PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Arachnoid Race (PEACH)

Ralcos
2016-06-07, 04:40 PM
Just an idea for a race that I had, and decided to develop.
Hopefully, you guys like it!

The Arachnoids
There are intelligent spiders. God, help us now…

RACIAL TRAITS
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
Age. Arachnoids reach adulthood around 5 years of age, and have an average lifespan of 60 years.
Alignment. Arachnoids prefer to follow the alignment of their Bloodline, though otherwise can have any alignment. The best and the worst can come from the Arachnoid people.
Size. Standing on their legs, the Arachnoids average around 7 foot in height, and have light frames averaging 100 pounds in weight. Your size is Medium.
Speed. You have a base walking speed of 30 feet. In addition, you have a base climb speed of 30 feet, allowing you to use part or all of your movement action to move on vertical surfaces without spending any extra actions to climb.
Darkvision. Arachnoids are used to living in dark places or under the moonlight as pseudo-nocturnal predators. You can see in dim light within 60 feet as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You cannot discern colors in darkness, only shades of grey.
Spider Body. Arachnoids, compared to other sentient races, have a strange body. Having a central torso, abdomen, and eight long legs makes them different, and thus suffer bonuses and penalties as listed below.

Armor costs three times the normal price, due to your strange body shape. Can still wield Shields, but costs are still tripled.
Cannot wield weapons normally, due to not having hands or opposable thumbs. You can use your mandibles to wield weapons, but you take Disdadvantage on all attack rolls with weapons with the Heavy property.
Mandibles can be used to complete tasks involving precision (including lockpicking, picking pockets, writing, drawing, etc.) Can be used for somatic and verbal components when casting spells, and can use material components if a task requires them. Mandibles can be used to wield weapons
Cannot physically speak.
Having multiple eyes grants you training in the Perception skill.
Due to your set of legs, you have Advantage on saving throws against forced movement and being knocked prone.

Natural Attack. You have a natural melee bite attack that you are proficient in, that has the Light and Finesse keywords. When you hit with this attack, you can either deal 1d8 + your (Strength OR Dexterity) modifier in Piercing damage OR you can place the Poisoned condition on your target for 1d4 minutes. You must spend a Long Rest to regain the Poisoned ability.
Limited Telepathy. You may use telepathy to communicate with any willing creature within 30 feet that knows a language.
Languages. Arachnoids can understand and are literate in the Common and Undercommon languages.
Bloodlines. Each Arachnoid is born into a bloodline, families of species that are physically, mentally, and culturally different from each other. Choose one of these bloodlines.

Longstrider Bloodline (True Neutral)
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Longstrider. This Arachnoid bloodline is known for their longer legs. Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet, and your base climbing speed is increased to 35 feet.

Mountainkin Bloodline (Lawful Neutral)
Mountain’s Toughness. Your Hit Point maximum increases by 1, and increases by 1 every time you gain a level.

Junglehood Bloodline (Chaotic Neutral)
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Mask of the Wild. You can attempt to hide even when you are lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.

Etherialhood Bloodline (Any Alignment)
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Cantrip. You know one cantrip of your choice from the Wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for the cantrip.

Celestial Bloodline (Neutral Good)
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Celestial Resistance. You have Resistance to Radiant damage.
Divine Gifts. You know the Sacred Flame cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Protection from Evil and Good spell once per Long Rest. When you reach 5th level, you can also cast the Gentle Repose spell once per Long Rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Languages. In addition to Common and Undercommon, you can understand and are literate in the Celestial language.

Infernal/Abyssal Bloodline (Neutral Evil)
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Infernal/Abyssal Resistance. You have Resistance to Fire damage.
Infernal/Abyssal Gifts. You know the Prestidigitation cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Hellish Rebuke spell once per Long Rest. When you reach 5th level, you can also cast the Invisibility spell once per Long Rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Widow Bloodline (Neutral Evil)
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Female. This Bloodline only has females in its ranks.
Superior Darkvision. Your darkvision has a radius of 120 feet.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have Disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
Poisonous Strike. You can choose for your natural bite attack to deal Poison damage instead of Piercing damage.
Resilience. You have Advantage on saving throws against poison, and have Resistance to Poison damage.

Weaver's Eye Bloodline (Any Alignment)
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Gifted Weavers. You gain proficiency in the use of Weaver's Tools.
Natural Spidersilk. Those within the Weaver's Eye Bloodline naturally create a strong web material that can be used in the following ways:

Can cover or create a surface area within 15 feet (Covers 1 square foot for every 2 levels, to a maximum of 10 square feet at 20th level). Used in this way, the affected area can support up to 1000 lbs).
Can spray a webbing around one target within 15 feet. The target must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC = 8 + Proficiency Bonus + your Dexterity Modifier) or become Restrained until cut loose with either a DC 15 Strength check, taking 15 Slashing damage in one hit, or taking any Fire damage.
As a Bonus Action, you can make an attack roll against one target within 15 feet (Attack Bonus = Dexterity Modifier + Proficiency Bonus). If you hit with this attack, you deal 1d6 + Dexterity Modifier Bludgeoning damage to the target. At 5th level, this damage increases to 2d6 + Dexterity modifier Bludgeoning damage. At 10th level, this damage again increases to 3d6 + Dexterity modifier Bludgeoning damage. At 15th level, this damage again increases to 4d6 + Dexterity modifier Bludgeoning damage. Finally, at 20th level, this damage again increases to 5d6 + Dexterity modifier Bludgeoning damage.

NOTE: If worked with for 1 weeks with a Weaver's Kit, this Spidersilk can be made into a set of Spidersilk Armor (listed below).

SPIDERSILK ARMOR
Light Armor
Cost: 50 gp
Armor Class: 13 + Dex modifier
Strength: N/A
Stealth: N/A
Weight: 4 lb.

SPECIAL QUALITIES
Spidersilk Armor grants Vulnerability to Fire damage. If any Fire damage is taken when wearing this armor, you must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC = 8 + Fire damage taken) or the armor is destroyed without hope for repair.

NOTE: I don't know if it is underpowered, overpowered, or just right. I'm just trying an experiment of making a non-humanoid playable race.

Final Hyena
2016-06-07, 05:01 PM
Size. Standing on their legs, the Arachnoids average around 7 foot in height, and have light frames averaging 100 pounds in weight.
So Medium?

Mountainkin Bloodline (Lawful Neutral)
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2.
Mountain’s Toughness. Your Hit Point maximum increases by 1, and increases by 1 every time you gain a level.
This is much better than the last option. I would be tempted to say no con bonus.

Junglehood Bloodline (Chaotic Neutral)
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Mask of the Wild. You can attempt to hide even when you are lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.
This isn't great, strength in a race that gets dex which rarely benefit each other, not to mention how long it takes to make armour for you. Full plate is 1500 gp now 4500 gp and so takes 900 days to make, unless there is a great supply of Arachnoid armour around, which again as they're a dex race not likely. I would recommend no strength buffs. Honestly I could live with this being +1 dex.
Although can they use a shield? If so they could make a decent barbarian and so the sub class has a use.

Edit; The class tilts on being balanced and being a bit too strong, some of the later sub races that gives a variety of spells might give a bit too much.

Ralcos
2016-06-07, 05:05 PM
So Medium?

This is much better than the last option. I would be tempted to say no con bonus.

This isn't great, strength in a race that gets dex which rarely benefit each other, not to mention how long it takes to make armour for you. Full plate is 1500 gp now 4500 gp and so takes 900 days to make, unless there is a great supply of Arachnoid armour around, which again as they're a dex race not likely. I would recommend no strength buffs. Honestly I could live with this being +1 dex.
Although can they use a shield? If so they could make a decent barbarian and so the sub class has a use.

Edit; The class tilts on being balanced and being a bit too strong, some of the later sub races that gives a variety of spells might give a bit too much.

Edited based on suggestions.
Well, I could just remove the Celestial and Infernal/Abyssal bloodlines, if that improves the race as a whole...

JNAProductions
2016-06-07, 06:40 PM
Seems pretty balanced. One thing is Telepathy needs a range-as written, it's infinite distance.

Ralcos
2016-06-07, 06:46 PM
Seems pretty balanced. One thing is Telepathy needs a range-as written, it's infinite distance.

Whoops. I forgot to add that.
Edited.

Ralcos
2016-06-08, 01:15 PM
No other feedback?
I want to make it seem like this race is playable, so any help is VERY appreciated.

SuchADiceGuy
2016-06-08, 02:25 PM
Overall, this is a great custom species, but I do have a few suggestions.

You mention that these guys can't hold weapons, which is fine. But if they can't hold weapons, then they probably won't be able to hold material components for their spells, right? If that's the case, then there aren't many class options for this race, since a lot of spells require material components.

I'd also like to see some lore on these guys. Do they live in isolated caves all around the realm? I imagine that, since they lack opposable thumbs, they can't really build homes. How do they view outsiders? What would compel them to leave their homes? How common are they? How to other humanoids respond to their presence? I know you said they can't speak, but can they still e mit sounds from their mouths, like hissing or something?

Also, the fact that they don't have any ranged attacks is a bit troubling. Maybe you can have a subspecies that fires web balls or something?

From a mechanical standpoint, though, these guys are really good. Their benefits and drawbacks are reasonable, while also making them distinct enoughto stand out from the other species. Great job!

Ralcos
2016-06-08, 02:33 PM
Overall, this is a great custom species, but I do have a few suggestions.

You mention that these guys can't hold weapons, which is fine. But if they can't hold weapons, then they probably won't be able to hold material components for their spells, right? If that's the case, then there aren't many class options for this race, since a lot of spells require material components.

I'd also like to see some lore on these guys. Do they live in isolated caves all around the realm? I imagine that, since they lack opposable thumbs, they can't really build homes. How do they view outsiders? What would compel them to leave their homes? How common are they? How to other humanoids respond to their presence? I know you said they can't speak, but can they still emit sounds from their mouths, like hissing or something?

Also, the fact that they can't use any ranged weapons is a bit troubling. Maybe you can have a subspecies that fires web balls or something?

From a mechanical standpoint, though, these guys are really good. Their benefits and drawbacks are reasonable, while also making them distinct enough to stand out from the other species. Great job!

I was trying to imply with their Mandibles feature that they can do certain tasks that involve precision, which includes manipulation of some handheld items, including tools, material components, etc.
Maybe I could give them the ability to wield weapons with the Light keyword with these facial mandibles?

I just imagined this folk as, put basically, intelligent giant spiders. They prefer spaces like caves, catacombs, and other spaces that would allow them to live like spiders. Their "racial" language involves communication of telepathic images as well as hisses and other similar noises.

I'm not necessarily any good at making lore (or, at least, lore that would fit the template used in official materials and homebrew), so I like to leave it open for others to interpret.

And thanks! I try to make my races unique but fun and reasonable.

EDITED: Added subrace, based on suggestions. :)
Also edited Mandibles and added the use of shields.

Ralcos
2016-06-10, 12:19 AM
So, this race is good to play now?
Any more suggestions, ideas, and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ralcos
2016-06-13, 03:07 PM
Sorry for the Thread Necromancy.

Added the ability to use weapons, but gives Disadvantage to the use of weapons with the Heavy property. Does this make the race better for play?