Iron Skin
Beginning at 1st level when you choose this Aegis, your unarmored defense is 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier.
Shield Spells
Beginning at 5th level, you may bind a shield to yourself, and can cast spells with a hand that holds a shield. Also, your shield can be your arcane focus.
Agility Ward
Beginning at 9th level, when you make a roll requiring or using Dexterity, add your Dexterity modifier once over to your AC until the beginning of your next turn, without any limitations.
Steel Hero
Beginning at 13th level, you may add your proficiency modifier to your AC. Also, you gain resistance to slashing, piercing and bludgeoning.
Shield of the Arcane
Beginning at 17th level, whenever you are attacked, choose 1. You may do this a number of times equal to your Constitution modifier + your Intellect modifier. Grand Nerves: When you are attacked, gain temporary hit points of your Con. modifier times 6. Arcane Barriers: When you are attacked, add your Intellect modifier to your armor class. Shield Rush: When you are attacked, you may attempt to knock prone your enemy before they hit. The saving throw is the target's natural armor class.
Adamantine Hero
Beginning at 20th level, you gain resistance to all damage types except slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing, to which you take 5 or less damage only, and psychic.

Sicarius Victis
2016-06-07, 07:39 PM
Honestly, I'd have to say you could find a better homebrew than that. Not intended as an insult to either the homebrew or its creator, but that's pretty dull. IIRC, there's a reason 5e classes generally don't include "dead levels" where you get nothing but an extra Hit Die. If you want a Swordmage, I'd have to suggest this one:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?412947-5e-Swordmage-(Half-casting-two-subclass-variant)

It's similar to a hybrid between a Paladin and a Bladelock, and includes some rather interesting options, such as the Arcane Discipline of Embranglement.

Also: I'm rather new to using forums, so if there are any unwritten laws such as "don't advertise other people's homebrews exactly how I just did it" then a) I'm sorry for breaking any of them, and b) I didn't know about them, so c) Please tell me about them.
I'm not saying I think I broke any "unwritten laws", but I figured I'd do this just to be sure.

Night Eternal
2016-06-09, 01:28 PM
omg that is perfect thank you so much. I wasn't that found of the one provided it was interesting but kind of dull. im playing an ek knight and my dm asked me if I wanted to try out. I was hesitant but was deciding a I guess. this is much better.