PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Kind-A Race

JNAProductions
2016-06-13, 03:15 PM
Ability Score Increase-Your Wisdom score increases by 2. (2)

Age-The Kind are effectively immortal, given sufficient sustenance, and reach maturity at age 30.

Alignment-The Kind are near-universally good aligned, with no real preference on the law-chaos axis.

Size-The Kind are Small sized, standing about 4' tall. They're lightweight, being related to Flumphs, and so weigh only about 40 pounds on average. (-.5)

Speed-Despite their small size, The Kind are quite nimble and quick, almost floating along the ground. Their speed is 30' foot. (0)

Full Of Hot Air-The Kind are filled with small air sacs, which allows them to float along much more easily than most. Their jump distance and height are doubled, and they have resistance to falling damage. (.5)

Emotion Feeders-The Kind live off of others joyful emotions, and so require no ordinary food or water. So long as they have good company during a short or long rest, they are treated as having eaten and drank for a day.

Note: The Kind can survive off of regular food and water. If they do so for more than a week, they suffer a single level of exhaustion that cannot go away until they feed properly. Most Kind find the thought of subsisting on regular food grotesque, but are willing to do so in emergencies.

Darkvision-In shades of light blues and greens. (1)

Natural Magic-You know the Spare The Dying Cantrip, and may use it as a bonus action. Once you reach 3rd level, you may cast Cure Wounds or Healing Word once per long rest as a second level spell, using Wisdom as your spellcasting stat. Once you reach 5th level, you may cast Prayer of Healing once per long rest. (1.5)

Point Value-4.5

The Compassionate

Ability Score Increase-Your Charisma increases by 1. (1)

Succor and Ease-You may heal wounds from others at a cost to yourself. As an action, once per short rest, you may transfer damage from another adjacnet creature to yourself. Choose any amount of damage, up to your level times your proficiency bonus. (2 at level 1, 15 at level 5, 36 at level 9, etc.) You take that much damage (and it cannot be resisted or ignored in any way) and your target regains that many hit points. (1)

Point Value-2, for a total of 6.5

The Brave

Ability Score Increase-Your Strength increases by 1. (1)

Brave-You have advantage on saving throws against being Frightened. (.5)

Point Value-1.5, for a total of 6

Final Hyena
2016-06-13, 03:48 PM
I have no concerns balance wise, i'm not sure if this is based on an actual think I just noticed this feature;

Emotion Feeders-The Kind live off of others joyful emotions, and so require no ordinary food or water. So long as they have good company during a short or long rest, they are treated as having eaten and drank for a day.
and thought it would be interesting if you had a subrace that empowered you from others hate/pain.

JNAProductions
2016-06-13, 03:50 PM
I have no concerns balance wise, i'm not sure if this is based on an actual think I just noticed this feature;

and thought it would be interesting if you had a subrace that empowered you from others hate/pain.

That'd probably be a different race altogether. But thanks for the idea.

Arkhios
2016-06-14, 02:48 AM
Just curious: What does the Kind look like?

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 09:03 AM
Humanoid in form, but with minor tentacles around, sort of like a shorter Asari. In addition, they have pale blue or purple skin.

1Forge
2016-06-14, 11:54 AM
cool ideas, but whats your campaign balance like? The Kind seem to have a lot of abilities along with an ability score increase, perhaps you could include a catch of some kind? (like maybe long rests with upset or hateful people give a level of exhaustion?)

Of course if other races are balanced similarly or other factors come into play there shouldn't be a problem I think.

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 11:56 AM
cool ideas, but whats your campaign balance like? The Kind seem to have a lot of abilities along with an ability score increase, perhaps you could include a catch of some kind? (like maybe long rests with upset or hateful people give a level of exhaustion?)

Of course if other races are balanced similarly or other factors come into play there shouldn't be a problem I think.

They should be balanced against the PHB races. If anything, they're a little weaker.

JeenLeen
2016-06-14, 12:05 PM

This ability looks dangerous. In a really depressed place, or when isolated, a Kind will starve to (or, well, suffer exhaustion to the point of) death. It also means that, if for some reason they could not rest at all during a given day, they risk exhaustion for starvation and dehydration, likely in addition to whatever is preventing rest.

I recommend having it so that this can replace regular food and drink, but allow them to eat/drink in place of emotion if necessary. Maybe they generally find it crass and unpalatable, but an option. (If that was your intent, I'd say just make it explicit.)

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 12:07 PM
This ability looks dangerous. In a really depressed place, or when isolated, a Kind will starve to (or, well, suffer exhaustion to the point of) death. It also means that, if for some reason they could not rest at all during a given day, they risk exhaustion for starvation and dehydration, likely in addition to whatever is preventing rest.

I recommend having it so that this can replace regular food and drink, but allow them to eat/drink in place of emotion if necessary. Maybe they generally find it crass and unpalatable, but an option. (If that was your intent, I'd say just make it explicit.)

Made it more clear. Thanks for pointing that out.

2016-06-24, 11:28 AM
Oh this is just too cute, love it!

DracoKnight
2016-06-24, 12:30 PM
I really like these guys ^_^

They'd be an interesting cleric - or OOOOO!

A pacifist kind who refuses to pick up weapons, but when monsters attacked their friends they started swinging their fists. Most of the time they're a pacifist, but if you dare hurt their friends, they will finish you. (Open Hand 6/Life Cleric 14)