PDA

View Full Version : Plant Master, alternate Druid

Avigor
2016-06-20, 06:20 PM
I'm trying to put together an alternate Druid inspired by Poison Ivy.

First, casting stat changes to CHA, mostly for fluff reasons.

The part I'm most struggling with is a trade of wildshape for the ability to spontaneously grow or conjure plant creatures (thinking a number of critters equal to the CHA bonus, CR scaled with level, possibly limited times per rest ala the wildshape it is replacing). A big problem is that the MM is insufficiently stocked with plants for this, especially if the CR goes beyond 2. Are there any homebrew plant monsters out there anyone can point me to? Or a really good method to convert monster type?

Also I'm planning on changing the spell list to remove the elemental and animal spells in favor of poison (and maybe acid) spells; any feedback on how balanced or broken would it be to refluff spell effect appearances to add more plant spells (like arcane lock becomes roots jamming the door in the frame or a fungus fusing it shut, or Maximilian's Earthen Grasp becomes a big violent vine grabbing the target)? I ruled out just using land circle options as they have a lot of elemental selections still.

Any other ACF advice here would be welcome.

EDIT: In case you didn't catch it, this is for 5th ed. Also earthen grasp is in the elemental evil supplement, forgot to specify that.

Fii
2016-06-23, 07:51 AM
I am unfamiliar with 5th edition.. but I can recommend taking inspiration from the following from Pathfinder:

Groveborn Sorcerer Wildblooded archetype variant of Verdant Bloodline:

Lush Summoning (Su): At 3rd level, whenever you summon creatures with a conjuration (summoning) spell, you can decide that they appear green and leafy. The natural armor bonus of such creatures is increased by +2, and they gain a +4 bonus on saves against paralysis, poison, polymorph, sleep, and stunning.

This bloodline power replaces photosynthesis.