PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Demi-Tyche [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2016-06-04, 06:36 PM
The program I use for making PDFs is currently undergoing maintenance, and I will upload a PDF once it is up again.

Demi-tyche

"THE DEMI-TYCHE, OR LUCKBORN, IN THE COMMON tongue, are a race of people who possess extremely fast reflexes and excel in combat. Their origin is somewhat shrouded in mystery, but it is known that they were a nation who performed a great deed for Tyche, the goddess of luck. She imbued the nation with some of her power, in an act of gratitude."

------From 'Hyral's Census of Valorus', a tome catalouing the various races that call Valorus their home

Divine Influence
Tyche blessed the luckborn with her powers at their inception, after their nation performed a great deed in her name. Since then, their nation has become one of the most widespread demi-humans, other than elves and dwarves. Their abilities made them a proud people, however, and Telas saw fit to humble them. He took hold of the luckborn's connection to the Weave, and sundered it, completely cutting the luckborn off from the magic of the universe. Since then, many have tried to become clerics or warlocks, but to no avail, for Telas has not seen fit to mend their connection to the weave.

Quick Reflexes
The luckborn are an extremely dexterous people, having agility on par with an elf or a halfling. Their swift movements make them hard to track in battle, and their strikes land with near perfect precision. The luckborn do not often back down from a fight, but instead fly into the fray head on, trusting Tyche to protect them and guide their blades.

Devoted to Luck and Chance
The luckborn are the only people who still worship Tyche, and she has tried many times to convince Telas to relent and restore their connection to the Weave, so that she might create clerics once more. Telas has been stubborn in this, however, and Tyche has instead taught them to be incredible healers using the natural world around them. Indeed, many of the luckborn become an acolyte of Tyche, but they cannot bring about her will in the world through any magical means.

Demi-tyche Names
Luckborn tend to use human names, due to their heritage.

Demi-tyche Traits
Tyche's blessing lies upon you, conferring the following traits.

Ability Score Increase. You Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.

Age. Demi-tyche mature at the same rate as humans, but live to be around 150 years old.

Alignment. Demi-tyche don't see the world in terms of good and evil, they see the world in terms of fortunate and unfortunate. You tend strongly towards a neutral alignment.

Size Demi-tyche have a similar build to a human, but they are more lithe, standing somewhere between 5 and 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. Your connection to the Astral Plane blesses you with the ability to see through dim and dark conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light.

Demi-tyche Nimbleness. You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than you.

Lucky. When you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.

Lucky Strike. When you score a critical hit with a weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon's damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

Steady Eye. You gain proficiency with the Perception skill.

Language. You can speak, read, and write Common and another language of your choice.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-06-04, 06:42 PM
I like the fluff. Actually, I love the fluff. :smallbiggrin: You should be fine, mechanically speaking. You're a halfling who swapped out their subrace to be Medium have +5 movement, darkvision (situational at best, useless in most games) + perception, and the half-orc's crit ability.

Final Hyena
2016-06-04, 06:49 PM
A quick comparison against the Halfling shows them to be fairly comparable, I think yours is a smidgen better, but meh.
Demi-tyche
Stats +3
Darkvision
Move through large +
Lucky
Savage (& ranged)
Skill

Halfling
Stats +3
Move through medium +
Lucky
-5 speed
adv ~ frightened
advantage on poison
poison resistance

Take away

Demi-tyche
Darkvision
Savage (& ranged)
Skill

Halfling
Move through medium
-5 speed
adv ~ frightened
advantage on poison
poison resistance

Requiemforlust
2016-06-04, 07:10 PM
I'm gonna echo the comments of Gandalf and Hyena :smallsmile:

zeek0
2016-06-05, 01:41 AM
I really like it! I think that it would be great to have a history written up - the favor that the race did for Tyche oughtn't be a mystery, but keenly displayed. And a history about how they insulted Telas would be great as well.

I disagree only with your inclusion of Darkvision. Darkvision is not thematic with this race, is relatively boring, and is not unique (only human, dragonborn, and halflings don't have darkvision). I would find something comparably powerful, but conceptually cool.

I think that a spell-less variant ranger is of great benefit for this class, and should be offered as an option to players.

Good work!

DracoKnight
2016-06-05, 02:12 AM
I really like it! I think that it would be great to have a history written up - the favor that the race did for Tyche oughtn't be a mystery, but keenly displayed. And a history about how they insulted Telas would be great as well.

I disagree only with your inclusion of Darkvision. Darkvision is not thematic with this race, is relatively boring, and is not unique (only human, dragonborn, and halflings don't have darkvision). I would find something comparably powerful, but conceptually cool.

I think that a spell-less variant ranger is of great benefit for this class, and should be offered as an option to players.

Good work!

I'm glad you like it! Darkvision was included mainly because they got it from the blessing of a celestial.

The spell-less ranger is available in my games, another class this would be good for would be the Champion

zeek0
2016-06-05, 06:50 AM
Darkvision was included mainly because they got it from the blessing of a celestial

I'm unfamiliar with the lore. But unless Tyche is a god/ess of light, fire, or revelation, I don't understand your reason.

But no worries, I can see the connection between abrahamic celestials and the warding off of darkness - it can do.