PDA

View Full Version : A wizard did it

Vuzzmop
2007-06-28, 09:53 PM
Ovinomancer, Master of Sheep
d4

Pyromancers use fire. Necromancers use death. Ovinomancers use......Sheep. The eccentric few who take up the mantle of the ovinomancer are adept at turning powerful enemies into harmless sheep, and can themselves gain sheep-like abilities to shelter them from cold. Over time, the Ovinomancer gains such an understanding of the arcane secrets held within a sheep's woolly coat that a portion of their soul, the sorcerer or wizard's familiar, gains a sheepish appearance.

Prerequisites:

Knowledge (Arcane): 10
Knowledge (Nature): 2
Handle animal: 2
Spell focus: Transmutation
Alignment : any non-lawful
Special: Must have a familiar
Special: Able to cast 3 transmutation spells, one of which must be 3rd level or higher.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting
1 0 0 0 2 Ovinise, Insulate
2 1 0 0 3 Ovinise II 1 level of arcane spellcasting class
3 1 1 1 3 Greater Insulate 1 level of arcane spellcasting class
4 2 1 1 4 Familiar With Sheep 1 level of arcane spellcasting class
5 2 1 1 4 Mass Ovinise 1 level of arcane spellcasting class

Class Skills (2+Intelligence Modifier) : Concentration(con), Handle Animal (Cha), Knowledge (Arcane) (int),Knowledge (Nature)(int), Profession (wis), Spellcraft (int)

Class Abilities:

Ovinise: A number of times per day equal to your primary spellcasting ability modifier, the Ovivomancer may attempt to render any opponent that fails a DC 15+class level fort save within 60 feet harmless by transforming them into a sheep, as per the "baleful polymorph" spell but for the following exceptions. This ability can only transform opponents into sheep, that when transformed regard the opponent as friendly for a number of rounds equal to the Ovinomancer's class level.

Insulate: Once per day, as a move action, the Ovinomancer can grow a layer of wool which gives them energy resistance 5 cold and 5 sonic, but causes them 5 extra damage from fire. This effect lasts for 2 rounds plus the ovinomancer's class level.

Ovinise 2: As with Ovinise, but if the opponent also fails a will save (at the same DC), the sheep is under the effect of "suggestion".

Familiar with sheep: At fourth level, an Ovinomancer's familiar becomes a tiny, floating sheep with wool the colour of the pc's choice, keeping it's bonuses to skills etc, but losing any natural attacks, gaining a flight speed of 20ft with average maneuverability and the ability to speak common like the raven familiar. Once a day, as a standard action, the familiar can turn into a flying mount large enough for the Ovinomancer to ride, with a flight speed of 20 feet and clumsy manueverability. The Ovinomancer requires no ride skill check, and the transformation lasts for one minute, before the floating sheep reverts to it's tiny form.

Mass Ovinise: As with Ovinise 2, but now the Ovinomancer can Ovinise up to three opponents, no two of which can be further than twenty feet apart.

Greater Insulate : As with insulate, but the Ovinomancer now gains energy resistance 10 to cold and sonic (still taking 5 extra damage from fire), and gains a ram attack from the curled horns which sprout from their head, which deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage.

So, tell me what you think of it. and, if anyone was wondering, yes, I am a New Zealander.

Callix
2007-06-28, 10:19 PM
2 caster levels for a few sheeps? Fun, maybe, but I can't see either serious crunchers or serious RPers wanting to play this. Although being able to sheep adds is fun. I know. I have a mage. They don't lose any caster levels to get sheep.

Vuzzmop
2007-06-28, 10:27 PM
I know it's a bit weird, but I probably wouldn't have made it if it wasn't. Should I add caster levels to levels 1 and 5?

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-28, 10:34 PM
I'm not that familiar with the game, but... losing a caster level is a very serious thing. The abilities while good, are not worth two lost caster levels as I see it. Even one is a real stretch.

Vuzzmop
2007-06-28, 10:40 PM
Cool. Changing now. Just wondering, would anyone here consider playing it or using one as an npc?

Callix
2007-06-28, 10:41 PM
I'd seriously consider playing it... If I could ever find a game in which I can play an arcane caster. I'm usually the healbot...

Vuzzmop
2007-06-28, 10:44 PM
Great, because nnone of my group will, and my DM made me swear I wouldn't.

Joltz
2007-06-28, 11:00 PM
I must say, this is the most eccentric thing I've seen yet :smalleek: I may subject my payers to this if they bug me too much. I'll probably play one if I ever play a spellcaster. It's not imbalanced or anything. Just crazy

I have a few questions/suggestions too

How long does insulate last? Also, does greater insulate have a different duration?

The familiar with sheep ability... Does the character's existing familiar simply take on the new appearance (and shapechanging/flight ability) and keep whatever stats/bonuses it had before? (eg. cat familiar becomes a pink sheep. Does it still give it's master +3 to move silently and does it still have 2 claws and a bite?) Also, it would be nice to know the sheep-type familiar's fly speed and maneuverability (maybe 20-30 ft fly w/ perfect maneuverability?). If it were my class, I'd have the sheep-type familiar loose any natural attacks (and natural flight) it had and gain a single slam attack (or maybe a bite... do sheep bite? you'd know better than me). For simplicity's sake I'd let the familiar keep it's other traits (like racial bonuses to skills).

Oh! One more thing, do levels in Ovinomancer stack with levels in whatever class gives you a familiar for the purposes of your familiar's abilities? Wait a sec... *looks at prereqs* the ability to obtain a familiar isn't in the prereqs. Should it?

Finally, the save DC for Ovinise seems a little off. 15+class level is workable. I think 10+class level+casting modifier would follow the usual formulas a little better though. This is just my opinion though. I'd really like to know about the other stuff I mentioned though.

Great, because nnone of my group will, and my DM made me swear I wouldn't.
oh yeah, that made me rofl too

Vuzzmop
2007-06-28, 11:54 PM
Okay, I've made a few fixes. Anyone got any ideas for expanding fluff?

Callix
2007-06-29, 12:20 AM
Re fluff: Ovinomancy is an art that shifts in popularity. Many of its greatest practitioners had no formal training whatsoever. Most notably, a young sheperd who discovered sorcerous abilities when attacked by a bear quickly became one of the world's foremost ovinomancers and oviniphiles. Ovinomancers often adventure to improve their sheepishness, or to uncover long-lost sheep-related secrets, such as a long-lost breed.

Vuzzmop
2007-06-29, 01:41 AM
Ovinophiles? Creepy.

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-29, 01:47 AM
Ovinophiles? Creepy.

Huh, I thought you said you were a Kiwi?
jk, jk.

I like it. It reminds me of warcraft 2. I can definitely see some of my friends playing it.

Vuzzmop
2007-06-29, 02:37 AM
Huh, I thought you said you were a Kiwi?
jk, jk.

I like it. It reminds me of warcraft 2. I can definitely see some of my friends playing it.

Ouch. You know, we aren't all sheep shaggers over here. Thanks for the comparison to warcraft though.

Callix
2007-06-29, 03:20 AM
In case you hadn't noticed, my mage comments were WoW related. One of the Mage's most long-term useful abilities in World of Warcraft is the ability to turn your opponent into a helpless sheep. This prevents a group of enemies from wiping the floor with you.

Vhaidara
2007-06-29, 03:29 AM
You are the weirdest person on these forums.

Demented
2007-06-29, 03:30 AM
Reminds me more of Heretic.

Only, I seem to recall that the staff (or some object) of the ovinomancer made your enemy into chickens....

Vuzzmop
2007-06-29, 03:32 AM
Sorry, no idea about any of this WOW stuff. I got the idea for the name from an MTG card.

Ichneumon
2007-06-29, 05:56 AM
You do realise there are no core stats for sheep...

Vuzzmop
2007-06-29, 03:01 PM
I'm working on it, but don't they have goats? With a few fixes it could easily be a sheep.

AKA_Bait
2007-06-29, 03:23 PM
This is awesome. I am so going to use an NPC with this class on my players. AHAHAHAH.

Vuzzmop
2007-06-29, 03:42 PM
Thanks. I've been thinking about making it for a week, but none of my d&d group liked the idea. My mate Ben finally agreed to help me with it as long as I never used it. I lied.

Jasdoif
2007-06-29, 04:07 PM
Reminds me more of Heretic.

Only, I seem to recall that the staff (or some object) of the ovinomancer made your enemy into chickens....The Morph Ovum turned your enemies into chickens, complete with sound effects. And if you killed them while under its effects, feathers flew everywhere.

Good times.

asqwasqw
2007-06-29, 05:30 PM
I just imagined a sheep with wool on fire. Heh , heh.

Vuzzmop
2007-06-29, 05:38 PM
You are a horrible person. I love it!

Demented
2007-06-29, 06:17 PM
You can scare off a cavalry charge with 'em, or so I've heard. Maybe it was goats. =P

Anxe
2007-06-30, 06:01 AM
That class is awesome. A few fixes I would make:
Get rid of the first spellcasting level to make it balanced. Right now if a wizard takes this all he loses is a feat and if a sorcerer takes it he doesn't lose anything.
You misspelled one as "on" in the transmutation spells requirement.
One of the requirements should definitely be "Wood For Sheep."

Wraithy
2007-06-30, 08:27 AM
first the bard and now this?!
why do all of the best classes have to be non-lawful?

Aquillion
2007-06-30, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't make it cost any levels, but I would add more requirements.

First of all, Baleful Polymorph is a 5th level spell... that means wizards normally learn it at level 9. This PRC is giving its effect to them at level 6. I'd raise the requirements to fix that. Either require 11 or 12 points in some skill, or make the ability to cast Baleful Polymorph a prerequisite.

I would require several points in Profession: Shepherd or Handle Animal, too. (But not too many points of Handle Animal, since it won't be a class skill to most arcane casters.) The useless skill Profession: Shepherd or cross-class (and probably useless) Handle Animal would make it less of a freebie.

Vuzzmop
2007-06-30, 03:10 PM
first the bard and now this?!
why do all of the best classes have to be non-lawful?

Transmutation is the use of chaotic magic to cause some form of change, therefore, the Ovinomancer must never lose sight of the greater knowledge that change is life, and without it, we are not truly living. It is through this understanding that transmutation magic is used.

Pronounceable
2007-06-30, 05:19 PM
Familiar's name should be Harold.

Hexen 2 had sheep transformation. Too bad it didn't work on bosses.

Aside from those, I love it. I'll be using it somehow.