PDA

View Full Version : Character Sheet Management

Q. Flestrin
2016-06-06, 11:33 AM
I am currently trying to run a play-by-post game (elsewhere, I'm just dropping into the Playground for advice) and am stymied about managing character sheets in such a way that both I and the players can see them. Do you know of any way to manage sheets that doesn't involve having to make the players register for some sheet-hosting site? The ideal solution would be something like an "anyone with the link can edit" Google Doc, but Google Docs doesn't allow editing of PDFs.

(If this is in the wrong section, I apologize; I just couldn't think of a better place to put it.)

Morcleon
2016-06-06, 11:48 AM
The myth-weavers registration is fairly simple and is the best option for online character sheets. Any option that does not require registration would also have a lack of security. Also, google docs requires registration too, and it doesn't have innate optimization for character sheets.

Xapi
2016-06-06, 02:35 PM
I am currently trying to run a play-by-post game (elsewhere, I'm just dropping into the Playground for advice) and am stymied about managing character sheets in such a way that both I and the players can see them. Do you know of any way to manage sheets that doesn't involve having to make the players register for some sheet-hosting site? The ideal solution would be something like an "anyone with the link can edit" Google Doc, but Google Docs doesn't allow editing of PDFs.

(If this is in the wrong section, I apologize; I just couldn't think of a better place to put it.)

If you have time, you can always make a spreadsheet that resembles the RPG sheet you need, and use google doc.

ComaVision
2016-06-06, 03:08 PM
You can likely find an excel template of whatever character sheet you want with a quick Google search. If not, they aren't that hard to make.

PrincessCupcake
2016-06-07, 06:49 AM
If you are running Pathfinder, there's a google docs sheet floating around the internet that is completely editable. (spreadsheet based, and programmed entirely in Google Drive. So you should be able to use the advanced permissions just fine after copying the sheet to your drive.)

If you are not using Pathfinder, it isn't that hard to just use a blank google document to type out a character sheet the long way. It doesn't take tons of time, but requires a fair bit of copying and pasting. Not the most viable if you are working entirely out of physical copies of the book(s). This fix can also be applied to forum posts.

There are also editable pdfs around for most systems. If you use one of those, just ask your players to send you new copies directly whenever they make a change. Certain systems have Character Builder programs available as well (mainly 3.5, Pathfinder, and 5e) but some of those require purchasing software. This would simply have your players sending you copies of the files.

Q. Flestrin
2016-06-07, 07:37 AM
Google Sheets sounds like it's going to be my best option, and it shouldn't be too hard to recreate. Thanks.