PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [3.PF] Feat to become large?

gadren
2016-06-14, 02:01 AM
I want to make a feat for my campaign setting for Orcs, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears that allows them to be especially large for their race, is the following balanced?:

Oversized:
Whether you have some ogre in your blood or are just blessed by the Blood Lord, you are exceptionally tall for you race. However, you are a bit clumsy for your size, and your heart has difficulty keeping up with your huge proportions.
Prerequisite: Must be an Orc, Hobgoblin, or Bugbear. This feat can ONLY be taken at character creation.
Benefit: You are size Large instead of Medium. You stand between 8 to 9 feet tall (and most likely weigh between 400 and 500 lbs). This does NOT give you a bonus to Strength, and you take a -2 penalty to your Dexterity and Constitution scores.

sengmeng
2016-06-14, 08:26 AM
Since this comes with a penalty, it should be considered a trait, not a feat. I certainly wouldn't take it with it costing a feat. I think it's balanced to break even.

Berenger
2016-06-14, 08:55 AM
Let's look at the PF Race Builder...

Being large size instead of medium size costs 7 RP. It also raises STR by +2 and decreases DEX by -2.

A flexible bonus feat at 1st level costs 4 RP, so sacrificing the flexible starting feat at level 1 should be worth 4 RP.

This leaves 3 RP unaccounted for. A flat +2 to an ability score costs 4 RP. I'm not sure if this should be directly translated to "a -2 on an ability score gives you 4 RP", but a 3:8 rate seems to harsh. I think you should either remove the -2 to CON or allow the +2 to STR (possibly leaving the choice to the player).

Or steal mutations from d20 Modern.

http://www.d20resources.com/future.d20.srd/mutations/

This could get you Enlarged Form (count as large size whenever it is advantageous with none of the penalties) for Ability Decay (Dexterity -2) and either Lethargy (-2 Reflex Saves) or Frailty (-2 Fortitude Saves, I think this represents the weak-heart-issue better than a penalty to CON since it leaves the hit points intact and lowers endurance)*.

*A -1 or -2 penalty to a Save or Initiative could also be a less severe alternative to the stat decrease in your original draft.

gadren
2016-06-14, 12:36 PM
Ok, thanks for the input!