PDA

View Full Version : Assassin subclass features replace

WrittenInBlood
2016-06-11, 11:13 AM
I never liked mid-level Assassin features. With their downtime requirements and "you can do this" mechanics, they always appeared to me more like feats, or as designed for an NPC villain class. Definitely not for dynamic, action-packed class as rogue is. So, if you already read this, please spare a moment to look at my proposed replacements.

Clean job (9th)
When you attack surprised creature, you can knock it out instead of dealing Sneak attack damage. Creature makes CON save with DC = 8+your Strength modifier+your proficiency bonus, on failure falling unconscious until it takes any damage or someone uses an action to wake it up. Base weapon damage is dealt normally.

Atrocious attack (13th)
Once in your turn, when you deal Sneak attack damage, you can roll all of the Sneak attack damage dice that scored 6 one additional time and add it to the damage you deal with this attack.

Final Hyena
2016-06-11, 11:36 AM
Interesting options.

Atrocious attack at end game boosts damage by 5 & 5/6 on average (when you hit a sneak attack).
That might be a bit much.

I do love the idea of Clean Job, I'm currently making some class feature alternate abilities, would you mind if I used it?

WrittenInBlood
2016-06-12, 04:25 AM
Go ahead, that's why it's here.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-06-12, 07:12 AM
Even disregarding the obvious concerns of changing noncombat abilities for combat ones, Clean Job has a few problems.

1. The DC can potentially be extremely high, since Str rogues are a thing. One could potentially be getting a DC of 23, when the DC of virtually every other ability in the game caps out at 19 without magic. I recommend changing it to the normal 8+Str/Dex Mod+Proficiency Bonus.

2. The effect on a successful save is a bit much - giving free advantage on all attacks against the target, making it fail all strength and dexterity saves, and stopping it from using reactions and legendary actions even if it saves, with no resource expenditure? Really? I recommend changing this to either simply having no effect on a successful save, or simply making the target lose its reaction for the turn.

WrittenInBlood
2016-06-13, 01:14 AM
concerns

You got the point. DC formula for Clean job was meant to connect it with Sneak attack prowess, but using proficiency bonus can reflect it as well. Maybe I shouldn't struggle too much to make my features mechanically distinct? And about effect on successful save, probably I let fluff to carry me off :smallwink: So, if target wins a save, is still surprised, thus negating his reaction is redundant. No effect on success seems OK.